Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: How big is your... TV?!
10-19" 18 18.95%
20-29" 37 38.95%
30-39" 26 27.37%
39" + 14 14.74%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2016, 21:18   #76

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Size of your TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
The very first thing I did when I took charge of my 1984 Brewer 12.8 was to rip out and throw away the stupid TV set mounted on a wall in the salon.

Maybe you should install one of the "Smart" TV's then. Honestly, the vitriol from the TV haters on this thread is hilarious.

I'll be looking for the "Real sailors use a bucket" thread.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 22:31   #77

Re: Size of your TV?

Although we go places to enjoy the outdoors and scenery, I always love to have a cocktail and watch the sun set. However, there have been plenty of times when the wind blew or rain poured down and we went inside and turned on the entertainment system. In my 25' trailer I have a small surround sound receiver/DVD player with 5 speakers, powered sub, HD satellite DVR and 32" LED TV. Watching a movie or TV show is pretty close to being at home, especially with the volume and bass.

The 40' trailer has a more advanced setup, with 3 HD satellite DVRs, Yamaha receiver, 5 speakers and a 10" powered sub. This supports a Canon HD projector on a 102" screen. There are also 24" TVs suspended above each of the 2 queen beds (about waist level, so they look huge from only 2' away) and a 32" TV in the main area. There are 3 Western Digital media players all networked via the wifi router that can stream to/from each other with 2 USB HDDs on each. I have about 1.5TB of TV shows in x.264 format (from Gunsmoke and Bonanza to Orange is the New Black and TBBT) as well as about 2,000 movies on portable HDDs.

I also have an Android box that can stream to/from the network and also does Netflix, Hulu, etc just like the WD media players, but the big advantage to this one is it can surf the web like a regular computer and stream from other sites, like Couchtuner, or any of the "unofficial" movie sites that have current movies, in addition to Kodi, which also gives you access to streaming movies and TV.

I can also "cast" from my laptop or phone to any of the 4 devices and replay action cam footage captured from all 7 of the action cams. There are also outside speakers, in case I feel like projecting on the side of the trailer. All of these TVs have come in very handy when friends bring their kids and the adults want to keep them entertained while we enjoy some cocktails.

When I get my Leopard catamaran, I plan on installing a 50" LED TV, in addition to 24" TVs in 2 of the cabins. I'm also bringing the entire wifi media streaming network and projector. All of the TVs, tablets and laptops will be able to display chartplotter info, an idea I got from some of the posters here on CF.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 02:16   #78

First 8 or so seasons did not have a TV as I did not want to overload my electrical system, even though I have 17" 110/12v LCD Sharp which was a present specifically for the boat. But after I installed 4X110W solars I brought onboard 20" Emerson LCD w/DVD player. Still didn't figure out a permanent place for it as one bulkhead has a heater and the other holds a folding table. On most dry and calm nights I just drag it out to the cockpit or under the dodger. Kinda cool to be watching TV under the stars with a gentle breeze and to be able to go for skinny dips during the commercials.

A lot of times I just use my laptop if the WiFi is available.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 05:07   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

42", viewing is about 3-4 meters... Blu Ray disks look great on her; she was tossed out by someone and I fixed her; the mount cost us more than the TV...
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 05:18   #80

Boat: Gulfstar 50

32" in the salon bulkhead mounted and wish I had gone 40". I think good at any distance but most times I'm watching Capt Ron it's from 6-10'. 19" bulkhead mounted in the staterooms from about 6' and looks great also.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 05:45   #81

0.0in

That's 0cm for the rest of the world.
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 06:03   #82

Boat: Carlisle Yachts: 59' Cutter-rigged Deck Saloon

No TV here

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Carlisle Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 06:22   #83
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

No to but did buy an awesome projector that spits a great 100" image on our rear sunscreen with audio through the cockpit speakers.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1453990967.001325.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	117843
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 13:09   #84

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

I always thought size didn't matter.
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 13:27   #85

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I didn't own a TV until one came with the (now ex) wife. With a family we have TVs at home- but no TVs in bedrooms.

On the boat- NO TV. There is a handheld DVD player for the kids for rainy days, but no TV.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 14:54   #86

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

32 inch with a built-in DVD players do we listen through a sound bar, we often watch a movie or episode of a series like Downton Abbey etc. Sun sets early here in Carib and we only have so many books (ok Kindle also)! Works for us

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 21:55   #87

In today's Market a very high res 32" can be picked up for about $140. Weigh about 8lb and use very little power....less than my non led lights on the boat. Laptops are great too for trading movies but there is just something about a real tv with local programming. Add in a free DVR and its just like home for those raining or extremely hot days.
Hunter34StPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 22:28   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
Maybe you should install one of the "Smart" TV's then. Honestly, the vitriol from the TV haters on this thread is hilarious.

I'll be looking for the "Real sailors use a bucket" thread.
If you use a Smart TV from Samsung just remember to connect it to your wifi router. Also be aware that it can be used to spy on you through the camera and mic. And I am not kidding.

To defeat surveillance you have three options.

1. Don't use smartphones or smart tv's
2. Cover cameras on your devices with black electricians tape or like
3. Do not say anything within earshot of a smart device that you wouldn't want seen on the front page of the newspaper.

OBVERSCATION as a defence against surveillance or as a counter espionage tool.

In a state that is known to practise citizenry surveillance one can use OBVERSCATION techniques to blind and deafening the observers. For instance talk openly about your loyalty to the state rulers. When watching a news programe on a smart TV that is critical of the ruling party verbally talk back at the TV disagreeing with the anti government statements.

I was once doing business in a surveillance state country and I used OBVERSCATION in my telephone landlines calls because I knew they were being monitored. It was effective in building a picture of loyalty for my listeners.

Sorry for digression but it wasn't my fault. It was mentioning Smart TV'S that set me off.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 04:36   #89
CLOD

Boat: none

I just ordered a 40" TV with built in DVD. IT was the biggest I could install in the spot I wanted tov and will be about 10' away viewing distance. I find just gave up on the DC TVs as the chice were limited and the sets overpriced and just got an AC set and will either run off my main inverter or get a small one for the set.
Old 28-08-2016, 04:48   #90
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Size of your TV?

Notebook (10") and WiFi links like FILMON TV FREE LIVE TV MOVIES AND SOCIAL TELEVISION when on deliveries.. a 15" laptop on my own boat.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size