Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 07:27   #46

Boat: Casacde 36
Re: So What Do You Do At Night??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
I too like real books but I converted over to the kindle at first because I moved around a lot and I read too much to want to drag boxes of books around. They also have a thing called Kindle Unlimited for $10 a month, you get unlimited books (can download 10 at a time, then just rotate out). The selection is not unlimited so you won't get the top tier current books but they are good filler (like Saturday afternoon B movies) and for someone like me who reads a TON, I'm sure amazon is losing money on the deal.

When I've lived in places where we couldn't the latest in hi tech services (tv / movies / internet) you just adjust to a sunset - sunrise sleep cycle. Especially if your doing more things physically.
Ah, Reading. I now use a basic Kindle, go online to my local library, download a dozen or so books, to keep me going for several months, then switch to airplane mode.
Fills in the time between other projects, exploring the area, socializing with the locals etc.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:44   #47

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: So What Do You Do At Night?

I thought the whole point was to get away from TV, movies, netrlix, and the usual mundane activities that waste our time.

When I'm sailing, I'm never bored.
There is always something that needs fixing/cleaning.

The best thing to do, is to talk with your crew. Really get to know each other. Play games, not to win, but as a medium towards laughter. Make up songs together. Sing at the top of your lungs. Do a goofy little dance.

And if you have no crew, invite other boaters aboard. Thats a hard one to start. But I found if I ask, people are happy to come. They are eager to hear your stories, and eager to tell their own. The second time you see them, days, weeks, or years later, it is like coming across an old friend. I especially like to invite families with kids and babies. I know how hard it can be sailing with kids, and an invite onto another boat is an event.

And if none of the above appeals to you, get yourself a drone and start getting us some decent video of all the great places you go. Editing the footage will fill your nights, and sharing your stories with us will fill all our hearts with happiness.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:45   #48

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K

I got so depressed with working all the time and drinking .I abandoned my 41" at Honolulu. and went in to a downward spiral 3 years in the gutter then 3 yrs. incarcerated. Now I have 11 yrs. in Recovery and a much nicer boat. 12 step programs are not only for drug and alcohol addicts but for people like me who have an obsession for things like power, wealth, honor and especially pleasure. I pray my "Higher Power" protect me from becoming obsessed with my boat and work. He keeps me occupied. My boat has become my sacred space .I can stay out alone for weeks at a time and never get bored. In town I need to find ways to volunteer service and there are meetings in almost every town. They are not all full of convicts and heroin addicts. I can always meet people like me who just need a higher purpose. I hope nobody thinks I'm an ass but I just couldn't take it anymore.
JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:51   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I clean and polish my buckets
OK I'll bite. What buckets are you polishing? And am I supposed to have some of these buckets? Or did you buy buckets for the sole purpose of having something to polish?
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:59   #50

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Talking and reading, and sometimes a little project for the boat or for fun. We have a green LED light on a cord we hang overboard that attracts sea life. It first brings microscopic life, but as the night progresses each species attracts its predators, and so every hour or so we check it and the life gets bigger and bigger. I brought a small electric guitar that I play mostly through headphones, and have greatly improved. We star gaze some nights. We also go ashore and have fires on the beaches when we can. And I have a pretty good library of " South Park" seasons, which never get old. Also, you go to sleep earlier, like a farmer. If you are near a town you can go ashore and walk around, being sure to stay in the safe areas. In Miami a cop and a taxi driver told me never go south of Flagler, but that was years ago. We have not found very much boredom so far.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:01   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: So What Do You Do At Night??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
OK I'll bite. What buckets are you polishing? And am I supposed to have some of these buckets? Or did you buy buckets for the sole purpose of having something to polish?
Its an addiction introduced by DOJ...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:07   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Its a polite way to say he's masterbating.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:08   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-MDR View Post
I got so depressed with working all the time and drinking .I abandoned my 41" at Honolulu. and went in to a downward spiral 3 years in the gutter then 3 yrs. incarcerated. Now I have 11 yrs. in Recovery and a much nicer boat. 12 step programs are not only for drug and alcohol addicts but for people like me who have an obsession for things like power, wealth, honor and especially pleasure. I pray my "Higher Power" protect me from becoming obsessed with my boat and work. He keeps me occupied. My boat has become my sacred space .I can stay out alone for weeks at a time and never get bored. In town I need to find ways to volunteer service and there are meetings in almost every town. They are not all full of convicts and heroin addicts. I can always meet people like me who just need a higher purpose. I hope nobody thinks I'm an ass but I just couldn't take it anymore.
Good onya mate! How many people are out there who will not admit they have or had a problem! Instead they endure lives of misery, trying to appear perfect to those around them. We crucified the only perfect guy anyway.

JK
Sojurnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:08   #54

Boat: Franz Maas 37

I was a reluctant convert to Kindle. I proposed all the standard opposition arguments. I received one as a present from a friend. I still occasionally read paper books, but they have effectively ceased to be a part of my life.

Horses went first, then typewriters, then sextants etc.etc.etc.

Night becomes short on a boat. As others point out, we hit the sack earlier and wake with the dawn. Our days are filled with all manner of social and boaty type things, and our nights will be for sleeping and practicing for procreation.

And that's not a bad thing.
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:10   #55

Boat: Franz Maas 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Its a polite way to say he's masterbating.
Ahhhh...that, in Oz parlance would be knob polishing.
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:17   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumKrazy View Post
Ever wanted to learn an instrument?

I've been known to lose hours of sleep over trying to master a new song on my guitar.

You could even get something as simple as a penny whistle or harmonica if you don't have the room for a larger type.

Percussion, strings, winds... So many different kinds to choose from. Plus you could be the life of the party at your next mooring if you get really good at it.

Usually only a couple books, maybe a few pages of songs or access to half-way decent wifi is all you'd need to learn tabs, chords, notes, new songs, etc. I love music.
Great response!

For anyone looking for the perfect musical instrument for boating, try this website: <http://www.mountainsocarina.com/b/>

I bought several in both "C" and "G" a number of years ago. It's easier to learn than a penny whistle and you can become proficient in a relatively short time. They're durable, take up negligible space and weigh next to nothing. Also very inexpensive compared to other instruments.

(I have no connection to, nor receive anything from Mountain Ocarinas.)

JK
Sojurnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:29   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
Ahhhh...that, in Oz parlance would be knob polishing.
There's a boat word for everything!
Old 11-03-2016, 08:44   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Zee - I can't imagine being without book books. I imagine I'll go over to Kindle just because they take up so much room and if I like em I can't give em away.
I just picked up a book from the marina exchange yesterday. "The Iliad of Homer". Have to laugh, they couldn't get me to read it in high school, or in college. I just can't imagine falling asleep with a kindle in my hands like I do with a book every night.
I keep a Samsung android tablet (Not an i kinda guy) but that is very cheap to charge, when wifi is available I can surf the internet etc. Skype keeps me in contact with loved ones (with Wifi). BTW my phone is my emergency wifi hotspot when a cell tower is in sight. There are dozens of mindless games to play in it from Tetris on up to much more modern games.

I do use kindle. Kindle books downloaded take up very little room in the storage. I have every Jack Reacher book (except the last), two dozen sailing books, a dozen Linux / Ubuntu books to study, a half dozen C# programming books to study, a dozen photography books to study, A dozen AA books just because, several dozen of the old Sci-Fi classics, all of the old classics (free) such as all of the Sherlock Holmes etc. All told well over 200 books and counting.

So I have reading material galore, all on a tablet. And more available wherever Wifi is available. I stopped using real books long ago.

I do have my Asus notebook (windows) which I can use for my computer studies and running my (programming / database) consulting business.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:46   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumKrazy View Post
Ever wanted to learn an instrument?

I've been known to lose hours of sleep over trying to master a new song on my guitar.

You could even get something as simple as a penny whistle or harmonica if you don't have the room for a larger type.

Percussion, strings, winds... So many different kinds to choose from. Plus you could be the life of the party at your next mooring if you get really good at it.

Usually only a couple books, maybe a few pages of songs or access to half-way decent wifi is all you'd need to learn tabs, chords, notes, new songs, etc. I love music.
I am learning the U-Bass.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:01   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
If he's referring to his Potter 19, there might not really be a feasible option for a wind generator just on space alone. I'm sure he probably has enough solar for his average usage on the starting battery and cabin lights, and just didn't want to push it a little farther running an inverter or 12v to recharge the laptop. Larger solar would do it easily but again, space on a smaller craft.

I usually watch TV if I'm in range of cell service for my hotspot. But I'm also into books and whatever else I can think of. I'm easily amused.
A tablet such as the Samsung 10" is very frugal with electricity relative to any PC / laptop. Of course it depends on how you use it as well. Wifi, Bluetooth and GPS (satellite) radios will cause the tablet use more than if all of those are turned off. For evening usage a tablet probably uses a few watts. Turn down the lights for reading and then turn down the intensity of the screen to further reduce the power consumption.