Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2009, 17:38   #1

Question Slip Lease and Living Aboard

Hi all,

I am fairly new to the forum and have a quick question.

I recently purchased my first sail boat on a lake here in Dallas and signed my slip lease a few days ago. I have read and reread the lease contract and there is no mention whatsoever, pro or con, regarding living aboard.

The question is, does this imply consent?

I know, I know...I should ask the marina manager but prior to the purchase of the boat I asked the apparently taboo live aboard question at another marina and, surprisingly, received a very aggressive and negative response. They went on to say no marina on this particular lake allowed "such a thing".

I would rather not incur this same response and possible lingering suspicion from the marina manager where I have a slip lease for the next year lol.

Thanks!
Eric
octobernine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 17:46   #2

Boat: s/v Annapurna (Contessa 26)
No it doesn't. Most marina's look at liveaboard status as a "privelege", an explicit one at that. I don't know why you got the gruff you received from the last marina, I wouldn't let it shy you away from asking that question tho, it wouldn't serve any purpose to do so if that is your goal. I had little luck for some time, with most marinas having very long waiting lists, but perserverence paid out, I eventually found a marina I could liveaboard as soon as was convenient for me. I would ask the moorage manager ASAP about the marina's policy, because if this lease isn't for you, then maybe you can try to pull out of it, and get like transient moorage while you look for another slip, or something.

Good luck, and keep lookin'
Philosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 17:53   #3

I will bring it up with them at some point. After the first response I have resigned myself to the fact that it is unlikely and that I will sail as much as possible to be a better sailor and eventually move down to the gulf coast after I have saved abit.

Thanks for the info!!
Old 23-03-2009, 12:18   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
There can be cause not to ask the blatant question. Here, in Florida, many of the marinas that we have "lived aboard" at over the past 38 years have had stated policies that they do not accept liveaboards; however, there have always been other liveaboards in addition to us at these marinas. We have had marina managers ecourage their liveaboard slip renters not to recieve mail at the marina or claim it as their residence, but still welcome our presence & and even charge us an additional "fulltime use" fee. I would suggest that you find out from other slip renters that spend much time on their vessels first. You may end up asking a question that has an obligatory negative response, but an otherwise a "blind eye". 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 14:04   #5

Boat: Beneteau 321 Andrea Lynn
Inland lakes in Texas are managed by the Army Corps of Engineers and they forbid any live aboard on these lakes. The marina manager has no say about live aboard boats and can not give you permission to stay on your boat other than weekends and occasional vacations.
Old 23-03-2009, 15:02   #6

Thank you Captain Tommy,

I was unaware of the ACE involvement. Once you mentioned that it was easy enough to find:

(f) Unless otherwise permitted by Federal, state or local law, vessels or other watercraft, while moored in commercial facilities, community or corporate docks, or at any fixed or permanent mooring point, may only be used for overnight occupancy when such use is incidental to recreational boating. Vessels or other watercraft are not to be used as a place of habitation or residence.

Tags
lease, living aboard