Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2013, 03:49   #31

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
hay smart!!!!
now ye kno wit doesnt have to be perfect to leave....
and ye know cats are some of the worst pigs known to woman, short of men....lol
i use place mat for my cats food dishes, and i grow lawn grass for his hair ball hockingness..yummy thought..lol
i place coers on all my sitting places and he knows he can use those covers. he also has places where i placed lines and knots for his wonderfully strong sharp weaponry to be sharpened, so my cushions remain intact. works like a charm--he loves to show me how good he is with his claws and stretches--good boy....and he loves to guard his home from intruders, and is proud of his catches.....

i am fortunate that bubba doesnt exhibit signs of seasickness. he sleeps and hides and still eats foods...weird cat.
when i did have a seasick pair of gatos, i placed one where she was happy, with a towel under her puking self, and the other i took into air and brushed so he would settle down and quit puking. 2 green cats was almost as enjoyable for the amount of yuck one can clean without being in a hospital at work or taking care of 2 or more ill young children with flu.

so, smartmove--where will we meet .....
Hey Zee,

Yeah, who would've thought the cats would be so messy with their food! We do have a placemat, but Lilly (17) manages to spread her food around in about a two foot radius. The problem is she chews with her mouth open and as little bits fall out she keeps backing up, she gets wet food so of course it is somewhat sticky. Chloe (5) seems to be able to keep her dry food on the placemat. But she has taken to rocking her water bowl so some sloshes out, it stays on the placemat too. I think she does that to help her see the level of the water, she is slightly cross eyed.

Bubba sounds awesome! Neither of our cats has shown a tendency towards guarding their new home, I think they are too prissy for that. Thank goodness no one has caught anything yet, because that would mean we have a big problem in the boat. Both are excellent mousers though.

Lilly's seasickness doesn't last long, usually just the first day underway is the worst. And it has happened only twice now, the first time at sea and then after a week in land.

We are hoping to be in Panama next spring, but have some serious sailing skills to hone, so may stay in the Caribbean another year. Where are the winds blowing you?
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 03:59   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsailing View Post
Great post and great insights! We are still about 5 years from slipping the dock lines however we purchased our cruising boat about this time last year and we are going through the process of getting to know her and fixing and upgrading as we go. I can totally relate to things taking twice as long and requiring multiple trips to West Marine. We spent a week on our "new" boat last year while it was in Florida with the goal of getting her ready to ship to Minnesota. We had grand thoughts of sailing everyday, tidying up a bit, etc. We ended up spending the entire week hauling 8+ dock carts full of stuff that was taken off the boat and put into storage (so the boat would show better) and putting it all back on the boat and finding a spot to store it. Yes, I think this boat came with an entire West Marine store, LOL! It seems the previous owners were like most cruisers, they couldn't find where an item was, so they went out and purchased another one. Well, we found them all, LOL! A year later, we are still finding new goodies that we didn't know we owned, some stuff still new in it's package.

Some people have asked us why we purchased the boat so far in advance of our departure date and so far, I am still feeling like we are about right on the timing. Year one, inventory what we have and store it somewhere. Year two, replace broken and worn parts and pieces, etc.......It does take longer than you think, cuz you know we also have to find time to sail alot and have fun!
We bought Smart Move four years before we moved aboard. It was a good time getting to know her and figure out what we wanted onboard and plan for the time we would move aboard.

I can so relate to the 8+ dock carts! LOL! Because we were not real comfortable with our docking skills we picked a slip at the end (away from the car) D-46 -- it was a long walk!!! And then you had to carry everything one by one down the finger dock because it was too narrow for the cart! You are lucky your boat came with so much, ours had nothing as we bought it from someone as it came out of charter service. I do believe we have purchased most of a West Marine store by now.

Have fun, hopefully we will see you out here in a few years.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 23-03-2013, 04:17   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Nice posts SmartMove -- and accurate too! As for storing stuff, I know I found that many items I thought were ideally placed, were not. A lot has been shifted as progress is made -- for instance the drill is less accessible as it's not needed as frequently now.

You're spot on as far as stowing things but I suggest that you might chose to be less particular about where various items "belong" at present as that too will change as you live aboard. The right home will be found as you use the items you have available so perhaps a bit more flexibility as to what goes where?

For instance, in my galley

one of the problems was no place to put my spices. Spice racks didn't work/fit where I wanted them, so I took a thrift store cake box, cut it in thirds and rotated, bolted to the inside of the door and now I have an easily accessible place for spices. Then I noticed the area between the sink and stove was not big enough for much, but with a piece of 1/4" scrap wood I have a small shelf for my tin foil, baggies and such; and then I noticed I didn't have a place for paper towels, so a bit of string and a slip knot later; and the galley gets a lot of light so having a place to put away clothes pins for the sun shades... not shown is Seaworthy Lass's great idea on the nets for vegetables -- I've got two more small nets hanging around the edge from my glasses (yep, invariably I'm sitting on the sole and realize my glasses are elsewhere, so... -- and of course a flash light is there too)

Anyway, what this long dissertation is saying in essence is that things will evolve as you spend more time aboard and I suggest you're doing a great job enjoying the evolution!

The only piece of advice I would suggest you write in stone (so to speak) is that ANYPLACE you reach for a hand-hold and don't have one -- find one and install it. If you're like me you will discover it's those little things that make life safer and more comfy. Enjoy.
Hi Janice,

Thanks for the great suggestions. The solution for your spices I'd quite brilliant! The comment about the space by you stove got me thinking, I have about a foot of space open under my stove. With some minor modifications at the front, it would be the perfect place for foil, baggies, etc. So thanks again!

As I was initially storing things, I realized I would be reorganizing as I started living/using the space. Realistically, it will probably take about four tries before I get it right. I have already begun to realize I moved stuff to the boat we will never use, so when we go home in a few weeks I will be taking stuff back (or just getting rid of it) and that will free up space too.

The point about the handholds is well taken. We have already added more for getting in and out of the cockpit. Like Lagoon4us, we had a 'no man's land' of no handholds for a long stretch. I know we will need more below, but need to pay more attention to where is the best place.

Thanks.
Old 23-03-2013, 04:20   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceunderway View Post

Love your humor...Here is my husbands list:

Don’s Dikshunary

Aground – A place the boat doesn’t perform well at all. Generally pronounced: UHHHH!!!! GROUND!!!!

Anchor - An item designed to keep a boat in the same spot on the water. Designs differ but they are all HEAVY.

Anchoring - Attempting to use an item designed to keep a boat in the same spot on the water. Methods differ but they are all a bit sketchy.

Anchor Alarm – Similar to an alarm clock, but different, in that you stay awake all night listening for it to go off. You can stop listening for it as soon as the alarm clock goes off and….wakes you up….?

Chart - Something that can be REALLY hard to read.

Chartplotter – An expensive way to display something that can be REALLY hard to read.
Depth – The distance between the surface of the water and the bottom. A surprisingly short distance at times. (see Aground)
Depth Sounder – Usually me, but sometimes Silvana. Sounds like “flock me” and in general not a pleasant sound during daylight hours.
Diesel – Really bad actor. Also something barely flamable that I seem to burn the flock out of!
Flock – Something I am considering saying….instead of another word. Enough said I think.
Gas Generator – Well….not me, and rarely the cat….but….
ICW Improvement Plan – Add WATER to the flocking ditch!!!! The plan is still in the developmental phase.
Interim ICW Improvement Plan – Some guy with two bent pieces of metal coat hanger and a REALLY BIG, UNUSED drilling rig that follows him around.
Over-estimate – When water splashes OVER the bow, I ESTIMATE the wind is blowing really hard. Perhaps too hard.
Propane Generator – (working HARD on this one because we use lots of propane).
Proposed Interim ICW Improvement Plan – A bit sketchy, but something to do with pulling the moon closer to the Ocean. The plans chief proponents blame lack of progress on a SEVERE rope shortage, but just secured a huge budget to study replacing the rope with ‘other suitable materials.
Sailboat - A type of boat with one or more long poles sticking waaaay in the air that the owners wrap expensive canvas around, and is propelled by a really slow engine.
Stress – The result of learning everything you DON’T know about driving your big boat.
Under-estimate – When less than 5 feet of water is UNDER the boat, I ESTIMATE I am really screwed.
VHF - Very High Frequency.
VHF Radio – Very High Frequency Radio. Must be for dogs or something because I rarely hear or understand it.

Wind Generator – (still working on this one. seems I am always right behind him. keeps getting stronger so I must be getting close. will try to post a photo.)

Grace Underway
Graceunderway,

LOLOLOL! That was the funniest thing I have read in a long time and very true too. My husband got a big kick out of it too!

Thanks for contributing!
Old 23-03-2013, 04:25   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post

I'm on a 28 foot boat.... You have no idea!
You are right, I can't even imagine -- we have got this baby packed to the gills! I am sure I could learn some valuable lessons from you on streamlining things. On the plus side, maybe my husband would lose the 20 pounds he has gained over the years if I had less room for food, LOL!
Old 23-03-2013, 04:35   #36

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Six Months In & Here Is What I Have Learned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
Mañana is perhaps my favorite Spanish word. While the literal translation is "tomorrow" in reality it usually means "not now". We have a large extended Mexican family thanks to our Mexican "daughter" who has spent close to a year living with us in Canada. When we visited her in Guadalajara in January I was again struck by the different attitude to time that native Mexicans have. Karlita has adopted a more northerly attitude but the balance of her family clearly has not.
When we in Indonesia we were told their language lacks a word to indicate the level of urgency implied by 'mañana'.
Old 23-03-2013, 05:04   #37
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm sure that boat are like houses, if you have the space you will fill it and can not image how anyone with something smaller could possibly manage.
Old 23-03-2013, 05:08   #38

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
My hubby feels the same in the 'candy store' he can spend hours in both marine and hardware stores.
The last house I bought, I would watch HGTV and TLC for ideas to do around the house. One day, I went to Home Depot about 4 times just to look at the possibilities. I didn't buy anything but it was a day worth spent. Plus, I thought it was more fun to go in person than to look online. HD is a good place to get lost in for a couple hours.

Quote:
Slowing down is good!
I'm trying to get my fiancee to figure this part out. Relaxing and taking it slow isn't in her vocabulary so I'm trying to pencil it in for her. LOL
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 05:55   #39

Wonderful thread!

After 28 years of boat projects... I've discovered a law... everything you do has to be done twice... regardless of how carefully planned and rehearsed and choreographed it is. You simply cannot proceed without circling back for a do over, or a forgotten bit. And this law applies to sub project as well so the more complex the project the more instances of the LAW you will confront.

The one exception to the LAW seems to be cleaning projects. They may take longer... but they don't follow the same paradigm.

And of course one of the main issues is that despite the similarities in boats... everyone is essentially a *one off* and this makes it a unique complex system.. with the owner being the expert (supposedly). And this does not prevent all the expertise to come flowing at you as you try to plot a course to project completion.

It's called messing about on boats.... it never ends. A lifetime of frustration punctuated by moments of extreme ecstasy.

Trial by fire is the only way.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 07:45   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
When working on a project, subdivide it into smaller projects that you can easily complete. If a project cannot be separated from its neighbor (intertwined cabling, for example), then tackle it as one BIG project. To give you an idea...when troubleshooting an electronic gizmo, I start with the power supply from its input to its output...testing under a normal load. If it passes, I go to the next "cubicle" in the gizmo and so on... When you work on small bite size projects, you'll also learn how they were put together, thus increasing your knowledge base. In case you need to go back, it will be that much easier and rewarding. Keep a rough sketch of labeled connections, prior to removing any. As you progress, check-off what was completed. In the end, when you look back...pat yourself on your back...you've done it! Mauritz
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 08:08   #41
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

smart move--wind is blowing me toward panama....when wind not blowing, perkins works ....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 17:38   #42

Boat: Cross 38' trimaran

In Indonesia they say "besok" for tomorrow; but things are done there in "Jam kerat" or, "rubber time", is how it translates.
stevelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 18:31   #43

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:

But she has taken to rocking her water bowl so some sloshes out, it stays on the placemat too. I think she does that to help her see the level of the water, she is slightly cross eyed.
Hello! I've relay enjoyed your thread. For the kitty sloshing might I suggest a bowl that can help? I use a Buddy Bowl but there are many out there with the similar design.

http://www.amazon.com/Buddy-Bowl-44o.../dp/B0044M0FIM

This one has more a cat size:
http://www.roadrefresher.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Jolly-Pets-Ref...road+refresher

One of mine will turn on faucets if I'm not careful. All the more reason for a foot pump.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 18:52   #44

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Smart Move,

It's lovely to read your joy in beginning cruising. You wrote, "The comment about the space by your stove got me thinking, I have about a foot of space open under my stove. With some minor modifications at the front, it would be the perfect place for foil, baggies, etc. So thanks again!" While that may work for you, we use that space for heavy things, pots, lids, skillets, more lids. It really depends on how much room there is there, and whether you can create a "door" for it that you can latch, so stuff doesn't go awry when heeled. The basic rule of thumb is heavy stuff low, lighter stuff higher. It's not possible for everything, of course, but we've found it a useful guideline, the past 25 yrs.

Enjoy!

Ann
Old 26-05-2013, 19:17   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

SM, It sounds like your doing great. If it makes you feel any better, the first two years of my boat I felt like I was just plugging leaks. Now that I have had it 4 years, all the "doing the job right" is paying off and I feel like I really am just putting on pretty stuff now, with the every other year haul out and paint (which I just completed myself, thank you very much )
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote