Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2018, 07:35   #151
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Single Women Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Did someone just call me..???
If the codpiece fits....[emoji1]
Pelagic is offline   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 07:43   #152

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Ahhh, you've seen the ball juggling video. ;^)

goat
goat is offline   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 07:46   #153
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single Women Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Everything has its plaice in this world..

Back on topic..
Boats suitable for women should be the same as for men.. dependant on fitness, mobility, and rigged to suit accordingly.. some women love cats.. others I know hate the sharp unpredictable movements in a sea.. preferring the greater predictability of a mono's movement and prepared to accept the dread 'Tippey Tippey' of life at 5 degrees and more.
One master sailor I know is addicted to Gaffers.. skippered 'Provident' for a couple of seasons and is a wooden ships surveyor and RYA instructor.. I was lucky to get to know her in the early years of her dream at 'Egremont' (RYA School) when she got her first little 25ftr.
Its an individual thing and as such, no boxes to fit folks into.. its why folks sail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	940-provi-sillouette.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	164153  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 07:48   #154

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Does anyone else see the irony of a thread called "single men living aboard" being mostly posted on by married men and women? Or "single women living aboard" being discussed mostly by men?
No? Ok, just me then.

goat
goat is offline   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 08:18   #155
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I have loved this gif for years.
Relevance? probably none...

weavis is offline   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 08:25   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The solo transat where I turned back after a large wave dumped on me punching out one small bulkhead and breaking tabs on the main bulkhead.. then the second successful attempt on the same boat when a large wave on the beam bounced me off a cockpit winch bruising my lower back, resulting in my having to heave to for a few days dosing up with Paracetamol till some safe working mobility returned.. I was down below recovering, not on deck and it was reported by Towndock.net of Oriental NC.. nice folks..

No.. the 30metre mast climb, twice in two days, was by Ellen Macarthur on a 70 odd footer in the S Atlantic during a solo RTW race.. aimed at guys wanting to know what boat would be suitable for women with less upper body strength than men.
How many here could do that.. and saying she was not the norm is not acceptable.. that's just a sexist copout.
Recognizing facts is not a copout.

Quote:
A study in the Journal of Applied Physiology found that men had an average of 26 lbs. (12 kilograms) more skeletal muscle mass than women. Women also exhibited about 40 percent less upper-body strength and 33 percent less lower-body strength, on average, the study found.
That's not "sexist", it's factual information. Women, on average, have less strength. Demonstrating that there are some (actually many numerically if a small percentage-wise) who don't fit into the "average" category for their gender doesn't change those facts. Facts aren't sexist, despite how you some would portray them. So no, it isn't a "sexist copout" to point out that "on average" women have less upper body strength because the studies establish that as a fact.
jlcnuke is offline   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 08:27   #157
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Does anyone else see the irony of a thread called "single men living aboard" being mostly posted on by married men and women? Or "single women living aboard" being discussed mostly by men?
No? Ok, just me then.

goat
I'm in touch with my feminine side..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	don-quixote-movie.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	164154  

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 14-02-2018, 08:34   #158
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Upper body strength.

I would rate my mother as phenomenal.

One day after school in the '70s, I brought my friend Ian home. Ian came from a 'liberal home' where swearing was permitted...Mine was not.

We were in the lounge and my mother was cooking in the kitchen. Ian said, "Im bleeping hungry.."

I said I would go and ask my mother. She was at the stove frying something..

"mUm" said i, "we are bleeping hungry"

I dont recall the pan leaving the stove top. I do remember seeing stars. To this day Im amazed that not a single thing was spilled. She carried on as if nothing had happened.

I walked back into the lounge rubbing my head and reported "er.. mum said it wouldnt be long..."

Different times, different ways but I loved my mother to pieces...
weavis is offline   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 08:40   #159
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcnuke View Post

That's not "sexist", it's factual information. Women, on average, have less strength. Demonstrating that there are some (actually many numerically if a small percentage-wise) who don't fit into the "average" category for their gender doesn't change those facts. Facts aren't sexist, despite how you some would portray them. So no, it isn't a "sexist copout" to point out that "on average" women have less upper body strength because the studies establish that as a fact.
Studies on todays women who are bred to be 'Sugar and spice and all things nice'.. given Barbies and discouraged from physical activities in the main.. men in this category are called 'Nerds' and have sand kicked in their face..
However stamina is another form of strength and can compensate for the steroid effect.. also a woman is generally lighter than the male so at times can out perform men in various ways..
Fair do's.. a 250lb man will out bench press a 120lb woman any day.. in fact he'd out bench press me at a mere 155lbs but lets see him climb that 30metre mast on a rolling boat without help.
Strength comes in many forms..

Old 14-02-2018, 08:42   #160

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcnuke View Post

Thanks for clearing up what most of us already know. I just don't understand why some people are confused with the facts when they don't support their agenda. But then again, why let the facts stand in the way of a good emotional argument.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 08:49   #161

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

Okay folks,
I have read and kept up with this entire thread. Although some, not all, men find Zee's comments insulting, I do not. As a white male in America, I have been extended many privileges that most consider "rights". I am generally considered "safe" when I run into police officers. I am not worried about rape or discrimination. And I'm sure there are many other things I am not thinking of.

I live in a nice rural neighborhood that is largely white in population. My very good friend, a black man who also owns a home here, has a different perspective on things. He has been repeatedly pulled over by our local sheriffs, made to lie on the ground, and even had his two daughters, who were in the car, be asked if they were there on their own free will.

So, can I realistically discuss racism with him? Can I say with authority that I know how he feels? All the reading in the world will not put me on his level of experience and discomfort. So I say to all of you men, even though you might be offended by some of Zee's comments, how can you possibly say that her experience is not "real"? We men have not been subjected to all that Zee and some others have been talking about, probably ever in our lives. I say give the women some room to tell us about us. Certainly, we are not all pervs and molesters, but apparently, a good number are. Have any of you been watching the news lately? The "Me Too" movement? I am disgusted by the pervasiveness of men abusing power in our society, and even more so that it was fairly common knowledge by those around these predators, people who did nothing about it.

Zee and the other women who have posted, I thank you for giving us an un-varnished look at your world. Just like with my neighborhood friend, most of us "normal" males just can't see the forest for the trees, because we have never walked that particular path, let alone lived it. All we can do as "normal" males is help to change the world by being nice and trustworthy, and to make women feel safe in our presence.

Ok, I'm done. Zee you rock!!

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 08:50   #162
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=kmacdonald;2576977]Thanks for clearing up what most of us already know. I just don't understand why some people are confused with the facts when they don't support their agenda. But then again, why let the facts stand in the way of a good emotional argument.[/QUOTE

Hey.. what can I say.. live with your insecurities..
As to agenda's.. I have none, other than to laugh at a society skewed one way.

Old 14-02-2018, 09:00   #163

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

[QUOTE=boatman61;2576989]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Thanks for clearing up what most of us already know. I just don't understand why some people are confused with the facts when they don't support their agenda. But then again, why let the facts stand in the way of a good emotional argument.[/QUOTE

Hey.. what can I say.. live with your insecurities..
As to agenda's.. I have none, other than to laugh at a society skewed one way.
From the posts and responses in this thread, it doesn't look skewed one way. The opinions are all over the board, and don't even appear gender specific.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 09:08   #164
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

No point is worth rereading 11 pages of posts.. 9 off which are off topic.. 2 of which are down to me..

Old 14-02-2018, 09:09   #165

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
Okay folks,
I have read and kept up with this entire thread. Although some, not all, men find Zee's comments insulting, I do not. As a white male in America, I have been extended many privileges that most consider "rights". I am generally considered "safe" when I run into police officers. I am not worried about rape or discrimination. And I'm sure there are many other things I am not thinking of.

I live in a nice rural neighborhood that is largely white in population. My very good friend, a black man who also owns a home here, has a different perspective on things. He has been repeatedly pulled over by our local sheriffs, made to lie on the ground, and even had his two daughters, who were in the car, be asked if they were there on their own free will.

So, can I realistically discuss racism with him? Can I say with authority that I know how he feels? All the reading in the world will not put me on his level of experience and discomfort. So I say to all of you men, even though you might be offended by some of Zee's comments, how can you possibly say that her experience is not "real"? We men have not been subjected to all that Zee and some others have been talking about, probably ever in our lives. I say give the women some room to tell us about us. Certainly, we are not all pervs and molesters, but apparently, a good number are. Have any of you been watching the news lately? The "Me Too" movement? I am disgusted by the pervasiveness of men abusing power in our society, and even more so that it was fairly common knowledge by those around these predators, people who did nothing about it.

Zee and the other women who have posted, I thank you for giving us an un-varnished look at your world. Just like with my neighborhood friend, most of us "normal" males just can't see the forest for the trees, because we have never walked that particular path, let alone lived it. All we can do as "normal" males is help to change the world by being nice and trustworthy, and to make women feel safe in our presence.

Ok, I'm done. Zee you rock!!

Cheers, Bill
No, a good number are not, do not exaggerate.
daletournier is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, living aboard, men, single