Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2017, 08:12   #751

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Let me throw another perspective in as to why some guys tend to only find women who expect to be supported....the fully independent types don't need you and you'd have to work hard to get them (if you can find them). As Dale says above, it's easier to do your own thing and avoid the emotional drama.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 08:25   #752

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Let me throw another perspective in as to why some guys tend to only find women who expect to be supported....the fully independent types don't need you and you'd have to work hard to get them (if you can find them). As Dale says above, it's easier to do your own thing and avoid the emotional drama.
She is giving up everything to be with her man. I find no fault supporting her. Within reason. I wont buy her a car or a new house or or or
Old 22-10-2017, 08:33   #753
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Or just accept paying for it all, find the balance between how much you have / can make and reasonable demands.

Sometimes straight transactional arrangements can work out just fine, and nice thing is, either party can cut loose when things start to go south.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 09:05   #754

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Or just accept paying for it all, find the balance between how much you have / can make and reasonable demands.

Sometimes straight transactional arrangements can work out just fine, and nice thing is, either party can cut loose when things start to go south.
Pray tell, how much will you pay her? 10K, 20K, 30K, how about a nice round figure of 75K ??? EH?
You might very well offend her, emotionally. She will give you her all and you want to put a price on it? Good luck.
How much does love and devotion sell for these days?
Old 22-10-2017, 10:18   #755

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
I think theres some truth to that. But sometimes you get an independent woman that loses her independence by coming with you, particularly if she cant finance her life without working.

If the lady has little or no money a dynamic is created where the man has the power even if thats not what he wants. No one likes asking another for money, its disempowering and resentment often builds, the person that is supplying the money feels this and thinks "you ungrateful.......", the relationship cancer sets in.

Us humans are complicated.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 10:22   #756

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I think theres some truth to that. But sometimes you get an independent woman that loses her independence by coming with you, particularly if she cant finance her life without working.

If the lady has little or no money a dynamic is created where the man has the power even if thats not what he wants. No one likes asking another for money, its disempowering and resentment often builds, the person that is supplying the money feels this and thinks "you ungrateful.......", the relationship cancer sets in.

A monthly allowance? Now, how much.
Old 22-10-2017, 10:33   #757
cruiser

I find it strange you keep asking that. How long is a piece of string?

Surely it would be up to the adults involved to come to an agreement. . .

And of course "love" however you want to define it needn't come into the picture at all, but if it ever does, that has little to do with the practical arrangements.
Old 22-10-2017, 10:38   #758

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I find it strange you keep asking that. How long is a piece of string?

Surely it would be up to the adults involved to come to an agreement. . .

And of course "love" however you want to define it needn't come into the picture at all, but if it ever does, that has little to do with the practical arrangements.
Yup, but if one is going to support a woman without question, there has to be a discussion at some point.

My 'lovely' stepmother, aka 'the wicked witch of the west', 'milked' my father like a dairy cow. Solutions? He outlived her.
Old 22-10-2017, 10:51   #759
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
Yup, but if one is going to support a woman without question, there has to be a discussion at some point.

My 'lovely' stepmother, aka 'the wicked witch of the west', 'milked' my father like a dairy cow. Solutions? He outlived her.
All of which is the opposite what I'm talking about. Yes of course in a purely transactional relationship all the cards are showing on the table, the deal's full details made explicit up front.

And any role can be played by any gender.

I was just saying, to the extent actual cash is involved, the amounts involved will depend on the context and people involved in that place and at that moment, and can't be generalized.

Especially if/when both parties have a lot to offer on a barter basis, money may end up being a very small fraction of the value exchanged.
Old 22-10-2017, 10:53   #760

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Exactly! After a couple of times getting snookered into believing a woman is truly independent only to find out she is not, a guy's complaints go from explanation to excuse! And I like the concept of "need" vs. "want." I think a lot of both men & women are emotionally needy themselves and also have a need to be "needed" by their partners. Whereas others' basic desire is to be "wanted." Perhaps never the two shall meet?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 11:25   #761
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Sounds like some cheap trick to me[emoji1]
https://youtu.be/BJs_L7yq5qE
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 11:28   #762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
She is giving up everything to be with her man. I find no fault supporting her. Within reason. I wont buy her a car or a new house or or or
I would find no fault supporting her either if that were the only practical way to make it work, but what exactly is she giving up? Presumably if she's making a conscious decision to leave a previous life behind and live/sail/travel with her significant other on a boat, then she has concluded that whatever trade-offs are involved favor life on the boat (rent/mtg free I should add). Different story, obviously, if she has no assets and her only source of income was a job she left behind. But after signing up for this type of scenario on land for far too long, only to continually hear why my house/budget/dog/etc. was inadequate to meet her needs, I'm not buying the oft-heard notion that it's the woman who generally makes the sacrifices.
Old 22-10-2017, 11:31   #763

I got a dog, no problems in the relationship so far.........
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 11:37   #764

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post

Very true, but unfixable by one party alone. You could set her up with her own account, give her a credit card, or otherwise equalize the imbalance as much as is practicable, but if she feels less powerful over it then it's her deal.
Old 22-10-2017, 11:40   #765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Sounds like some cheap trick to me[emoji1]
https://youtu.be/BJs_L7yq5qE
You mean my need vs. want shpeel as in the lyrics, or John61's transactional suggestion as in the name of the band?

Tags
cruising, living aboard, men, single