Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2015, 19:31   #106

Re: Someone keeps adjusting my dockline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Rock Candy View Post
Lordy! Lordy! just don't leave us hanging. I read this whole thing and I can't imagine this, and the ending has to be something astounding. Mac, who waits with baited breath and tingles running up and down my spine.
I have no idea what's going on here. I expected the backseat driver types to start calling me names and of course speculating that I am the problem and "oh silly it's just the wind", etc, but yeah this is kinda nuts.

It's raining and gusting pretty good. I can't permanently fix my lines, nor do I want to do that right now because if I do that I can't figure out who is doing this in the first place.

As I mentioned before, he only visits during the week during a specific time of the day. I've never paid close enough attention to know exactly which days, nor do I wait around every day for him to appear. I'll update when he comes back and this is resolved. I did not think the entire forum was going to want hourly updates.

For the rest of you complaining, stop reading if this is annoying you. Stop calling me names because you have nothing better to do. To everyone who offered advice that was reasonable and still didn't call me any names, THANK YOU. I was just looking for some advice, and it was few and far between but I got it and I thank you kind and reasonable people.
Old 08-02-2015, 19:37   #107

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I have another idea...I learned a few years back to make a loop of chain with a ring and shackle for abrasive cleats on the dock. Rather than chewing up my nice new docklines, I had a loop on the end of the dockline with the shackle through the ring and chain. Then tied the bitter end on deck.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 08-02-2015, 21:04   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Hmmm.... My daughter lives on a boat about twelve slips down the fairway from where we are currently tied up. I think I'll go down there three or four times a week and change the length of her dockline. I'll report back to you and tell you what she thinks. Of course she might see me and recognize her crazy father, but if not, it might give you sort of a control or baseline for what people would likely do. I'll bet anything that the word would be out. She'd talk to people on site and not on the internet. The marina staff and all her slip neighbors would hear about it. There would likely be twenty people that would see me the next time and confront me on her behalf.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:58   #109

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySailor View Post
............. As I mentioned before, he only visits during the week during a specific time of the day. I've never paid close enough attention to know exactly which days, nor do I wait around every day for him to appear. I'll update when he comes back and this is resolved..
How do you know it's a male?

Seriously, you've been given good advice to fix the lines in place. The fact that it's raining is a pretty poor excuse not to do this if you are really concerned about it. Fix them in place using any of the methods suggested. Do it now. Problem solved.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:28   #110

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Here is my "real thought...

If the following example of overthink seems sexist blame Dave Barry...

"Norm, did Elaine ever own a horse?"
Ex that is Great I should print out a copy and give it to my teenage niece so maybe she will stop worrying about every little thing her boyfriend does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ternang View Post
During the summer we dock dwellers, have been known to shorten supposedly permanent length lines of our more experienced sailing comrades and sit patiently swilling cold drinks and watching the show as they return to their dock and puzzle over the delima. Our laughter and the offering of cold beverages assuages their embarrassment and their pride.
I wish you hadn't shared this because now I'm going to get yelled at by my wife for doing this at the boat yard
Old 09-02-2015, 05:51   #111

Boat: Bristol 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySailor View Post
A joke it is not, and as a single female who has had issues with stalkers yes ok I'm not comfortable confronting someone who is messing with my stuff on purpose. Doesn't mean I'm a coward or have no common sense. It means I've been in some frightening situations, and someone coming into my space and messing with my stuff is something I do not know how to address. Hence why I came here. Glad you are getting a good laugh.
Sassy- time to grow a pair and get over yourself. Sorry but as a female in a formerly battered situation I can't believe you haven't learned to be more confident. Continuing to be afraid and nonconfrontational just makes you a target again. Stalkers/abusers are not attracted to strong women- they like those that will avoid confrontation and take whatever is dished out. If you really want to quit being a victim then get the heck out of the saloon, into the cockpit and ask what the heck they're doing, be leaning on a ballbat at the time if you need it for confidence. But get out there and quit being afraid. We've all dealt with crap in the past but you have to learn from it. Sorry to be so harsh but reality is harsh.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:18   #112

Boat: (none)

Sassy,
Just my 2 cents: DO NOT CONFRONT. It appears to me 1) Someone is smitten with you, and is harmless. It would be OK to confront this guy, he's probably just a little awkward with women and doesn't know how to meet you. (you probably don't want his company ) Thinks playing a little prank will make you think he's cute. Rejecting him will put an end to the situation and you'll be OK. 2) Someone is smitten with you and ISN'T harmless. Confronting this person and ultimately rejecting him, will set him off and you'll end up on the headlines: Woman's boat found adrift at sea, no one on board. Since you said you have had issues with stalking in the past, I'm sure this is forefront in your mind. 3) Just a couple kids playing a "Harmless" prank. Could be serious, could be harmless. Depends on the kids state of mind.
My recommendation would be, as others have suggested, go get yourself a TrailCam that takes both stills and video. This will allow you to gather some information before deciding what to do. Or, evidence to take to the authorities. At minimum it will set your mind at ease. You'll see exactly what's causing it, and you'll know if your crazy or not! OK, don't take that seriously, I'm not suggesting you're crazy
Wishing you good hunting!
Old 09-02-2015, 07:38   #113

OK it IS creepy. Informing the harbormaster is the first thing - tell him your not sure whether to be concerned or not and don't want to escalate the situation. I thought tide / good Samaritan but too obvious for a live aboard.

1) I first thought a bum might want to relieve himself and needed some privacy while being conscientious enough to not pee on the side of your boat. Would your dock finger be the most convenient for such an act from a bum crashed, possibly in a copse nearby on shore? Even another boater who hates to pump out might think this a convenient "Victimless" crime...

2) Not to feed paranoia, but would letting out the dock line allow a voyeur a "better" view inside your boat through an uncovered porthole or hatch? Possibly while stationed in the spot most difficult to see from shore?

I applaud your decision not to confront. The possibility exists that any crazy person has fantasized about how this situation will play out... You need a confidant who will "happen by" quickly if you call, and be concerned about "their friends" boat...
Old 09-02-2015, 08:16   #114

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Haven't read the entire thread (only a page & a half as yet), so it's likely that most of the reasonable & legal options have been covered already. So... if you're not up for confronting the jerk, here are a few fun & of at best questionable legality (seems like most of the fun things nowadays are illegal don't it).

Get a pet alligator like Don Johnson had in Miami Vice.

Put on 2 pair of rubber gloves, & mix some DMSO with a moderately powerful laxative.
Rub said mixture onto a spare dockline.
Setup camera out of sight of where perp comes to visit. And near door of closest, land based head, nearby.
Install said line (using gloves) during the peak hours when said creep comes by to adjust things. Let the "modified" dockline "adjust" him.
Remove mod'd dockline during non-peak "adjustment" hours (again using gloves).
Whip up some Pop Corn to enjoy during your viewing pleasure ;-)

Or... Hire These Guys. Yeah, I know, in the SEALS are protecting a car, but they are SEALS!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:48   #115

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
SassySailor, You have been given a few different suggestions of how to set your docklines so they cannot be easily tampered with. You haven't acknowledged these suggestions and the thread keeps going on and on with some really idiotic posts.

To make things simple, why don't you follow the suggestions to make it so people can't readjust the lines. If you do this, the problem will either go away or the person who is supposedly adjusting them will come to you and tell you why he or she is doing it.

End of drama.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:23   #116

Old 09-02-2015, 09:41   #117
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
Sassy- time to grow a pair and get over yourself. Sorry but as a female in a formerly battered situation I can't believe you haven't learned to be more confident. Continuing to be afraid and nonconfrontational just makes you a target again. Stalkers/abusers are not attracted to strong women- they like those that will avoid confrontation and take whatever is dished out. If you really want to quit being a victim then get the heck out of the saloon, into the cockpit and ask what the heck they're doing, be leaning on a ballbat at the time if you need it for confidence. But get out there and quit being afraid. We've all dealt with crap in the past but you have to learn from it. Sorry to be so harsh but reality is harsh.
Do as Biker says, and quit being afraid of your own shadow.
You've been offered some excellent advice which you haven't acknowledged.
'Don't really understand why? I'm convinced now that the problem is most likely on your end of the dock line...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sexy_ak47.jpg
Views:	1362
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	96903  
Old 09-02-2015, 09:43   #118

There are nuts in this world. This situation reminds me of the property line, easement issues, and trespass problems that are frequent discussions on anther website I read. Some people are just flat out Coo Coo For Coco Puffs. I certainly do not think you should confront the person for a variety of reasons.

I would talk to the marina and ask if they know what is going on. If they do not have a clue, it is picture taking time. Either get a cheap game camera which will get a photo of the person messing with the lines or you can try to get a photo yourself. Take the photo to the office and see if they know who it is. The game camera will record the time and date of the photo so you should be able to find out the pattern of the person messing with the lines.

Visit the marina office with the photo and see if they recognize the person.

If not, the game camera will tell you the most likely time when the person shows up and you can go from there.

Frankly, I would not put up a sign until I had a photo(s) of the person and pattern of when the person was touching the lines. I would want to know who was doing this before I notified them I was on to them.

Good Luck,
Dan
Old 09-02-2015, 10:08   #119

Frankly I think it is time to close the thread. Take some action, whatever it is, and let us know. We are to the point of everything being in jest.

Not that jest isn't funny. But if it is a real problem only you can solve it.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:09   #120

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Is it possible someone's trying to get you out in the fairway to get you kicked out and get your slip?
I'd just make a dockline loop the right length to loop through the dock cleat and through your deck cleat. Not adjustable, one splice.

goat
Closed Thread

Tags
dock