Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2018, 19:35   #1

Small boat

Will be sailing soon on a Rhodes 25 for probably 12 months. Reading all the posts I feel I'm a little to small. Considering the fact I'm 72 I felt like this is a good size to handle and since I've wanted to do this for a long time, I thought go for it. I'll be going south to the keys from Louisiana and then to the Bahamas. With proper knowledge I don't see a problem, an I missing something?
donahue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 20:07   #2

Re: Small boat

I dont think Rhodes ever designed a bad boat, so if it is in good shape and you can sail, go for it. I am only a little younger than you and could easily do it, just at a slower pace than when I was younger. Get some good light air sails (you cant carry much fuel) and a wind vane and remember that you are just into basics and you will do fine. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 20:23   #3

Thanks Grant that's a very reassuring post. The boat is in top condition having been completely gone thru recently. Thanks again, Winston
Old 04-03-2018, 20:39   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

Get yourself a copy of the book Trekka by John Guzzwell he circumnavigated on a 21 foot yacht. Another top read is 500 days by Serge Testa. He did a circumnavigation in a 12 foot yacht.
Starts to make your yacht look pretty big.
500 days is $8.90 on ABE books.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 20:48   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

donahue,

Well, really, it'll depend on your sailing knowledge and skills, won't it? If you have no singlehanded experience, and you're going without crew, imo, you're asking a very lot of yourself at a time in life when your strengths are likely to be diminishing. ( I get to say this to you because I'm 78, now. ) A lot will depend on your balance and your perseverance, and wisdom.

Ann
Old 04-03-2018, 22:59   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Ah, another great old classic. Many moons ago, when I was young, single and owned nothing, I lived aboard and sailed a 24 footer that was very similar to the Rhodes, if you are talking about the Meridian 25. I don't see a problem if you have some experience sailing, eager to learn and are reasonably fit. You'll need to pare down everything and be able to live very simply. No grand wardrobe, no fancy meals. Plan on traveling very light. I'd run the halyards back to the cockpit personally, unless you have roller furling jib already. I'd also start out with day trips and then 2 or 3 day jaunts to see how it will be on longer legs, but it sounds like that is your plan. One issue to consider is how you'll carry the water you'll need. I THINK the Meridian can be modified as Baldwin has (see atomvoyages.com) to cut the transom to allow the engine (if it's an outboard) to tilt up. I highly recommend that.
I really loved my old 24 (Columbia.) It was so simple, safe and demanded very little of me. It was very capable though as I am sure your Rhodes is too. Send photos!

Here I will shamelessly post some links that may be of help:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ic-160329.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...al-153058.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:11   #7

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Hey Donahue, we just had a nice long post about this very thing. Look for "27ft Cruising Reality." Lots of great info. Some people will try to tell you its too small, but its really all about you and what you have and what you want and what you can do. I'm outfitting my Cape Dory 28 and plan to retire to cruising as far as I can go in a few years. I'm a firm believer in the "go small, go now" category. I say go for it !
OldManMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:30   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Small boat

I don't see why you should not be able to do it reasonably comfortably..
The area your cruising is not particularly challenging and going South you have the option of the safe waters of the ICW or.. go outside and keep inshore of the Stream..
Your biggest difficulty will be dealing with the sense of solitude.. many think that's what they need and seek.. only to find its not and instead of secluded quiet anchorages they end up for long spells in marinas propping up Tiki bars.
Its an adventure.. go for it and see what life brings.. if your doubting the reality already then mayhap its not for you after all.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:53   #9
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

This the one or similar?

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=416
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 17:00   #10

Donahue, if you read the 27 foot cruising boat thread (which is a good idea to read) you will soon discover that the vast majority of the naysayers have never cruised in a small boat. You will see stuff about extra diesel tanks, water makers, radar, autopilots, big batteries, refrigeration and thousands of dollars worth of electronics. None of that is really needed and most would not fit anyway. Good ground tackle and good sails with extra thought to light air sailing (then you dont need to carry extra fuel), a couple of hand held GPS,s and most important, a windvane. I assume you are talking about single handing so I would recommend taking a saw to your V-berths and make a good wet locker and dry hanging locker and a good chain locker. Lee cloths for both of your main cabin berths and lots of handholds. Cruising in a small boat will never be as convenient as in a larger boat, but can be just as much fun at a fraction of the cost of a boat that is even 5 or 6 foot longer. I am sure you will read many opinions and mine is just one of them, but I did 8 or 9 thousand miles in the North and South Pacific in a similar boat and even though I was tired of the size after 2 years, it was a wonderful trip. Best of luck. ____Grant. (Contessa 26)
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 17:13   #11

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
You will see stuff about extra diesel tanks, water makers, radar, autopilots, big batteries, refrigeration and thousands of dollars worth of electronics.
We cruise in a 27' WITH all that stuff

Can't imagine how big the boat would seem otherwise..
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 17:35   #12

Thanks a lot for the positive posts. Going to read cruising in a 27 ft boat and Ann you certainly can tell me, read many of your post and your very familiar with wisdom. Thanks everyone for your encouragement.
Old 05-03-2018, 17:38   #13

I forgot John 61, thats the one.
Old 05-03-2018, 19:01   #14
cruiser

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=416

So sturdy enough, capable of being upfitted for "blue water" passagemaking?

Relevant thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-193354.html
Old 05-03-2018, 19:15   #15
cruiser

Many say yes

Used to be on bluewaterboats.org, no longer.

Made James Baldwin's list
http://www.atomvoyages.com/planning/...es Meridian 25

https://astro.temple.edu/~bstavis/pr/meridian.htm

http://theperfectsailboatproject.blo...t-choices.html

Tags
boat