Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2015, 15:55   #106

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

2hulls, you'll get a kick out of this. Dropped my wife at SFO so she can visit her parents in Beijing. While I was driving home I was thinking about this thread. On the radio comes the old Jackson Browne song with the lyrics..."don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy."

When you find the love of a good woman, sir, it will change you in ways you can not even understand yet. If you get lucky enough to experience that...nothing else matters.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 16:23   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
2hulls, you'll get a kick out of this. Dropped my wife at SFO so she can visit her parents in Beijing. While I was driving home I was thinking about this thread. On the radio comes the old Jackson Browne song with the lyrics..."don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy."

When you find the love of a good woman, sir, it will change you in ways you can not even understand yet. If you get lucky enough to experience that...nothing else matters.
Don't know about 2hulls, but sitting here in Kyoto with my Japanese wife I got a kick out of that.

Which subsequently brought Harry Nilsson's classic hit to my mind. Of course, I'm substituting the word "live" with "sail", but I digress:

"I can't sail..., if sailing is without you. I can't sail, I can't sail any more."

PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 16:46   #108

Boat: 1968 Sparkman and Stephens. '1 ton' 36 ft, Kauri
Send a message via Skype™ to Saltyrope
Thumbs up Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Dump the 50 foot albtross of a boat. You don't have enough funds, time or health to finish it, let alone sail it. Plus it sounds like your not really a sailor anyway. If you enjoyed sailing and harbor hopping, then I recommend buying a smaller boat, say a nice 36 foot anything. Ton's O women sailing with guys on 36-40 boats.

Don't see the panel truck working real well for you. Sure one night stands, but for a month or a year, your going to need something that shows a tad better.

Don't mess with the panel truck. Get a small used and clean class C RV for $20k and take it on the road. You'll be Waaaay head in the game with that, rather then a panel truck. You can get the first date with a panel truck, but not the third. No way, no how.

Heck, Buy a harley and take it on the road. Most women will think your a doctor or lawyer then.

The best way of find your partner in life is do what you love, and they will find you.

Alas most women who love boating are over 45-50. Very few 25-35 year old women what anything to do with boating or RV's. They have to get that whole married with children thingy out of their systems first.

45 to 50, what a great age to go off adventuring!
Saltyrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 16:55   #109

Boat: 1968 Sparkman and Stephens. '1 ton' 36 ft, Kauri
Send a message via Skype™ to Saltyrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post
90% sure there is going to be one HELL of a boat going up for sale soon with "make reasonable offers" type pricing.

It's navigable as a power boat, has a galley and crew berth. Needs the interior done.

If I could have found one of these for sale, I probably wouldn't be where I am right now, giving up. I'm too sick of the work.

I want to travel and then do some little homesteading/farming stuff as i get older. I want comfort.

I think I am done, but will sleep on it.
Where is your boat listed for sale. Or where is it to look at?
Saltyrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 16:58   #110

Boat: Catalina C-27-Venture of Newport 23'

Your welcome brother.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 17:00   #111

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

You're 40ish, make $200k and have one year to go before you complete a new 50' cat?

Crap, I have no advice for you. I'd just like to trade places.

But maybe this will help you gain some perspective:

Rob (62, poor and living on a 35' ferro with a busted engine)

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 17:23   #112
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

What comes to mind is:
At least you don't have. Mono!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 17:43   #113

Boat: Coronet Oceanfarer30

What makes me think most boaties are romantic at heart?
Almost looks like the opposite of the 1% rule !
99% men love boats, all the systems are intruiging and we enjoy the challenge but there is 1% that prefer to be hen pegged, bow under "the Admiral's wishes" insist on home comforts and mainly armchair boating while watching 'times of our lives' on TV..
As I always say there is no right or wrong. .each to own...live and let live..
To me my way is best those that don't like it dont have to stay.
Ironman162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 17:45   #114

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
You're not getting it.

The box truck is to allow me (just me), to go where my potential matches are and date them. Not to take them away in.

As far as picking up any dates, if required at all, I'd do what I do now. Rent a car.

The mobile apartment has absolutely zero impact on anyone's opinion as we first meet because nobody sees it.

I've never met any womnan who wasn't impressed with my former mobile apartment and it was tiny/ugly. Spent many weeks with various girls in their mid 20's over the past few years taking it to mountains, on 1000 mile road trips, into Canada, etc. All had a great time and wanted to continue. I had the damn boat to do though instead.

I'm not accepting closed minded women. Only open minded women who are up for adventure.

Exploring your state, for example, is something I've never done and would enjoy.

I can always drive a mobile apartment to the seashore. Taking a catamaran that takes up a few highway lanes in width to Colorado? Not gonna happen.
Well, you have finally answered your own question. You want out of the boating world, that is apparent. You are looking for happiness elsewhere. The bad news is you are not going to find it. If you can tell me what it is that will make you happy I will tell you that you will never be happy. Either you are happy or you are not. You can never have enough love, money, hotties, motorhomes, wives, on and on. I would bet a lot of money that if you sold your boat and carried out your plan that you will still be unsatisfied down the road. I am pretty sure you want to get rid of your boat. As for you issue with your bachelorhood, I don't have a clue as to what you want and I think you don't either. A lot of these post are giving you some pretty good advice on that issue.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 17:53   #115

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewPerry View Post
Listen to yourselves boys. The original post was bad enough but you all then came in with the most childish boystuff I have ever had the misfortune to read. I have signed on to this forum as I am learning and thought I might get some interesting and worthwhile information from experts. I am sure you are all "old salts", christ I am sure in your heads you get off on all that and that is the problem. Every time I read these threads all I hear is subtle/unsubtle ways of telling each other what great sailors/lovers/people/GODS you all are. But this one took the biscuit. The original question? was perhaps the most nauseating of all. I am gorgeous but I think my boat is getting in the way of my GODLIKE MACHO (although I am perhaps the world's greatest sailor). What do you think? Answer: Each of us thinks that we know better/are better at loving/sailing/living than you.

This is a basic summary of the advice on this blog but today it got a little too blatant. I am cancelling my connection. SNIPE ON YOU SAILING GODS.

Andrew, you don't have to read all the post or even comment on them. Every post on every forum is not always going to be interesting or relevant to anyone. Don't let the door hit you on your butt on the way out.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 18:40   #116

Boat: Marine Trader, Sun Deck 38'

Sounds like to me you got it going on, plenty of young chicks and a boat. If it floats, flies, or... well you know, its cheaper to rent it than own it. You aren't running out of time and not running out of lady's just sail the coarse and enjoy one day at a time....... Remember, the 10/15 year younger ladies will always be 10/15 years younger!
sailcay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 19:10   #117

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman162 View Post
What an interesting topic! It speaks to me and Im sure most men.
Im a single cruiser too and love the luxuries of life.
I too discovered the 1% rule mentioned above
ie1% of women love boats.. the other 99% view them as something to sip cocktails on in a calm sea anchored by a white beach fringed with palm trees.. then after sunset go home to the big bathroom and air conditioning.

But you know, I accept that. They come to visit, they go home when they are ready and life goes on.

It works for me as Im a loner and loving it! I do as I please and dont answer to anyone. Selfish? Maybe but thats how it is and they dont have to stay if they dont like it.

Each to his own, but I can't see myself giving up my boat for any other lifestyle.
I must have had more than my share , I've had three such women in my life; my three wives. Some of us are just too screwed up and are better off with being on our own.. I remember the myths that it was bad luck to a: begin a voyage on a Friday b. Paint hull green c.have a woman aboard. What happens in life is what happens. I've known men such as the OP describes himself. Only difference was; they built huge boats by sheer willpower, nothing stopped them. They were genetically Lotharios.
But they never boasted much less described their prowess. They were what they were. OP, I don't know who you are, but you sure started a ruckus. And,no, I don't care to drive over and meet you. You sound exhausting to know.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 19:24   #118

Why suffer the expense of a Box Truck or Winnebego, let alone a cat rebuild?

A Bufalino ultimate adventure trike is what you really need. If the hot Snap Chat / Instagram babe suddenly becomes crabby, shell out a few extra bills for the side-car option. Not sure if they have an aquatic version yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_inline_nu622z8Zuu1t1pjyy_1280.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	108546  
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 19:46   #119

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
I'm divorced.

I have a 50' corecell/epoxy catamaran that needs a year worth of work inside and another dump truck full of money, including several staterooms and a rig done. (quote for rig? $48,000) It's currently in power boat mode.

I've been having a lot of good luck lately meeting great, incredibly attractive younger women. However, as a generality, they are not interested in living with me on half finished boats, nor traveling or leaving their jobs/family.

These women were met online at first, then in real life. They are scattered throughout the usa, many of them inland.

They all have local lives and aren't ready to travel, nevermind on a boat that is still a construction project.

I'm getting older now and though I can still attract very, very attractive women, it's not going to be that way much longer. I'm in a window of opportunity looks/money wise to attract great ones right now. BUT... I'm wasting a fortune on my boat and have basically nowhere to host anyone still due to it being unlivable for females (i can tough it out just fine)

So... I'm seriously considering selling this boat as a project boat, converting a box truck and roaming the country to date/meet people. Later, with someone or when I feel like it, I could put the vehicle on a roro ship and send it to various countries, fly there and explore.

I have been on boats for my whole adult life, living aboard, making a living from them, etc.

Boats feel confining to me right now in that I can't get anywhere quickly or travel to most of the world (just to the harbors) with them.

I am stuck on the East Coast of the USA. I want to go to the west coast, the Midwest, to Europe, Asia. By the time I get this boat done and ready for ocean crossings, I'll be much older. I could get an rv done in a few months. It's just one room/bathroom and systems. The catamaran is huge. So many rooms. I have also developed an epoxy allergy helping the pro builders that built the boat, so I can hardly do the odds and ends without discomfort. I had planned to finish the interior myself.

I'd love to hire someone to do the interior, but couldn't afford much more than $15/hr take home for them.

What's a single guy to do?

Keep sacrificing my life to this boat, or get out and go live?

Why are there so many single guys on boats too? That's kind of disturbing to think I may end up as one of them (no offense, but I'm very into being with women... like it more than boats).

What should I do?
What you have here is best described as "one hot mess". Sell or give the boat away, get a Ford F350 with a lift kit and a big stereo....take a long ride down to Texas, get a hat and some boots! Buy some guns (girls love to shoot). Get a regular job...you'll get snapped up and signed up before you can say "thank you maam". Problem solved.

To all you regulars of CF, I'm pretty sure this post is a troll by either Weavis or Salty Monkey...It could be Boatman...he's been at the dock too long.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 19:57   #120

Great thread, love it !

Sell the boat dude.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, living aboard, men, single