Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2020, 00:19   #151
Registered User
 
chrisr's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Australia
Boat: Tasman 40' catamaran
Posts: 1,008
Re: Sleeping as a couple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
I agree. I will admit that I do catnap in the cockpit when appropriate, though, if I am alone. In the cockpit. Egg timer to keep me honest about doing regular horizon scans. However if more than one qualified watchstander is aboard, then someone should be AWAKE and ALERT continuously. It is the rule, after all. And there is no reason why it can't be followed to the letter. Okay, yeah, going below for a minute to grab a snack or a drink, well, if conditions allow, one has to be realistic. Just remember if you are headed for a ship beyond your horizon at 5kts and he is headed toward you at 20kts and you can't see him until he is within 10 miles, and you want to contact the ship or change course at say 5 miles distance, well you do the math. You only have to be wrong once.



You would probably be astonished at how NOT obvious a sailboat is to the men on a ship's bridge. Mid ocean, yeah they will turn to avoid you as the rules dictate. When they notice you. And not all ships or all watchstanders remain alert and attentive as they should. As YOU should. They don't call it the "snore to eight" watch for nothing LOL! Stand your watch to the minimum standards that you expect the other guy to follow. If you and the other guy are both screwing up, avoiding collision is only a matter of luck. If you are standing a tight watch, even if the other guy isn't, there will be no collision, and good luck is not required.

When you have the watch, the watch below's LIFE is in your hands. Be responsible. NO, I do not believe it is okay to remain below and poke your head out every few minutes. If you have a pilothouse, that is where you belong on watch. Or on deck. If not, the cockpit is where you belong when on watch. Don't gamble with your shipmate's life. Show you care. Stand a proper watch.
although you are entitled to your opinion, this is a limited view and depends on so many other factors - principally the amount of traffic around - but also whether or not you have AIS and / or radar. it may be correct in your part of the world, but in our part of the world it's quite different so you really cannot make sweeping statements.

like so many things at sea, it all depends upon the actual situation. in time experience will allow you judge this better.

cheers,
__________________
"home is where the anchor drops"...still at Lake Mac / Pittwater...heading north soon... maintaining social distancing !
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 00:51   #152
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mandurah, Western Australia
Boat: Roberts 45
Posts: 49
Re: Sleeping as a couple?

When my wife and I are offshore by ourselves we have a rule that A) in wind over 20 knots and B) sunset to sunrise, neither of us leaves the cockpit without the other woken up and fully rigged to stand by. Inevitably, it's me who does the deck work, particularly at night. That tends to denote our sleeping schedule.
At anchor, we have come to trust our anchor alarms - of which we have two operating - one on the iPad and one on the cell phone. One we used - DragQueen - although I note it has since not been updated for the new IOS. We correct our position using the potter cursor to find the lat/long of our anchor based on the chain we have put out... then enter that in the anchor alarm. We put the phone and the iPad in the cockpit on charge connected to the stereo thru bluetooth and the stereo turned up high. We have detected every anchor drag encountered within seconds of the alarm limit reached. That has included one incident where there was little movement in our 18 tonne ketch on a windless night, yet we dragged anchor in the tide. It was a sand over shelf area and we arrived too late to dive down to check the hook. You have to be dead to sleep through the alarm. There is also an alarm on the plotter but it too quiet.
Velella99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:04   #153
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: South Africa
Boat: Leopard 40
Posts: 175
Re: Sleeping as a couple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velella99 View Post
When my wife and I are offshore by ourselves we have a rule that A) in wind over 20 knots and B) sunset to sunrise, neither of us leaves the cockpit without the other woken up and fully rigged to stand by. Inevitably, it's me who does the deck work, particularly at night. That tends to denote our sleeping schedule.
At anchor, we have come to trust our anchor alarms - of which we have two operating - one on the iPad and one on the cell phone. One we used - DragQueen - although I note it has since not been updated for the new IOS. We correct our position using the potter cursor to find the lat/long of our anchor based on the chain we have put out... then enter that in the anchor alarm. We put the phone and the iPad in the cockpit on charge connected to the stereo thru bluetooth and the stereo turned up high. We have detected every anchor drag encountered within seconds of the alarm limit reached. That has included one incident where there was little movement in our 18 tonne ketch on a windless night, yet we dragged anchor in the tide. It was a sand over shelf area and we arrived too late to dive down to check the hook. You have to be dead to sleep through the alarm. There is also an alarm on the plotter but it too quiet.

Hi,

I find it interesting that you use an app.
Have a look at this post..

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-new-post.html

Do iphones and ipads have proper built in gps? i.e. so when you have no cell coverage or wifi, you still get a reasonable position. If they do, how do they work inside???

I cannot seem to find a proper answer to the gps question!

I plan to try the B2N anchor alarm next trip!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:07   #154
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: South Africa
Boat: Leopard 40
Posts: 175
Re: Sleeping as a couple?

Just to add to my post above I prefer to have my phone off when on the boat, as there is poor to no signal, and I like the disconnecting. My ipad was wifi only, just bought a new one with cellular, they say that has gps. It seems to give position in airplane mode with wifi off, lets see next trip!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:41   #155
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mandurah, Western Australia
Boat: Roberts 45
Posts: 49
Re: Sleeping as a couple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
Just to add to my post above I prefer to have my phone off when on the boat, as there is poor to no signal, and I like the disconnecting. My ipad was wifi only, just bought a new one with cellular, they say that has gps. It seems to give position in airplane mode with wifi off, lets see next trip!
Some ipads do not have GPS and some do. You have to have the ones with true GPS capability. The ones that do not triangulate using cell phone towers....obviously useless offshore. Generally the rule is that if the ipad has a built in SIM, it has GPS capability. Well thats what it was when last we bought an ipad in 2016.
Velella99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:51   #156
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 562
Re: Sleeping as a couple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
Do iphones and ipads have proper built in gps? i.e. so when you have no cell coverage or wifi, you still get a reasonable position. If they do, how do they work inside???

Hope this helps;


https://www.lifewire.com/iphone-gps-set-up-1683393


AND


https://www.lifewire.com/ipad-gps-information-1683262


Cheers.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Singlehanding - Sleeping - Good Idea ? kingfish The Sailor's Confessional 332 24-02-2018 04:51
Sleeping Question...Feet or Head in... capcook Liveaboard's Forum 30 19-02-2010 09:34
Sleeping Arrangments Meerkat Multihull Sailboats 13 07-09-2009 17:46
Sleeping Patterns for Live-Aboards? Pelagic Liveaboard's Forum 11 12-06-2008 19:51

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:07.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.