Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2017, 10:26   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Smallest Liveaboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
I have been living on my Schucker23 for nine years so far. She is practically perfect, except for the stuff that needs fixing, repair or upgrades. I love my home.

Seaweed is adorable. You have made it a home on the water.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:35   #17

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You can. but with so many really inexpensive 30ish boats out there, why would you?

Because sometimes you've got $2k which puts you on a 23' boat where you can sleep lying down and have a place to cook and store stuff and waiting to save the extra $5k for the 30' boat means living in your car.

Because sometime people prefer the smaller boat.

Because sometimes the particulars of where you are favor the smaller boat: mirage, draft, trailerability, . . .
Old 09-05-2017, 13:39   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel

Having a boat one can stand up in makes a huge difference in your comfort level. For a sailboat, that generally starts at 30 feet in length...give or take a few feet. Someone likely will come along and point out the exceptions....so this is a general rule and not an absolute.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 14:06   #19

Boat: Fun little Kurt Hughes trimaran

I've lived aboard, off and on, for about 12 years. The boats ranged from 22 to 40 foot. What I learned is that the size of the boat isn't nearly as important as how comfortable the seats and berths were. Even head room isn't as critical as you might think since most of the time I'm aboard I'm either sitting, lounging or sleeping. Foam cushion berths are terribly uncomfortable. Especially when your boat is 30+ years old and the foam is old and tired. A feather bed topper helps, but ideally I'd want a real mattress. Another big factor is your age. I tolerated a whole lot more discomfort when I was younger than I do now.
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 14:07   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There are free 30 ish boats out there, not pretty and maybe not real seaworthy, but truly free.
For very little more and you get seaworthy and a decent motor.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 19:39   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudderless View Post
Thanks for reminding me of the Chrysler 22; I remember seeing a fair number of those on lakes Erie and Ontario back in the day.

If you really want to sail right onto the beach, though, I'd recommend this:

I always wanted one of those as a kid. Actually, I still do. If I had stupid money, I wouldn't buy a sports car, I'd buy an Amphibicar.

So, you know what? The dude who wrote the book "Blue Gold," that found the treasure from the U.S.S. Constitution (i think) off the shore of North Carolina (400 million)(currently in custody)(brilliant but crazy) wrote a story about a practical joke he would play with your amphibicar: double date, his date is in on the prank, and up front... he gets some laughs about his odd car, but the other couple doesn't know what it is... they head to a nearby lake after driving and talking for a while. He and his date get in a fake heated argument, with screaming and yelling... they head to the boat ramp/ lake at good speed, pretending not to notice the lake ahead. Couple in back start to realize where they're headed and try desperately to get the drivers attention who is still arguing with his girl, and oblivious....
Fear escalates to panic as they hit the water!
Walla ~ the masterful prank is revealed as they tour the lake. Pretty good, eh?
Prank me sometime!
There's a new version that's REALLY fast.
Bill
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 19:44   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papasail View Post
So, you know what? The dude who wrote the book "Blue Gold," that found the treasure from the U.S.S. Constitution (i think) off the shore of North Carolina (400 million)(currently in custody)(brilliant but crazy) wrote a story about a practical joke he would play with your amphibicar: double date, his date is in on the prank, and up front... he gets some laughs about his odd car, but the other couple doesn't know what it is... they head to a nearby lake after driving and talking for a while. He and his date get in a fake heated argument, with screaming and yelling... they head to the boat ramp/ lake at good speed, pretending not to notice the lake ahead. Couple in back start to realize where they're headed and try desperately to get the drivers attention who is still arguing with his girl, and oblivious....
Prank me sometime!
Bill

Some of the Chryslers had galleys, making them almost fully functional as liveaboards, short of a head. I saw one up on Lake Michigan doing just fine last summer.
Bill
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 19:48   #23

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Years ago when I lived on my Columbia 24, I had a neighbor who lived on his Flicka (20 ft on deck I believe) for many years. That boat had every bell and whistle and a windvane too. He even kept his bike on board and a little dinghy too... but I NEVER saw him take that boat out sailing. He was ready to sail south to Mexico though, or so he said. Now when you say liveaboard, do you mean a peapod you can sleep in or one that you can take sailing in the evening sometimes too?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 19:57   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papasail View Post
Prank me sometime!
Bill
That would be funny. The first time I saw one was when we were at a beach and my dad pointed out the car heading for the lake. He said something must be wrong with the brakes because it's not stopping. We all watched in horror as it kept going towards and then into the water. When it hit the water and kept going my dad just started laughing. My mom was not happy but my brother and I thought it was hilarious. It does seem like the perfect vehicle for pranking. That's probably the genesis for the idea in the first place.

I was told that the original Beetle was sealed well enough to float, but I could never convince anyone I knew who had one to try it out.
Rudderless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 20:02   #25

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me of the Chrysler 22; I remember seeing a fair number of those on lakes Erie and Ontario back in the day.

If you really want to sail right onto the beach, though, I'd recommend this:

I always wanted one of those as a kid. Actually, I still do. If I had stupid money, I wouldn't buy a sports car, I'd buy an Amphibicar.
What? No wings? Not submersible? The Aero-Sub-Amphibicar. That should be a thing.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:12   #26

Boat: offshore 8 meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
I was walking the piers, drink in hand, a couple nights ago, and was admiring a little Catalina 22 and a couple slips away, a Nonsuch 22. Both are kinda tubby little boats with enough room for a single liveaboard. Now me, I have too many ongoing projects to go smaller than my 27' boat, but if it was nothing more than a place to sleep and eat, with no tool and material storage needed, no great piles of junk, no workshop space, I could see living in something like that.

Anybody here living aboard, in a teeny weeny boat? Who lives on the smallest? Anybody living full time in a Potter 19? How about the 15? I'd like to hear about it. "Tiny houses" are all over the news these days and lots of folks are embracing that minimalist lifestyle ashore. Seems like "Tiny liveaboard boats" ought to be a thing.

I have seen folks here in Louisiana living in very small "camps" afloat, but while they can be moved, they are not really designed for traveling. I want to talk about actual boats that are designed to go places, not plywood shoeboxes on styrofoam pontoons.
hi, i live aboard a 22 ft oyster dredger, have sailed 4 atlantic crossings in her 25,000 miles, standing headroom, and a coalstove. cheap to maintain, good on rough weather, dont get thrown about inside as much as larger boats. only drawbacks are lack of storage for personal stuff, downsize or store with a friend, and lower speed, she averages about 80 miles a day, but has done 180 a few times in strong wind, theres an article about her in issue 14 of classic sailor magazine, if your interested, a superb boat in bad weather, size isnt everything, there boats were the inspiration for the lyle hess designs
scallowayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:25   #27

Boat: offshore 8 meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallowayuk View Post
hi, i live aboard a 22 ft oyster dredger, have sailed 4 atlantic crossings in her 25,000 miles, standing headroom, and a coalstove. cheap to maintain, good on rough weather, dont get thrown about inside as much as larger boats. only drawbacks are lack of storage for personal stuff, downsize or store with a friend, and lower speed, she averages about 80 miles a day, but has done 180 a few times in strong wind, theres an article about her in issue 14 of classic sailor magazine, if your interested, a superb boat in bad weather, size isnt everything, there boats were the inspiration for the lyle hess designs
if ive done this right you should have a picture
scallowayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:17   #28

I don't live aboard, so take this comment for what it is worth...(very little)
Seems to me that is all depends on climate you live in and marina ammenties. If you can spend most of your time outside the actual living space, then the "living space" can shrink dramatically...basically a sleeping quarters only.
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:17   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
I have been living on my Schucker23 for nine years so far. She is practically perfect, except for the stuff that needs fixing, repair or upgrades. I love my home.

That's a nice little boat!
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:41   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
I was told that the original Beetle was sealed well enough to float, but I could never convince anyone I knew who had one to try it out.
There was a VW add years ago that said the Beetle would definitely float, but not indefinitely

Here you go
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard