Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2014, 15:35   #1

Boat: Legnos, Mystic 30
Slips in Baltimore

I'm just checking if anyone in the baltimore area owns a slip they want to rent out over the next few months.
I'd also appreciate any advice from local liveaboards about baltimore area liveaboard marinas.

I recently came into a 38ft carver(42' 6" LOA) w/ a pretty wide beam for it's length(14').

I'm an artist that builds software to pay the bills, so location is flexible, but being close to the city is preferable because it's easier to find nice studio space.

I'm particularly interested in hearing about anyone's experience with marinas well suited for winter liveaboards. The thought of slipping off a shaky dock into deathly cold water is pretty horrifying, but I'm fit and pretty good at not falling off of things, so maybe I'm over thinking it.

Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated, hopefully from some future neighbors.
blunderbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 16:23   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: slips in baltimore

Check The Anchorage in Canton. It's in the city, beautiful marina with nice docks, walking distance to supermarket, restaurants and very close to the heart of the city. Right in Baltimore harbor. Baltimore Marine Center is very nice too and is right next door to the Anchorage.

There are certainly cheaper places out in the county but for city living these are my favorites. We lived aboard at the Baltimore Marine Center when we first lived here, but not in winter. I have heard there are people who do though.
Old 16-10-2014, 16:37   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

I second checking out the Anchorage. A lot of slips are rented privately for (much) less than the rate offered by the front office. You will have to pay an additional liveaboard fee (I believe $100/month) regardless of who's renting to you. Check craigslist and the bulletin board in the marina lounge for private rentals. C/P dock is very wide. All slips have full fingers on both sides. A 45' or 50' slip should fit your boat. The front office claims they shovel the snow off the docks but I haven't been there after a snow storm to verify that yet.

Many liveaboards are happy at Henderson's Wharf. I don't know much about it but it might be worth checking out.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 10:24   #4

Boat: Legnos, Mystic 30

Thanks for the suggestions. Anchorage and Henderson's Wharf look like great options. I just found out about ActiveCaptain and they both have confidence inspiring reviews.
I'll go down and have a look today.

Lighthouse point sounds nice as well.

It's incredible how close these marinas are to everything. I think that alone is worth the premium of being in the city rather than county.
Looking forward to it.
blunderbuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltimore