Cruisers Forum
 


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2018, 05:46   #136
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 25,670
Images: 2
pirate Re: Single Women Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look

Originally Posted by Pelagic
Now, what is considered the perfect cruising boat for a single female solo sailor, with less than average upper body strength, than her male counterpart?

Methinks it should be this 5ft 2inch lady who should be asking the patronising men on this forum the question what would suit them best..
Doubtless we will get the usual.. "Ahh.. but she is an exception.."



Ellen MacArthur was getting her solo round-the-world record bid back on track after scaling the mast to make repairs off the coast of Brazil.
MacArthur climbed the 30m spar on her B&Q trimaran twice to fix the metal mast track on which the mainsail runs on a series of "cars".
"I feel like I've been beaten up," she told her website. "It was brutal, really hard."
MacArthur's lead was down to one day 21 hours at 0625 GMT on Friday.
__________________


Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 06:03   #137
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 25,670
Images: 2
pirate Re: Single Women Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look

Another thing I've noticed.. people like cryan make emotive statements like "Parents will die for their children"
Yet every day around the world there's parents sexually abusing their children or beating them to death.
Objectivity is lost when personal emotions come to the fore.
__________________


Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 06:11   #138
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: UK-Mallorca
Posts: 13,278
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Single Women Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Another thing I've noticed.. people like cryan make emotive statements like "Parents will die for their children"
Yet every day around the world there's parents sexually abusing their children or beating them to death.
Objectivity is lost when personal emotions come to the fore.
Come on Phil. Its not the norm is it? There is a percentage of the population that is twisted and these things happen. It is outside of the majority.

Statements like this show that the deviant behaviour exists and cannot ever be acceptable to familial relationships and society....

And never should.

Fixing it another problem. sigh.
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 06:15   #139
Registered User
 
daletournier's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Boat: Catalina 470
Posts: 4,757
Re: Single Women Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Another thing I've noticed.. people like cryan make emotive statements like "Parents will die for their children"
Yet every day around the world there's parents sexually abusing their children or beating them to death.
Objectivity is lost when personal emotions come to the fore.
You were being confrontational, now your being emotional
daletournier is offline   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 06:32   #140
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Easton, MD
Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Posts: 3,090
Re: Single Women Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Another thing I've noticed.. people like cryan make emotive statements like "Parents will die for their children"
Yet every day around the world there's parents sexually abusing their children or beating them to death.
Objectivity is lost when personal emotions come to the fore.
Well said. People with an agenda are just as bad. Topics like this will always draw the fanatics to the surface.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 07:01   #141
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 25,670
Images: 2
pirate Re: Single Women Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Come on Phil. Its not the norm is it? There is a percentage of the population that is twisted and these things happen. It is outside of the majority.

Statements like this show that the deviant behaviour exists and cannot ever be acceptable to familial relationships and society....


And never should.

Fixing it another problem. sigh.
I never said its the norm..
I am just demonstrating that Zee was attacked for her statements.. and I am demonstrating that it works both ways.. how many times do shocked neighbours say.. "They were such a nice couple.. I cant understand it".
Perv's of all types go sailing, but not all sailors are Perv's..
I know of many examples of weird folks traveling the oceans..
Weird being relative to ones personal boundaries..
As to your last statement in red.. does that apply only to Your standards or does it depend on the society.. Mormons with multiple wives.. the tribe in the Himalaya's that allows multiple husbands.. the Islamic tradition of arranging child brides.. the list is enormous.
Or.. is the world to conform to the deviance of the western religion..
Perspectives..

Remember.. Childhood is a Victorian invention of the privileged class.

__________________


Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 07:06   #142
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: UK-Mallorca
Posts: 13,278
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Single Women Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I never said its the norm..
I am just demonstrating that Zee was attacked for her statements.. and I am demonstrating that it works both ways.. how many times do shocked neighbours say.. "They were such a nice couple.. I cant understand it".
Perv's of all types go sailing, but not all sailors are Perv's..
I know of many examples of weird folks traveling the oceans..
Weird being relative to ones personal boundaries..
As to your last statement in red.. does that apply only to Your standards or does it depend on the society.. Mormons with multiple wives.. the tribe in the Himalaya's that allows multiple husbands.. the Islamic tradition of arranging child brides.. the list is enormous.
Or.. is the world to conform to the deviance of the western religion..
Perspectives..

Remember.. Childhood is a Victorian invention of the privileged class.

She was brought to task for stating all solo male sailors are deviants. Lets keep it on point here Phil.
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 07:27   #143
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 25,670
Images: 2
pirate Re: Single Women Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look


I am keeping it on point Gary..
Zee has a unique language which takes some a while to understand.. in the early days I used to reread her posts a couple of times to get her point.
However many it seems do not take the trouble to do this, just seize the most controversial thing in the post and get stuck in..
Its not an uncommon thing.. many members who do not have English/American as their first language get similar treatment.. simply because their point is not grasped because of the phrasing..
Google Translate is not the greatest tool when called into use.. and the Grammar police are not slow of the mark.

That being said.. which man on here can climb a 30metre mast solo while underway in the S Atalantic.. twice.. its still very quiet on that point..
__________________


Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 07:30   #144
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Easton, MD
Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Posts: 3,090
Re: Single Women Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
She was brought to task for stating all solo male sailors are deviants. Lets keep it on point here Phil.
And we all love Zee for who she is. Her perceptions are what they are. She just gave us hers. She meant no harm to anyone.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 07:44   #145
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: UK-Mallorca
Posts: 13,278
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Single Women Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

I am keeping it on point Gary..
Zee has a unique language which takes some a while to understand.. in the early days I used to reread her posts a couple of times to get her point.
However many it seems do not take the trouble to do this, just seize the most controversial thing in the post and get stuck in..
Its not an uncommon thing.. many members who do not have English/American as their first language get similar treatment.. simply because their point is not grasped because of the phrasing..
Google Translate is not the greatest tool when called into use.. and the Grammar police are not slow of the mark.
That being said.. which man on here can climb a 30metre mast solo while underway in the S Atalantic.. twice.. its still very quiet on that point..
Phil. The moderators have had to wade through Zeehags posts for a lot of years and are familiar with her style. I have to state for the record that its disconcerting that a highly trained member of the medical fraternity who self confessedly has to report things 100% accurately is unable to do so here on the CF.

There is NO getting around what was written. Explaining afterward what "was meant" does not cut it. Zee has a history of antipathy toward men and this final condemnatory statement against male solo sailors is offensive and derogatory. Not only that, as some posters have pointed out, the factual side of her stance plus the contradictory nature of her posts, are too confusing to make a logical conclusion.

As to your world view of what is acceptable. Let us assume Zee as a westerner condemns child abuse, marital unfaithfulness and players and criminals. SO whilst working within that framework, I and many other single solo sailors, also working within that framework take deep exception to her view, which CANNOT be based on experience because ALL solo sailors have not met her or are a one of the above.

She was wrong to make that statement. Will all innocent male solo sailors get an apology? I guess not.

But men will always get the blame.

As for climbing a mast twice, I recall reading a newspaper article a couple of years ago about a journey you undertook, (Twice if I recall correctly?) several years previously. Was one attempt abandoned? you were laid out on the deck for days with a bad back after an injury. Im not sure if that was the same article about having to climb the mast.
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 08:02   #146
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 25,670
Images: 2
pirate Re: Single Women Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post

As for climbing a mast twice, I recall reading a newspaper article a couple of years ago about a journey you undertook, (Twice if I recall correctly?) several years previously. Was one attempt abandoned? you were laid out on the deck for days with a bad back after an injury. Im not sure if that was the same article about having to climb the mast.
The solo transat where I turned back after a large wave dumped on me punching out one small bulkhead and breaking tabs on the main bulkhead.. then the second successful attempt on the same boat when a large wave on the beam bounced me off a cockpit winch bruising my lower back, resulting in my having to heave to for a few days dosing up with Paracetamol till some safe working mobility returned.. I was down below recovering, not on deck and it was reported by Towndock.net of Oriental NC.. nice folks..

No.. the 30metre mast climb, twice in two days, was by Ellen Macarthur on a 70 odd footer in the S Atlantic during a solo RTW race.. aimed at guys wanting to know what boat would be suitable for women with less upper body strength than men.
How many here could do that.. and saying she was not the norm is not acceptable.. that's just a sexist copout.
__________________


Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 08:10   #147
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: UK-Mallorca
Posts: 13,278
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Single Women Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look

TIme for us to move along nicely from this topic.

All has been said and sides are dug in.

Stalemate.

Apologies cyan for inciting your wife away from catamarans. I took a closer look at the boat she likes and personally, I cant find any attractive feature about it. Im sure lots of mono sailors will, just not for me.

Im with Boatie on the smaller older English monos, but prefer older english designed cats.

We is all different.
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 08:15   #148
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: UK-Mallorca
Posts: 13,278
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Single Women Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post


No.. the 30metre mast climb, twice in two days, was by Ellen Macarthur on a 70 odd footer in the S Atlantic during a solo RTW race.. aimed at guys wanting to know what boat would be suitable for women with less upper body strength than men.
How many here could do that.. and saying she was not the norm is not acceptable.. that's just a sexist copout.
I have NEVER demeaned a womans ability to do anything when it has to be done. I can tell you stories of strength and courage and feats beyond belief by women.

I had kidney stones in '86. Dropped me to my knees and intense pain for 3 days... I mean intense. I collapsed on the third day and my clinic partner gave me pethidine. Our clinic nurse, a small demure Irish lass smiled and patted me on the arm and said that it was the closest pain a man would experience to childbirth, only weaker..

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 08:19   #149
CF Adviser
 
Pelagic's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Posts: 9,534
Re: Single Women Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look

Hypersensitivity is the bane of intelligent discussions and we are all sometimes guilty of it.

Somehow, we can discuss without rancour, a suitable cruising boat for an "older" sailor.

Yet when I ask that same question for a solo women sailor to get us back to boats, Boatie comes riding in to tip at windmills

Ellen McCarthur is not an average sailor, nor is a round the world nonstop race an average endeavor.

By the way, Auckland 2000, Americas cup, Ellen was their with her parents for the promotion of her boat, put on by her main sponsor. Forget the name)
I was standing beside her parents as she climbed the rigging with some ingenious lifting device to demonstrate how to check the rigging.

Heard her mum mutter, "I never get used to that"

Just remembered sponsor...Kingfisher.
Pelagic is online now   Reply
Old 14-02-2018, 08:29   #150
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 25,670
Images: 2
pirate Re: Single Women Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look

Did someone just call me..???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	don-quixote-movie.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	164152  
__________________


Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, living aboard, men, single

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look. 2hullvenus Liveaboard's Forum 2544 29-01-2020 13:08

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:59.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.