Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2015, 12:18   #61

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
Re: Someone keeps adjusting my dockline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySailor View Post
I could easily hide out behind my dodger, but if I had my hose in the cockpit that would be very obvious. Perhaps I'll wait with a bucket full of water instead
Ice water

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-02-2015, 12:26   #62

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
A joke it is not, and as a single female who has had issues with sItalkers yes ok I'm not comfortable confronting someone who is messing with my stuff on purpose. Doesn't mean I'm a coward or have no common sense. It means I've been in some frightening situations, and someone coming into my space and messing with my stuff is something I do not know how to address. Hence why I came here. Glad you are getting a good laugh.
I didn't realize you where female. It is some idiot. I would go to the cops. Also have a fire arm handy. Probably just so poor bastard with no tact with a woman.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:27   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
A joke it is not, and as a single female who has had issues with stalkers yes ok I'm not comfortable confronting someone who is messing with my stuff on purpose. Doesn't mean I'm a coward or have no common sense. It means I've been in some frightening situations, and someone coming into my space and messing with my stuff is something I do not know how to address. Hence why I came here. Glad you are getting a good laugh.
I understand your concern, but an inquiry does not need to be confrontational.

Hello, Do you think I should be tied differently?
Good morning, Are you making an adjustment for me?
...... Thanks, but I'm concerned with my ability to safely step to the finger pier.

The person is already there. It might be best to have a polite contact and, for sure, make an inquiry with the marina staff which should also be an inquiry and not confrontational.

By all means, others at the marina and especially the marina staff should be informed that this person is making these unwanted adjustments and you a concerned about his motives.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:52   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Definitely bring the issue to the harbor masters attention if it makes you uncomfortable then the marina staff need to address it now not later
Old 08-02-2015, 12:56   #65

Boat: Columbia 8.7
Exclamation Re: Someone keeps adjusting my dockline

WELL.....WHO OR WHAT WAS IT? NO FOLLOW UP EXPLANATION
Old 08-02-2015, 12:57   #66
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
I could easily hide out behind my dodger, but if I had my hose in the cockpit that would be very obvious. Perhaps I'll wait with a bucket full of water instead
So you wouldn't just go ask the person when you see the shadow, but you'll throw a bucket of water on him/her
Old 08-02-2015, 13:06   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by palm trees View Post
WELL.....WHO OR WHAT WAS IT? NO FOLLOW UP EXPLANATION
The last word from the OP was within the hour. Don't expect that some resolution is not forthcoming.

btw: It's our standard communication on this forum to avoid all capitalized letters. 'thanks
Old 08-02-2015, 13:25   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
The last word from the OP was within the hour. Don't expect that some resolution is not forthcoming.

btw: It's our standard communication on this forum to avoid all capitalized letters. 'thanks
Thank you for this, Hudson Force. It's raining today so I doubt I'll see the mystery man. It seems to be during the week, between 4-5 pm. Tomorrow I will be patiently waiting.
Old 08-02-2015, 13:31   #69

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

What is the tide like in your location? Maybe it just happens to be that the tide is going down and pulling at your cleats so the guys is doing you a favor.
Old 08-02-2015, 13:35   #70
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
While there is probably no law against meddling with your lines, there probably aren't any laws saying you can't rob a bank or kill a person ... but both are most certainly illegal.

Regardless, I'm sure there are laws that would apply to someone maliciously re-adjusting your lines.

Your best bet is to ask around, for I'm certain someone like this is telling others ... these kind want the benefit of others knowing.

The fact that this person is not knocking on your boat, tells me he/she is not doing this as his/her interpretation of a favor to you to more correctly adjust your lines to allow the stern(?) to travel away from the dock.
Ok listen, there are no laws against touching his lines. Not in the USA and your post made no sense at all. You say there are no laws against NOT robbing a bank or killing someone but its certainly illegal? On what planet is it illegal to NOT rob or kill?.
Old 08-02-2015, 13:37   #71
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I do believe and I'm not a lawyer but I do believe the act of messing with you via adjusting your lines without any form of convent would most likely come under the heading of malicious mischief which is a misdomener here in Washington
No. That statute includes ACTUAL monetary damage to your property.
Old 08-02-2015, 13:38   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
What is the tide like in your location? Maybe it just happens to be that the tide is going down and pulling at your cleats so the guys is doing you a favor.
I appreciate that everyone is giving this guy the benefit of the doubt, but even if the tides were an issue (they're not), I see no reason why someone would adjust my dock lines consistently when I am living aboard. I like my neighbors, and I know they like me, but nobody likes me THAT much to pay attention to the tides and say "oh, should release Sassy's stern dock line, don't want her boat to... stay comfortably at the dock..."
Old 08-02-2015, 13:41   #73

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

In that case, I vote for Hannibal Lecter.
Old 08-02-2015, 14:11   #74

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
Ok listen, there are no laws against touching his lines. Not in the USA and your post made no sense at all. You say there are no laws against NOT robbing a bank or killing someone but its certainly illegal? On what planet is it illegal to NOT rob or kill?.
Her. Her lines

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-02-2015, 14:20   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Magic View Post
Definitely tell the harbor master. They may know of of someone with 'problem' behaviors, and can fix it it immediately. They will be on the lookout with you, and as an authorized third party, can take measures you can't. A web cam gives you a view without having to confront anyone, and proof for the harbor master.

I've had the guards that patrol the dock readjust my lines to center the boat in the slip, as they were worried about my fenders leaving dirty marks on the hull. Thoughtful, but made it too far to easily step on and off.

Dave
I think Dave hit it. Some do gooder sees your stern close to the dock not knowing you want it that way, and recenters it for you.
Probably OCD with a symmetry fixation.
He probably doesn't know you're a liveaboard; probably doesn't even know you're onboard. In most of the marinas I've been in, the do gooders outnumber wackos. People do nice things for lots of reasons. Think of the glass half full (i.e. young, handsome, smart, rich, available)
Closed Thread

Tags
dock