Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2017, 12:48   #1

Skippers Licence

Hiya,
I want to throw out a question for comments and suggestions...
My wife and I are buying a catamaran that is currently moored in Greece. Our plan is to live aboard her in the Med until around Christmas 2018, then sail her to the Caribbean. We plan to winter this year in Sicily, sail up around Croatia, then be ready to depart the following Autumn.
We are looking for a training provider that would come aboard our boat and train us so that we can get our International Skippers License. We want someone affiliated with a recognized Training school that provides the license.
Does anyone know of training providers that speak English (we are Australians)?

I finally felt myself lifted definitively away on the winds of adventure...
darlindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 16:15   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Skippers Licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlindy View Post
Hiya,
I want to throw out a question for comments and suggestions...
My wife and I are buying a catamaran that is currently moored in Greece. Our plan is to live aboard her in the Med until around Christmas 2018, then sail her to the Caribbean. We plan to winter this year in Sicily, sail up around Croatia, then be ready to depart the following Autumn.
We are looking for a training provider that would come aboard our boat and train us so that we can get our International Skippers License. We want someone affiliated with a recognized Training school that provides the license.
Does anyone know of training providers that speak English (we are Australians)?

No idea what a skippers license is?
Something required for pleasure boats in the Med?
In the Caribe however, no license required.
Old 20-03-2017, 16:19   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

What are you calling an "international skippers license"? Is this a captains license? Or a certificate of competency?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 16:34   #4

Maybe this is what he is talking about....?

What is the ICC? | The ICC and Evidence of Competence Abroad | Boating Abroad | Knowledge & Advice | Knowledge & Advice | RYA

International Certificate of Competence (ICC) - Australian Sailing

IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 17:45   #5

Perhaps I'm confused (which not unusual nor surprising).
My wife and I are looking at buying a boat that is currently in Greece. We want to winter her in Sicily. Then, next summer sail her around the Med, with an eye toward Croatia.
I read some things about there being a need for 'Captain's Papers' when sailing around Croatia. So, I started looking at training courses and saw a mention of an "International 'Bare-Boat' Skippers License" on the Athens Yacht Academy website.
So, I think I might need to take a step back and ask:
What do I need (besides a boat and some wind) to legally sail around the Med for a year?
I know I need as much knowledge and experience as I can get to 'safely' sail. What I'm trying to organize is what documents I need...

Old 20-03-2017, 23:33   #6

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

The ICC is what you need to keep the croatians at bay.

otherwise you don't need anything.

Might want to learn how to sail though

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 00:15   #7

Boat: Lagoon 450 Flybridge

I am West Australian, and I know the West Australian Recreational Skippers Ticket (RST) is accepted through the Med as a valid competency proof.

If you don't have the competency, then an ICC is definitely worthwhile.

There are a number of organisations in Australia who provide ICC training and certification.

See
International Certificate of Competence (ICC) - Australian Sailing

I believe the ICC is only valid for 5 years, after which you will need to be re-assessed.

The RST has no time limit.
anthonyp0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 00:33   #8

Knew there was something I was forgetting... (note to self- learn to sail).
Thanks

No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land... Helen Keller
Old 21-03-2017, 02:31   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Skippers Licence

Hi.. congrats on the boat.. and the location, great place to start the adventure..
Seeing as the boats already in Greece maybe you should get in touch with these guys for your ICC or Day/Coastal Skipper ticket..

Aegean Sailing School — RYA Sailing Courses in Greece

Or contact the RYA direct for locations near your boat that have recognised schools..

RYA - Royal Yachting Association - UK National Governing Body | RYA

Do not know your previous experience but if limited should boost your knowledge and confidence for the voyages ahead..

Best wishes..
Phil.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 03:20   #10

Thanks for the links. I'm looking them up tonight.
Everything from this point on will be geared toward learning and gaining experience.
On basic seamanship, I'm ok. Nowhere near where I need or want to be. But, I believe our basic plan is sound... taking small steps.
I know buying a boat might not be the normal first step. But, we've found what we want, so we start from there.
I'm thinking once we are on the ground (or water, as the case may be) in Greece, among other live-aboard, I'll be volunteering to lend a hand on every project or task I can. I'm thinking there'd be a few out there that would welcome willing hands in exchange for teaching me a few things.
So, we'll just have to jump in and take it as it comes. Because, as the man said...

If it's drowning you're after, don't torment yourself with shallow water...
Old 21-03-2017, 04:06   #11

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Why waste your time in the Med learning to sail? I'd contact a shool in the meanwhile and do an RYA Day Skipper (Sail) Course. Theory can be done online through RYA online theory courses and the course practical is 5 full days (or three weekends) aboard at a number of schools dotted around the country.

Can't see your location but in Brisbane I'd recommend Southern Cross Yachting. The RYA Day Skipper Course is the minimum prerequisite for the ICC which is the ticket needed in most European countries.

Croatia doesn't list a specific training requirement for Australian sailors (see full list here) but I wouldn't go there with only a state licence since it is unlikely to be recognised and if that happens you will be required to do their local Skipper Course for US$325.00 before moving your boat. Noonsite has more details here. In any case you'll need something better than a state issued licence in the real world.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 04:14   #12

Boat: Lagoon 450 Flybridge

Hi Haiqu

Have you actually sailed in the Mediterranean?

I have, and have a number of friends who have, including through Croatia, and had no issues with the RST.

In the link you provide they say "without some type of certification", so a RST or equivalent will prevail.
anthonyp0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 04:39   #13

Hi Anthony, At this stage we don't know that the OP is from WA. In any case, what you've outlined isn't the general rule for Europe, which is what I've provided and documented here. Sure, I have a Victorian boating and PWC licence myself, but I wouldn't expect any foreign country to either recognise or honour it because it isn't a national qualification.

BTW you don't have to redo the ICC training or exams after 5 years, it's a simple renewal.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
Old 21-03-2017, 04:44   #14

Talking Re: Skippers Licence

Thanks Haiqu,
I'm doing the theory online now.
There's a number of reasons why I want to do the practical over there... not the least of which is that the boat we know we want is there.
Each of us approach this life from a unique perspective and with individual desires.
We are hopeful of finding an instructor that will come aboard our boat and teach us there. At the end of it all, I want to be master of my boat.
I do thank you for the information about Brisbane, though. Right now, I'm in Darwin and we're planning to leave shortly. Brisbane might be a real option, if the boat in Greece doesn't work out...

When I die, I want to go peacefully and quietly in my sleep like my Grandfather did... not screaming and shouting like the passengers in his car at the time.
Old 21-03-2017, 04:57   #15

Hey Darlindy, Glad to see you're onto it already. I hear you, the experience would be better in your own choice of yacht and location. In that case try this link:

RYA Training

You might also be advised to do the RYA Coastal Skipper prerequisites before leaving. That includes First Aid Certificate and VHF Licence (MROVCP) and a bit of sailing experience to Day Skipper level, which you can get by crewing with someone on a passage. Good luck!

Tags
enc, skipper