Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2017, 02:45   #1111
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
When travelling alone, you are much more likely to meet, talk with, and visit with new people.

Interesting because we found the exact opposite while out cruising. Cruising families with kids was one of the biggest door openers we saw.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 03:42   #1112

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Why not expand this to include,

Single Women Onboard?

We don't want to have them feel left out.
Old 14-11-2017, 03:51   #1113

Boat: O'Day 28

Originally Posted by hamburking
When travelling alone, you are much more likely to meet, talk with, and visit with new people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Interesting because we found the exact opposite while out cruising. Cruising families with kids was one of the biggest door openers we saw.

Exactly. I wouldn't live alone on a boat if I were interested in meeting other people.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 07:28   #1114
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
The increased ability to focus on details,

The capacity to persevere in specific interests without being swayed by others' opinions,

The ability to work independently

The recognition of patterns that may be missed by others,

Intensity, and an original way of thinking.
You don't need to actually be on the spectrum, but it helps to at least be on speaking terms with it.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 08:23   #1115
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
You don't need to actually be on the spectrum, but it helps to at least be on speaking terms with it.
Yeah....I guess that was a bit vague...
...... It was a list of traits of someone with Asbergers.

My point being that we all have characteristics, that can be seen as positive or negative, depending on the context with which we are judged.

Single men (or women) are often judged as lacking , when in reality they are rich in freedoms and personal focus
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 08:28   #1116

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Yeah....I guess that was a bit vague...
...... It was a list of traits of someone with Asbergers.

My point being that we all have characteristics, that can be seen as positive or negative, depending on the context with which we are judged.

Single men (or women) are often judged as lacking , when in reality they are rich in freedoms and personal focus
Bravo, Pelagic; well stated on both points
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 09:27   #1117

Ha, ha, this Deep Look video from KQED (best subscription ever!) made me think of you guys: https://youtu.be/NHf47gI8w04.

Are you feeling lucky tonight....
Old 14-11-2017, 13:07   #1118
CF Adviser

Gives a whole new meaning to giving "head"
Old 14-11-2017, 14:32   #1119

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I find it a little disturbing when a woman thinks it's amusing to repay "la petite mort" with real mort. Not the sort of fantasy I would want a mate to embrace.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 18:16   #1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I find it a little disturbing when a woman thinks it's amusing to repay "la petite mort" with real mort. Not the sort of fantasy I would want a mate to embrace.

Greg
Aw, Greg. Now where's your sense of living on the edge?
Old 16-11-2017, 21:03   #1121
CF Adviser

Since this crazy thread has been all about an "honest look", can we take a look at all the sexual harrasment publicity in the media lately and ask....

...... 'should we temper all this righteous indignation with a bit of practical common sense, an understanding of the underlying sexual tensions between men and women?
..... And In the case of an isolated abuse of power used for sexual advantage.....years ago.....a little bit of forgiveness?

I'm not talking about forgiving the pedophile, rapist or chronic harraser like Cosby or Weinstein, but the person, (man or woman), who years ago, used their power or attraction, even subconsciously, to cause the other party to feel "forced" to play sexual games with them.

I think its great that the media has brought this to the forefront and empowered anyone presently compromised to speak out, but do we risk a kind of Sexual McCarthyism, by dredging up every sexual stupidity a young and horny person did 20-30 years ago ?

It also pertains to the close quarters in yachting and some of the crew stories we've heard.

Wrong messages, innocent flirting turned to unwanted touches after a few drinks that created anger and resentment many years ago.....now the revelation of the day.

What is the Statute of Limitations on a stupid horny power player?
Old 16-11-2017, 21:48   #1122
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Originally Posted by hamburking
Exactly. I wouldn't live alone on a boat if I were interested in meeting other people.
For you older guys, living alone. A big boat allows room for a house keeper/cook. When she leaves, you still have your home, all your possessions, and no alimony or child support. Your biggest problem is a new cook.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 22:01   #1123

Puhleaze, Pelagic. Your post is a "boys will be boys" excuse. Mostly, these are people in power (women can be harassers, too) who honestly believed they could take advantage of certain people/children with impunity. It seems to have taken over the news right now, but it's not new; it just wasn't really talked about as much when these things happened in the past. This article describes how Weinstein got away with it for so long, but the situation is likely similar for the other cases: https://www.npr.org/2017/11/15/56431...einstein-story.

Serious thread drift though...if crew can't keep their hands off another, they need to be put ashore or keel hauled.
Old 16-11-2017, 22:45   #1124

Boat: Various

Quote:
Since this crazy thread has been all about an "honest look", can we take a look at all the sexual harrasment publicity in the media lately and ask....

...... 'should we temper all this righteous indignation with a bit of practical common sense, an understanding of the underlying sexual tensions between men and women?
..... And In the case of an isolated abuse of power used for sexual advantage.....years ago.....a little bit of forgiveness?

I'm not talking about forgiving the pedophile, rapist or chronic harraser like Cosby or Weinstein, but the person, (man or woman), who years ago, used their power or attraction, even subconsciously, to cause the other party to feel "forced" to play sexual games with them.

I think its great that the media has brought this to the forefront and empowered anyone presently compromised to speak out, but do we risk a kind of Sexual McCarthyism, by dredging up every sexual stupidity a young and horny person did 20-30 years ago ?

It also pertains to the close quarters in yachting and some of the crew stories we've heard.

Wrong messages, innocent flirting turned to unwanted touches after a few drinks that created anger and resentment many years ago.....now the revelation of the day.

What is the Statute of Limitations on a stupid horny power player?
Wifey B: I think we've been blindly turning our backs so long, ignoring the Hollywood and Washington power players, ignoring the NY Real Estate Moguls who abused their power, ignoring the small town politician in the South who was known by everyone to be an abuser of his power.

That said, I do believe you're right that we need to be careful how far we go. The reason we may go too far is that the abused hasn't felt they could report the abuser and has felt powerless.

In a normal environment, and I'm speaking after reviewing our corporate policies, it's made clear sexual harassment will not be tolerated and made clear that someone harassed can go to HR or a level up without fear of reprisal. With that system in place and functioning then your chances of harassment and abuse are dramatically reduced. That's not the environment of much of the country and world, however.

The casting couch has long been a Hollywood tradition. It's time to rip Hollywood apart and to shreds. However, there are more than enough prime targets and to lump in someone who may have crossed the line one time, but nothing happened defeats the entire effort.

A lot of women who call themselves feminists have done a lousy job of showing it by failing to stand up for their rights. They are still the victims and this doesn't excuse the abuse, but we need women to stand up and we need men to do something when they become aware of abuse.

The line I've seen blurred to is the actual action. Harassment includes anything that makes the workplace uncomfortable. However, you can't give the same punishment for telling a dirty joke that you do for rape through power, coercing someone to have sex in fear of their career.

We risk falling victim to the Ray Rice syndrome. Ray Rice beat a woman. He denied it. Videos proved he did so. The NFL was embarrassed. But how does that give the NFL the right to suspend Ezekial Elliott who the prosecutors refused to prosecute, whose accuser was proven to be a liar, who has witnesses on his side and for whom there is absolutely no evidence other than her statements. I personally think Zeke has been a cad and a jerk but he openly admitted to a lot of that including drug use and his gf's abortion. He didn't admit ever to physical abuse but the NFL made a point. What kind of point you make by convicting a man who may be innocent, I don't know.

So we can't fall victim to the Weinstein syndrome. Not sure why no one reacted to the Cosby situation with similar outrage. Perhaps because many thought Cosby was better than he was and everyone thought Weinstein was a jerk. Perhaps also that Cosby's wasn't well known and Weinstein was known by dozens if not hundreds of people.

Every situation is different and we must look carefully at the facts. If someone put their hand on the leg of a female sitting beside them that is not the same as forcing many women to have sex with you. If a 30 year old man dated an 18 year old that is not the same as a 30 year old man having sex with a 16 year old.

Groping is wrong but it's not rape. If we start treating it all the same, then we diminish the seriousness of the severe. Also, groping is not legally sexual harassment unless there was some position of power or authority or it was in the workplace. If we're sitting in a bar and you grope me, you'll find yourself being picked up off the floor and perhaps guilty of a misdemeanor, but that's the appropriate punishment.

The abuse of power of men over women for sex is horrendous and it's about time it's being publicized and condemned. Those who knew and did nothing should also be. Companies like Weinstein should be sued into liquidation and shut down. For a board to authorize payments for sexual harassment or condone them in any way makes them all unfit. For other actors to know and do nothing makes them into thoughtless trash.

There are other problems. We've seen the teacher student relationships. That's hideous in every way. We know there are males and females who have sex with minors who are much younger than them and that's something that should always be prosecuted. However, we've also turned a blind eye there. Look at how many underage kids have been married. Every state has established minimum age for marriage as 18. Yet, there are tons of exceptions, so hundreds, even thousands, of teens 13-16 years old get married allowing their spouse to avoid statutory rape charges. We need to reexamine age of consent laws. Why is age of consent 18 in Florida, 17 in Illinois, 16 in Alabama, and lower ages where ages are closer. Why is it 18 in the US, 16 in the UK, 14 in Brazil, 13 in Japan and 11 in Nigeria? And if it's illegal to have sex if you're under 18, why is it legal to pose for a sexy advertisement at any age?

I read an article today saying "There's a Massive Moral Vacuum in the Country Right Now." Duh, what's new. Now, do we want to fix that at least in the workplace? I sure hope so. We elect known sexual harassers and abusers. Then we're shocked? Did you read how much congress persons have paid in suits while in office? How many millions? Oh, but it's manly. BS. It's childish and pathetic. But don't stop with sex, include the hatred and bigotry being expressed daily by those in power and others. We're not a pretty people right now and humanity as seen in this country is disgusting way too often.

We each must take our responsibilities very personally. If you are aware of sexual harassment in the workplace and don't report it, then you're just as morally bankrupt as the offender. Maybe even more so because he may think it's ok while you know it's not. If you're in a group and someone is spouting hatred and bigotry and you say nothing then you're condoning it, whether you want to admit it or not. If someone makes fun of a fat person and you stand idly by or of someone with a handicap and you do nothing, how are you any better than the person doing it?

Time to fight. However, time to pick the right battles. Let's start with the clearly morally bankrupt first. Let's make sure those widely known as offenders become widely castigated. Then let's proceed to deal with the borderline offenses and make the statements clear that the line is clear. Forcing anyone to do anything against their will is wrong. It's that simple. Unfortunately, there are many who think that's one of the spoils of power. Unfortunately, these are the most powerful. Athletes, Elected Officials. Wealthy. Hollywood Tycoons. Next time you cheer the athlete with 11 kids by 9 women, think about it. Next time you watch a powerful old man in a movie take advantage of a poor young girl, think about it. And if you're aware of abuse and do nothing, think about how you feel about yourself.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 22:59   #1125

Boat: Various

Wifey B: Adding one thing. We believe in whatever two consenting adults, not in a work relationship, not with one in a position of power over the other, both of legal age, to be fine. Two or more adults, any combination of sexes. If you're not hurting others, then fine. We're very liberal in our sexual views. However, we're very strict in our views on violence and abuse of power and rape is violence at it's worse as is sex forced by someone in a position of power. That's not sex. That's power and violence.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, living aboard, men, single