Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2017, 13:15   #1396

Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Its a shame when family dysfunction can be traced to something so insignificant as politics or religion....(Especially this time of year)
I never take either of them seriously as I realised a long time ago that the job of a Politician is to demonize their political opponent's view, in order to get elected. Priests do something similar, but more subtle.

I pretty much believe that we ALL want the same security and happiness for our families and it is simply the politicians who polarize the followers, for control purposes.

I don't mind discussing the politics or religion of anything. But only with intelligent people who understand that both are simply "social constructs" and not proof of anything.
Sorry to jump on this post , but just how much “ dinner table “ conversation can you have with , eg , a fascist or white supremist before you have to “ excuse me now “
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 13:22   #1397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Or as Moitessier put it in The Long Way:

"Sailing alone soothes me because the sea is fair, not cruel. It judges only your ability. It does not care who or what you are. It does not ask your age, color, sex, address, sexual orientation, education or IQ, but only your competence. It requires only that you can sail. If you can, you survive. If you can't, better stay ashore. That's fair, more fair than most of us experience on land...and refreshing."
No mate ( omg , I hope you are not Canadian ) one thing I know is that the sea ( like life ) is not fair , unless you mean it is unfair evenly to all !! It is a bitch and will bite you at any and all opertunity , like life it is up to your ability to. Cope with its nastyness !!
Old 28-12-2017, 13:27   #1398
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
Sorry to jump on this post , but just how much “ dinner table “ conversation can you have with , eg , a fascist or white supremist before you have to “ excuse me now “
Usually a fair bit.. before I fall over laughing..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 13:28   #1399

Boat: Toni Hansen Trimere 33

I hear guys complaining all the time that they can't get women on their boats. Then I look at their boats and they are **** holes. No big surprise there. After seeing this senerio time and again, I knew this was not a road I'm going down. I found a 33' basket case that was manageable and restored it into beautiful condition with two years of steady work. My girlfriend and I have happily been living on it for two full years. Our plan is to spend two more winters up here in Maine and then we are sailing south.

My advice to you would be to get rid of the monster and find something you can manage to put into a condition that a woman would find acceptable. Forget the camper. That's even less of a babe magnet then you have now.

Ps. I'm 58 and my girlfriend is 50. Don't kid yourself. It's never too late.
Supers0nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 13:43   #1400

No man is an island , or as Grace Slick once said , he is “ an isthmus “ , no truer word ever spoken , a good woman is what turns an island into an isthmus .
Old 28-12-2017, 14:48   #1401

[QUOTE=Supers0nic;2544323]I hear guys complaining all the time that they can't get women on their boats. Then I look at their boats and they are **** holes. No big surprise there. After seeing this senerio time and again, I knew this was not a road I'm going down. I found a 33' basket case that was manageable and restored it into beautiful condition with two years of steady work. My girlfriend and I have happily been living on it for two full years. Our plan is to spend two more winters up here in Maine and then we are sailing south.

My advice to you would be to get rid of the monster and find something you can manage to put into a condition that a woman would find acceptable. Forget the camper. That's even less of a babe magnet then you have now.

Ps. I'm 58 and my girlfriend is 50. Don't kid yourself. It's never too late.[/QUOTE
It is never too late , but it is YOU not the boat , ( unless you get turned on by and can afford ) gold diggers .
Old 28-12-2017, 15:35   #1402

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I freely admit I am only partially woke, and that ignorance of the subconcious prejudices we all hold from our social programming is a more powerful cause of all such oppression, far more than intentional efforts by bad actors.

Women are sexist, minorities are racist, queers can be homophobic, poor people classist, disabled often ableist, elderly ageist etc, we all have work to do toward greater social justice.

At least I'm trying to be mindful, on a day to day, minute to minute basis.
my preferred approach is to be myself and do my own thing, I only care of the opinions of me held by people who are important to me,(and there are not all that many of them - all others can accept me as I am, or get stuffed}
KiwiKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 16:06   #1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So.. put in a nutshell..
Mono's are for men and Catamarans are for women..
You are a bad dude.

sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 18:08   #1404

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
No man is an island , or as Grace Slick once said , he is “ an isthmus “ , no truer word ever spoken , a good woman is what turns an island into an isthmus .
I almost named my boat 'Noman'. It's my island, and it would be nice to have time and tide wait for it.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 00:41   #1405

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
But but, I use the boat to get away from men.......

You know every marina I visit in the SF bay area has a few single women living aboard. Some even anchor out, or so I hear.
Right So is the SF Bay area really that unique...?!?
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 00:51   #1406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Ha! A voice of reason. Happy New Year to you too!
That was nice of you, Exile. I'm starting my 2018 resolution early to tone down the snark. Here's wishing you a grand New Year, too
Old 30-12-2017, 04:41   #1407

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
That was nice of you, Exile. I'm starting my 2018 resolution early to tone down the snark. Here's wishing you a grand New Year, too [emoji2]
Lol... Thats also one of my resolutions, failed yesterday.. Lol... but it's not the new year yet so I'm cutting myself some slack.

I figure cruisers forum is a good place to practice.. Lol.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 12:13   #1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Lol... Thats also one of my resolutions, failed yesterday.. Lol... but it's not the new year yet so I'm cutting myself some slack.

I'm rooting for you Dale! You can do it. It's probably not more difficult than losing weight, but everyone knows how that resolution turns out
Old 30-12-2017, 12:55   #1409

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post

Dale, if you contain yourself too much, you might explode. When you feel it happening, excuse yourself, go outside and .....
Old 30-12-2017, 13:47   #1410

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I'm rooting for you Dale! You can do it. It's probably not more difficult than losing weight, but everyone knows how that resolution turns out
Will nobody stand up for snarkiness? I mean the variant that entails a healthy combo of sarcasm & humor that is. Sometimes such posts devolve into becoming caustic I know, and then the next thing you know snarkiness has morphed into nastiness, and suddenly our loyal mods feel headaches coming on.

Come to think of it, the peer pressure around here is so intense that I might just have to join rather than protest Gamayun & Dale's Anti-Snarkiness Resolution of 2018. Of course, I'll have to become more tolerant of those who I find are intolerant of healthy diversity when it comes to opinion, all the while hiding behind their carefully cultivated outward appearance of tolerance & diversity that is. Now that was clearly worded, right?

Hmmm . . . that was probably snarky. But Dale got one in before the end of the year so maybe I'm OK. Then again, maybe my New Year's Resolution should just be to lose some weight??
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, living aboard, men, single