Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 18:57   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Social aspects of cruising and living-aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Many of the single woman I meet. See me as the homeless guy who lives on. A boat
It isn't just the Single Woman who think like that....most dirt dwellers look at us live aboards as Homeless. In fact my kids high school counsler gave my son paperwork for the local HOMELESS SHELTER...ha ha ha...I **** you not.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 19:10   #17

I live in s florida on my 44' my. Washer, dryer, dish washer. Decent boat. I m docked at a small apartment building on the icw. The small unit in front of my boat rents for $700 I had a date visit. She ask ..
you live on a boat cause its cheap? ..

she did not understand when I said NO. ! That little apt is cheaper ...plus I out rite own this boat. Most people do not get it
On the other hand. I was on a mooring in key West. A non boating girl friend was visiting. She commented.
I can see why u like this.
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 23:27   #18

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyBeardVA View Post
I'll soon be joining the ranks of live-aboard cruisers. My plan is to live in a marina for 1,2, or 3 months per year as necessary to allow me to earn some $$. . . do not want to sever myself from work for another 2-3 years (I'm 51 this year and wanted to continuing working PT until 55). . . what expectations should I have for dating in the cruising / live-aboard community? . .

Thanks for any insights.
So, I'm not a distance cruiser in exotic locations yet, but I'll tell you my experience. I've been living aboard for three years and depending on the situation, I live aboard, in my cabin, or in a hotel. I've had gigs usually lasting 3-8 months. I had 1 break from work of 8 mo and 1 of 3 mo since I moved aboard. The women I want to date usually think my living on a boat is fine (just a bit cramped). I haven't dated a female cruiser. Most of my neighbors are crotchety old guys or couples. I meet people doing work, shopping, dining, skiing, music... no different than when I lived in an apartment. And going home to my boat is much better than going to an apartment.
Old 09-10-2013, 00:37   #19

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Women, like gold are where you find them. You just have to dig a little.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:15   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

unfortunately there are more male cruisers than female, so it is a little of whack for us.... i have found the males cruising are more dysfunctional than am i. have yet to find a viable sea loving mate, so i do not look for one.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:09   #21
cruiser

Boat: 2007 Beneteau 393 Cyclades

As a young, female cruiser, I'd say that you have a better chance of finding "dating material" on land. Unfortunately for you (and all single male cruisers out there) the proportion of girls to guys in the cruising community is not in your favor. Sure, there are plenty of us girls out cruising but most of us have a significant other along for the ride. We all love to meet people (girls, cruisers, girl cruisers, cruisers in general) so I wouldn't give up the dream b/c of a lack of probability going your way. You never know. Besides, you can always invite the land-lubber-ladies along for day sails- maybe you can even get them to clean the head.
hogHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:34   #22

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Social aspects of cruising and living-aboard

A pal of mind is seriously looking for a gal to live aboard his large boat. He has just gone down the ICW a couple hundred miles to meet a gal he "met" on a dating site.

One lady I know who dated this guy (a very nice, talented guy by the way), was said to comment when she saw the interior of his boat, "you don't have much self-esteem, do you?"

I haven't been aboard but I think many of us single sailors do let things go. Women generally don't like that too much.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:27   #23

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

I know several males that live on boats that date/pick up land females, and moor close to restaurant/bar that is frequent by females. A boat initially is a female magnet as its as an ambiance to it. However, the boat has to be reasonable in size and have female comforts. So a lot depends on the boat size and creature comforts. However, long term relationships do not last as most female move off the boatm which sound like you might be loong for,

My wife was on a small boat one time before she met me, but she is the one the decided to be a live aboard. However, the Eagle, 58 ft, 3 staterooms has the same creature comforts as a small condo/house. So land females who are willing to give boating/living aboard are out there but you have to meet/go through a lot of them. Location is key for meeting females as it should be a place they frequent and feel comfortable. Especial if they get tips and your boat is close by.

We moored for 7 years at the South End of Lake Union, Seattle which is a popular area. The owner of the Blue Water, #1 meet place, several single males, and younger couples moored/lived in the marina. No single females. So most week ends our dock was active/party. It was not unusual for the party to spill over to our boat, and in the morning find young hard bodies sleepng it off on our boat. However, 20 years ago my wife could hold her on, beside most where the age of our children.

So with the right location, and reasonable boat, you should be able to meet all the females you can handle and who knows one might be just what you are looking for. Oh! my advise when looking at boats is to bring a female along as they look/see a boat differently than males to. Its more about creutre comforts ambiance and should not look like that male cave!
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:28   #24

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

All of the above may be true, but if you are looking for that grain of wheat, you must go through a lot of chaff. Solo male from the great North West.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:28   #25

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat

Live your life doing what you enjoy. Hopefully you will meet people who enjoy the same thing. Why would you want to be with someone who doesn't want to go in the same direction you want to. No point wasting more than a couple of nights with someone who is not adventurous, that would just be a bad start to a bad ending.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:31   #26

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat

Sounds like you are very upfront with the women you date regarding your plans. That is GREAT!
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 16:46   #27

being an OLDER lady, i find guys my age and datability seek far younger women who do not sail...it is funny and fun to watch.

i laugh a lot
Old 09-10-2013, 17:12   #28
CLOD

Boat: none

I bet that if MarkJ reads this thread he will think that everyone is full of crap advise.
Old 09-10-2013, 17:14   #29

arent they?
Old 09-10-2013, 17:44   #30

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I met my GF on a "dating site". I tried the site for about a month and was ready to give up when she dropped me a line, we met, and she's learning to sail. She went all over the countryside shopping for my current boat, helped me prep it, and bring it home in pouring rain. And she's still hanging around. She likes short cruises and we're working up to longer trips. I suspect she'll always want a land base and I AM interested in an extended cruise, so we'll see if she goes along or if I'm solo.

Tags
cruising