Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2016, 10:37   #1

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
So What Do You Do At Night?

We've been living aboard for a year at the dock. Assuming all goes well this summer we'll transition to traveling and anchoring. I admit I've been spoiled with WiFi, Netflix and a local library a mile's walk away. I don't fret about provisions or things to do all day long, but sans TV and a library, we're not really into board games, what do YOU do in the evenings? I'm a reader so I can get a Kindle, but my husband, not so much.

I'm smiling as I write this, because I've tried to think when we've been cruising before and the longest was 3 weeks on a vacation, so lots of eating out and walking touristy islands, etc (no real budget). I remember listening to VHF one night in the Bahamas after 5 days of rain and this guy was just about to commit suicide he was so bored. I don't want to be that guy.

So what do YOU do? As always, thanks.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: So What Do You Do At Night??

Last time I spent an extensive time on a boat in the islands I didn't really stay up too much. Had dinner, watched the sunset and the stars come out and was usually so tired I could hardly stay awake.

Early to bed and then up with the sun. Watch the sunrise. Breakfast. Clean up a bit and then walking, diving, swimming, visiting, shopping, sailing, exploring, etc and if I had any time left do a little boat maintenance.

If it got a bit old, up anchor and sail to another island with new stuff to see, new people to meet, new things to do, new reefs to snorkel.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:49   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I don't fret about provisions or things to do all day long, but sans TV and a library, we're not really into board games, what do YOU do in the evenings?

I clean and polish my buckets

Community Rules | Advertise on Cruisers Forum
Contribute to Cruisers Wiki | Document your Adventures at Sail Blogs
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:49   #4

Boat: Hylas 54

Write a blog; recondition all the pumps, winches, windlass; make ships in a bottle; get a wifi booster; meditate; watch the shore to see if you are dragging (then do it some more); cook indian food the real way; swim; do yoga; fish; go up the mast to polish the main halyard shackle; make sushi; play poker; drink; do 100 push ups; keep a budget spreadsheet; watch sunsets; knit; make hatch covers; replace all the gaskets in the head; iron your sheets; do 100 burpees; invite guests; make cheese; make bread; change the oil; service the outboard; pump up the dinghy; walk 10 miles; run 6 miles; get a dog; invite the next boat over for dinner (indian food); do 100 crunches; volunteer; start back at the beginning.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:50   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

wot skipmac sed.
as i do not drink, i do not head for the watering holes most folks are seen stumbling in and out of.
drunks and drinking = boring.
i find stuff to do or read a real book, as wifi is not always available, despite advertisements.
ye can always watch boats drag anchor or have a mud wrestling contest (those who run aground in some areas are definitely entertainment.)
in evening, movies on flash drives are time consumers and brain numb-ers before bed.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:54   #6

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Pretty much what I did. I tried watching movies on the laptop. But my solar array wasn't up to the task, since if I did that, couldn't start the motor in the morning. Went back to reading books
Old 10-03-2016, 11:06   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'm astonished no one has said become more acquainted with your mate?
In all seriousness I believe I will do what people in the country do, and that is shift your sleep / wake cycle to be more in line with the hours of daylight as in early to bed, early to rise, with a nap in the early afternoon.
But if you have TV and use it now and have the power to do so, then you don't have to go cold turkey, you can wean yourself gradually.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:09   #8

Most bed down early, get up early. The wind, sun and outdoors will do that to you. If you have a good radio/Ham... the BBC orIislands news etc is interesting for a while. I real ALOT.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:10   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

tbodine, sounds like you need a wind generator or two. made a huge difference in my ability to maintain topped off batteries even with a electricity hog on board for 6 months. or a less electricity hongree puter. my chromebook is 15 inch screen and uses less than 3 amps per hour. i know that an alienware machine uses 12 amps hourly and it is difficult to keep up with the power hog. it is no longer on my boat, so i am back to my normal usage.
i have not had tv on my boat in 20 or more years--there are no tv stations available for that bs. however, when there is wifi, i abuse the hell outta netflix...they have some good and some bad stuff to watch.
friends with kindle have unique experiences when they encounter bad wifi..... they even read paper books, as do i. there are book exchanges in every port of call.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:18   #10

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Cruising is hard. You will sleep when it gets dark. You won't sleep very well or very long. You'll be dealing with boat noise, sudden wind storms, sudden big swell, inconsiderate person anchoring too close, etc.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:20   #11

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Zee - I can't imagine being without book books. I imagine I'll go over to Kindle just because they take up so much room and if I like em I can't give em away.
I just picked up a book from the marina exchange yesterday. "The Iliad of Homer". Have to laugh, they couldn't get me to read it in high school, or in college. I just can't imagine falling asleep with a kindle in my hands like I do with a book every night.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:26   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
Cruising is hard. You will sleep when it gets dark. You won't sleep very well or very long. You'll be dealing with boat noise, sudden wind storms, sudden big swell, . . .
Amen.

Cook, clean up, bathe, repair things which broke that day, plan the next days passage, sleep.

There is never any shortage of things to do while cruising! Most of them, you don't have any choice about

If you're lucky to have any time and energy left after the necessary things are done, then socialize with the crew, drink, watch a movies, or -- luxury of luxuries -- read.

Don't worry; boredom is NEVER a problem. Bring books. And lots and lots of tools and spare parts
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:27   #13

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I too like real books but I converted over to the kindle at first because I moved around a lot and I read too much to want to drag boxes of books around. They also have a thing called Kindle Unlimited for $10 a month, you get unlimited books (can download 10 at a time, then just rotate out). The selection is not unlimited so you won't get the top tier current books but they are good filler (like Saturday afternoon B movies) and for someone like me who reads a TON, I'm sure amazon is losing money on the deal.

When I've lived in places where we couldn't the latest in hi tech services (tv / movies / internet) you just adjust to a sunset - sunrise sleep cycle. Especially if your doing more things physically.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:34   #14

Nice thing about real books is trading them with other cruisers.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:39   #15

Ever wanted to learn an instrument?

I've been known to lose hours of sleep over trying to master a new song on my guitar.

You could even get something as simple as a penny whistle or harmonica if you don't have the room for a larger type.

Percussion, strings, winds... So many different kinds to choose from. Plus you could be the life of the party at your next mooring if you get really good at it.

Usually only a couple books, maybe a few pages of songs or access to half-way decent wifi is all you'd need to learn tabs, chords, notes, new songs, etc. I love music.