Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2015, 16:50   #16

Boat: Albin 25
Re: Small Power Boat Livaboard?

Albin 25 while long in the tooth is roomy, sleeps 4 (or one with loads of storage) and cruises at 7-8 knots at less than 1 gal/hr. Quite a few of them on the west coast. Economical to buy as well.
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 18:20   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha49 View Post
I was wondering if there were any small boats with good mileage. That you could also live on. I like barebones basic type of setup were it's practical does any company make a boat like this were you can put around fish and sleep anywhere. It would also be nice if you can beach it but that's not a deal breaker. I just want good mileage a place to go the bathroom a bed and a place to cook for 1 person. It would for going around the gulf islands I can live with out a hot shower and would also want to dive from it
Welcome to CF haha.

I think it is a great idea but you need to first answer some user questions.

Weekend and holidays or full time liveaboard home?

If weekends what speed do you need to get to your cruising grounds?

Summer only or Winter heating needed?

That helps us to suggest
1..Planning or displacement
2..Diesel engine to give you range/economy and heating fuel or gas outboard.

On the BC coast there are lots of small commercial aluminium hulls used by hand loggers, fisherman, that would make good tough conversions to fit your needs.

Also take a look at Diesel Outboards as an alternative to gas since it will free up a lot of hull space for storage and give you heating fuel.

Diesel OB Technology is improving
http://www.boatingmag.com/yanmar-re-...d-motor-market
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 19:45   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Welcome to CF haha.

I think it is a great idea but you need to first answer some user questions.

Weekend and holidays or full time liveaboard home?

If weekends what speed do you need to get to your cruising grounds?

Summer only or Winter heating needed?

That helps us to suggest
1..Planning or displacement
2..Diesel engine to give you range/economy and heating fuel or gas outboard.

On the BC coast there are lots of small commercial aluminium hulls used by hand loggers, fisherman, that would make good tough conversions to fit your needs.

Also take a look at Diesel Outboards as an alternative to gas since it will free up a lot of hull space for storage and give you heating fuel.

Diesel OB Technology is improving
Yanmar Re-enters Diesel Outboard Motor Market | Boating Magazine
I just wanted something I could use full time head into a cove in the middle of nowhere and explore the area. I wanted something semi full time as I want to travel but due to an injury sailing would be to physical. I'm also more valve oriented but when it comes to stuff I will buy the best quality when I can as I look at the long term cost. I've lived in the bush alone with a knife and a fishing rod for 2 months alone when I was 10 so less is more. I did it for the fun of it so I don't need much. It would be for at least a year. I got nothing but time as I have to go slow due to the injury more I do the more pain.

I like cheaper long term costs so paying more now isn't a problem if you save over time which is why I like alunium hulls simple and cheaper. I also like that you can drive it up on a rocky beach if you have to and it doesn't rot like wood. I don't need Internet, phone, or tv just bed a bathroom and a place to cook.

I rather have range over speed and not be to Bouncy in the choppy waters like when you cross from victoria to Tawas sion it is rough on a small boat on a good day. I like small boats because there easy to use dock and haul out of the water by your self. Big boat Aldo means bigger truck and burns more gas. I just want to go were I want up and down the west coast with out breaking the bank at the fuel pump. Boats eat gas my dad has a thunderjet 187 eco fishing boat I like it would be better with bigger tanks and a cabin to sleep in so I was thinking 22 to 26ft give or take a few ft
haha49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 20:49   #19

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoon View Post
Our CD22 had a 58-gallon tank. Cruising at 16-18 knots with a 90hp 2-stroke, we got about 3 mpg, so our max range was only about 175 nm. Less than we would have liked for some routes in SE Alaska, but we went pretty much all over SE AK with it. Today's 4-strokes would give 4.5 mpg or more.

The CD22 is very light, only about 2,000 lb empty. Draws only 8 inches with the motor up. Easily towed. Here's ours in Port Hardy.

I swear I just saw Cindy Sea on the Erie Canal . . . possible?

Rolf - moving my Morgan 383 from Wi to Annapolis
Old 09-09-2015, 20:49   #20

Albin 25 is a great value. Most are in the ballpark of $14,000-20,000.
It has a range of 400 miles on 20 gallons of diesel if there is no wind or current.
It cruises at 6-8 knots. It has a round bottom and a solid fiberglass hull, so I suppose you could beach it, but on soft beaches.
The prop and rudder are behind a keel.
Most of them have a forward cabin with a v-berth, head and galley. A center cockpit and a small aft cabin with a v-berth. The first owner of mine cut out the aft cabin and enclosed the cockpit, so it is completely enclosed, with a cockpit in the transom and easy access to the swim step.

C-Dory is more basic but newer and has the option to planing speeds. I particularly like the sight tubes in the fuel tanks that are visible from the pilot seat. This boat is more oriented towards fishing and diving with the larger cockpit. With the outboard(s) you can tilt them out of the water if you beach it.

C-Dory can pound in certain seas. The Venture 23 has a slightly deeper V that reduces pounding. Albins can be rolly, but you can get one with a mast and put up a steadying sail.
Devlins are pretty interesting if you want to build a boat yourself. If they build it I don't think you save much.
Old 09-09-2015, 20:55   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I lived in Vancouver so I know the waters and especially the Gulf Islands very well

26 to 28 makes sense and you always have the option to keep the boat over in the Islands during the winter and commute by Ferry.

The used market is not that great right now, but a friend of mine just found a used ironwood to repower and go fishing

Ironwood Boats
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 21:24   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I lived in Vancouver so I know the waters and especially the Gulf Islands very well

26 to 28 makes sense and you always have the option to keep the boat over in the Islands during the winter and commute by Ferry.

The used market is not that great right now, but a friend of mine just found a used ironwood to repower and go fishing

Ironwood Boats
For storage I could just haul it out of the water I have a place that it's 5 minutes down the road from the boat launch. I don't want a fiberglass boat I know there alot cheaper but I saw what a small storm can do to a fiberglass sail boat it split it in two. That was 1 hour of pounding and grinding on the rocks it bew into oce the rope broke.

Long term welded alunium makes sense I just can't find one that doesn't burn alot of fuel and is geared towards traveling around.

I like a more idiot proof boat which alunium boats can take a beating not worried about dropping stuff and lightly touching some rocks. I just haven't found 1 that fits my needs

We're I put in and take out the boat is small sharp rocks lose rocks but I wouldn't put a fiberglass boat on it it would scratch the bottom to much. Like the c dory just don't like what it's made out of. For my use I want more durability since I know what kind of areas I would take it in. Tide could go out and leave you on the rocks I want something that you don't have to worry if you happened to find the 1 piont rock when that happens.
haha49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power boat