Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2018, 15:01   #2296

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclecticjoy View Post
We do a lot of research finding the boat we want, we might even fly halfway across the world to see it.
People who fly half way around the world to find love have usually either

a) been scammed online

or

b) are doing something that is illegal in their country.

But you make an interesting point.
Old 05-11-2018, 15:02   #2297
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
What if we put the same amount of effort into finding a life partner as we did a boat?
We do a lot of research finding the boat we want, we might even fly halfway across the world to see it. It might be beautiful with a nice paint job, but we still order the survey.
When we find the right boat we love it and want to buy it, we don't rent it. We treat something we buy much better than something we rent.

We're looking for the person we want to spend the rest of our life with, the person we want to go to bed with and say, "wasn't that a great day! What shall we do tomorrow?", then make love. The person we will trust with all our finances, the one person we want holding our hand on our deathbed.

Shouldn't we work as hard to find them as we would a boat?
Interesting concept but the first thing I would work on is the plumbing.

Why put a recreational area right beside the sewage discharge? [emoji4]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 15:03   #2298
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
What if we put the same amount of effort into finding a life partner as we did a boat?
We do a lot of research finding the boat we want, we might even fly halfway across the world to see it. It might be beautiful with a nice paint job, but we still order the survey.
When we find the right boat we love it and want to buy it, we don't rent it. We treat something we buy much better than something we rent.

We're looking for the person we want to spend the rest of our life with, the person we want to go to bed with and say, "wasn't that a great day! What shall we do tomorrow?", then make love. The person we will trust with all our finances, the one person we want holding our hand on our deathbed.

Oh I do..
Go online.. read all the ads and choose the possible perfect matches then head off to do some viewing.
The test sail can be a problem tho'..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 15:07   #2299

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi

Quote:
We do a lot of research finding the boat we want, we might even fly halfway across the world to see it. It might be beautiful with a nice paint job, but we still order the survey. ?
Just not sure what that survey will look like. Seems a bit painful, perhaps. What exactly will we be searching for?
Old 05-11-2018, 15:42   #2300

Boat: Catalina 30

Well as divorced for over a decade now I would say it suits me well, we still talk a few times a month and neither one has any regrets and I'm glad we've remained friends, although our days off sailing anywhere on anything together are long past, we do run into each other from time to time (boats on opposite sides of the same harbor)
I did have female company for a while until early July last year, when we got back from Bermuda, turns out we didnt sail well together so when we got back we went our separate ways. I'll stick to more casual dating works better for me.
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 15:48   #2301

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:

Finally, an explanation for my 3 divorces. SMIRK
Old 05-11-2018, 16:31   #2302

Quote:

At least with a boat one can get a survey.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 17:02   #2303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carat View Post
This thread keeps showing up on my email...too funny. So, I'll chime in again.

Sad to hear women take off in search of a better life on land or with someone else who, in their mind, can provide financial security and material wealth. The grass is never greener on the other side. Theyll be back only to continue the circle of forever never satisfied.

I envy the women who share their lives with the men they have simialr interests with, hence living aboard and traveling the oceans. My chances are slim as far as snagging a man seeking a young hot woman who wants to travel the world. I'm not young and I have dreads....that's two strikes already. Lol.
Send recent picture of your boat. CHUCKLE
Old 05-11-2018, 17:05   #2304

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Oh I do..
Go online.. read all the ads and choose the possible perfect matches then head off to do some viewing.
The test sail can be a problem tho'..
Hmmmm, how about getting a professional to survey her?
But then, she may want a professional to survey you?
So what's the down side?
Old 05-11-2018, 18:25   #2305

The difference is of course, you buy a boat entirely with your head. You look at size, sailing ability, comfort in port & at sea, how much you may have to spend on making any changes to suit you, & if you can finance the deal.

Wit a lady it is entirely different. First she must turn you on. If she meets this requirement you then forget all the other requirements on the shopping list & go for it.

The fact she is a lousy cook, doesn't really want to go sailing, or can be a bit of a bitch at times is all forgiven, in your turned on state.

Then we forget that a boat is not even likely to be a lifetime deal. How many still have the same boat after 20 years, not very many. Surely it is wishful thinking that we will still be madly turned on by the same lady/bloke after 20 years. Some lucky ones grow together, but just as many grow away in different directions. That "happy ever after" is mostly only a suitable ending for fairy tales.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 18:36   #2306

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:

I think I'm in love with you. This is the most romantic explanation yet of why I've had a longer relationship with my boat than the men in my life
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 15:14   #2307

Quote:

You're right, is there anything similar to a boat show where I can go take a few different ones out for some test rides?
MountainKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 15:42   #2308
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:

Hi electicjoy ....and welcome to CF!
Your post ilicited a number of tongue in cheek responses (including mine /sorry!)

I think for many, "emotions" play a big part in choosing a liveaboard. We are attracted to her sheer and tumblehome.
How well she sits in the water, the feel of her helm under sail and how nicely she fits our romantic image of being our nautical totem.

We rationalize the weaknesses we observe as "fixable" (not unlike a romantic partner).

In reality i think we often attribute that moment of decision as a lump rather than a sum.
....They are made up of kneaded feelings.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 15:43   #2309

Quote:
What if we put the same amount of effort into finding a life partner as we did a boat...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I think I'm in love with you. This is the most romantic explanation yet of why I've had a longer relationship with my boat than the men in my life
I'm all for two ladies finding each other here... it just seems to be a bit cruel to make it sound so beautiful, given the number of single guys on this thing...
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 19:05   #2310

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
I'm all for two ladies finding each other here... it just seems to be a bit cruel to make it sound so beautiful, given the number of single guys on this thing...
Oh come on, Cyan, maybe all the single guys need to find their sensitive sides, huh? What's so cruel about a beautiful love?

Besides, I'm a sucker for poetic writing regardless of gender
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, living aboard, men, single