Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2017, 10:07   #1381

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

The photos alone demonstrate that those two smiling women are oppressed, and were compelled to put makeup on and take those selfies by the patriarchy forcing traditional gender roles on them.

Or more likely the profs are running out of new material for their next feminist theory class.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 10:18   #1382

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I think a lot of feminists have moved beyond putting down women who choose to embrace the patriarchy's gender roles for themselves.
Suggesting that women embrace roles because they're imposed by men as opposed to acting on their own free volition is itself patronizing and therefore politically incorrect. You should really be more careful or someone might mistake you for a member of the oppressor patriarchy.
Old 27-12-2017, 10:28   #1383
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I freely admit I am only partially woke, and that ignorance of the subconcious prejudices we all hold from our social programming is a more powerful cause of all such oppression, far more than intentional efforts by bad actors.

Women are sexist, minorities are racist, queers can be homophobic, poor people classist, disabled often ableist, elderly ageist etc, we all have work to do toward greater social justice.

At least I'm trying to be mindful, on a day to day, minute to minute basis.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 14:28   #1384

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I freely admit I am only partially woke, and that ignorance of the subconcious prejudices we all hold from our social programming is a more powerful cause of all such oppression, far more than intentional efforts by bad actors.

Must be hard work living at such heights. Maybe you can update some of the software, but you'll never get to the level you seem to aspire to unless you also acknowledge how humans are hard-wired.

Women are sexist, minorities are racist, queers can be homophobic, poor people classist, disabled often ableist, elderly ageist etc, we all have work to do toward greater social justice.

But mostly people are just people. You can live life focused on everyone's differences, or just look for what we all have in common and accept human limitations. Social justice is another made-up political term that nobody can define. Justice for the greater good depends first on taking responsibility for one's self & dependents, and setting a good example.

At least I'm trying to be mindful, on a day to day, minute to minute basis.
As I said, it sounds like a lotta work. Be tolerant, be respectful, try & avoid making assumptions, and the rest will follow. I know, I know, easier said than done (at least for me).
Old 28-12-2017, 06:11   #1385

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
If you want to test a man's character don't give him adversity, give him power!

Not sure who wrote that.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. Abraham Lincoln
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/a...lincoln_101343

Compliment of Google
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 07:12   #1386

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft

Well, the whole idea of a boat is to get away from females. Boats are kind of like no-go zones for women. It reminds them of "camping". When women think about boats, they think no showers, strange toilets and Natalie Wood. If you drop your earring in a house, maybe you can find it, but in a boat it's gone forever. Stuff like that terrifies them.

So, if you want to hang out with women, you either need to get a boat that is so big that it is indistinguishable from a house or get a house.
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 07:36   #1387
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc7 View Post
Well, the whole idea of a boat is to get away from females. Boats are kind of like no-go zones for women. It reminds them of "camping". When women think about boats, they think no showers, strange toilets and Natalie Wood. If you drop your earring in a house, maybe you can find it, but in a boat it's gone forever. Stuff like that terrifies them.

So, if you want to hang out with women, you either need to get a boat that is so big that it is indistinguishable from a house or get a house.
So.. put in a nutshell..
Mono's are for men and Catamarans are for women..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 08:16   #1388

Boat: Freedom 38

Oh puleaze guys. Now ya'll gone completely off your rockers and are just angling to stir stuff up. Happy 2018, or whatever century it is
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 09:41   #1389

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Oh puleaze guys. Now ya'll gone completely off your rockers and are just angling to stir stuff up. Happy 2018, or whatever century it is
Ha! A voice of reason. Happy New Year to you too!
Old 28-12-2017, 10:16   #1390

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:

Thanks for that! I laughed so hard I spit my coffee halfway across the galley and now I'll have to hire someone to come in to clean it up...
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 11:16   #1391
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Well, the whole idea of a boat is to get away from females. Boats are kind of like no-go zones for women.
But but, I use the boat to get away from men.......

You know every marina I visit in the SF bay area has a few single women living aboard. Some even anchor out, or so I hear.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 12:31   #1392

I was hoping to find some interesting information in this as I’m itching to purchase a yacht, but didn’t find anything in this thread of value to a single live aboard sailor. How do all these philosophical arguments actually help a single sailor? Things like “the perfect port” where someone saw a sailing school and there were women interested in learning, or a yacht club with an amazing marina restaurant, a island in the Philippines where people travel from island to island, offshore dates, success in big city marinas...though I could of missed that discussion through 100 pages
Boosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 12:49   #1393
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Boosted... the title should have given the clue..
Should have been.. 'How come Popeye always lands Olive and Desperate Dan eats cowheel pie alone.. again.'
The myth continues..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 13:08   #1394

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted View Post
I was hoping to find some interesting information in this as I’m itching to purchase a yacht, but didn’t find anything in this thread of value to a single live aboard sailor. How do all these philosophical arguments actually help a single sailor? Things like “the perfect port” where someone saw a sailing school and there were women interested in learning, or a yacht club with an amazing marina restaurant, a island in the Philippines where people travel from island to island, offshore dates, success in big city marinas...though I could of missed that discussion through 100 pages
Your future boat is just a home. However you act at home is how you will live on a boat. No magic just because you're floating. The OP was/is hoping changing his home would help his love life. Where he lives is not the problem nor the solution.

I love living alone, dirt or water. I have a lot of friends, but prefer my own company for the majority of my time. Lonely people, hoping that buying a boat and moving somewhere with lots of the opposite sex around means happiness, will be disappointed.

There are lots of threads on single handed sailing, but that's a whole 'nuther ball of wax.

Nice to see there are still some single people involved in this thread.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 13:10   #1395

That was great!

Maybe a retired seamen would know a good port for that stuff, at least a good story or two ...I know it can get crazy on cruise ships, but think most people’s interests in that have nothing to do with the water or sailing. It’d be worth a shot though!
Boosted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, living aboard, men, single