Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2022, 14:05   #1

smallest watermaker?

thinking of going to baja/the sea of cortez in my boat, would be a tough trip but i have the ability to trailer the boat there. by land or sea id make it just fine, its about what happens once im there. water is a huge deal as we all know.

whats the smallest water maker on the market?

one time when i was living in hawaii i came across a boat a guy sailed there (way unprepared for the journey), and he made it from cali to big island with nothing but a belt drive auto pilot, a hand pump water maker, a bible, and a sextant.... he was so traumatized of the journey he gave the boat to the first guy he met at the bar and flew home. that boat was an ericsson 30, which should have had way more equipment but none the less his hand pump watermaker is what has me thinking.

my boat is modest in comparison, i have a humble catalina 27 (tall rig), although, there are better boats out there, what this boat has afforded me to do is to totally rebuild and beef it up, and make it into a super 27 if you will, with input from Childress himself before he passed. i always feel like i have to defend my boat choice a little, with good reason as these boats have kind of an infamous reputation of a "first boat" and generally owned by people who dont know what theyre doing, but i assure you ive 100% rebuilt and refit this tub to industry standards while working at a boatyard in my spare time. i think the factory water tank">fresh water tank is like 18 gallons or something to that effect so i dont need a large system, just, that isnt much water and if i can help it, some autonomy from having to go into the dock all the time would be nice especially in a country notorious for bad water

if i were going to Alaska, id just rig up a rain catchment system but this is absolutely the other end of the spectrum....
Chinook92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 14:53   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: smallest watermaker?

You protest too much, cat 27s are awesome. There is a reason they made a lot of them and they can be found almost everywhere.

I think the Powersurvivor 40 (which is probably the powered version of the thing the Ericsson 30 guy had) is the smallest one on the market.

Remember you need the power budget to use a watermaker though.

For what it's worth, if you are just sticking around the La Paz area (which has a ton of awesome anchorages within 20 miles), you can fill up your water at one of the marinas for the cost of the dingy fee (which is 20 pesos last time I was there).
Old 21-03-2022, 03:29   #3

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

This thread will help

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ph-225683.html

I'm hoping to make one myself, several people have already.

And a C27 is a great boat. If you've beefed yours up like Childress I'd say you got a good one. I've owned 2, and I enjoyed them both.

Old 21-03-2022, 04:32   #4

Boat: Tartan 3800

The Spectra Ventura 150 is small and in multiple pieces that you can plumb into whatever nooks and crannies you have. They use less electricity per gallon than anything else. They're expensive. Dimensions here: https://www.katadyngroup.com/us/en/vt-150-d~p6178

If the safety of drinking water in Mexico is your main concern, just chlorinate it.

Tags
water, watermaker