Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2017, 08:12   #751
Registered User
 
gamayun's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oakland, CA
Boat: Freedom 38
Posts: 2,331
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Let me throw another perspective in as to why some guys tend to only find women who expect to be supported....the fully independent types don't need you and you'd have to work hard to get them (if you can find them). As Dale says above, it's easier to do your own thing and avoid the emotional drama.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 08:25   #752
Registered User
 
Olddan1943's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Aventura, FL
Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116
Posts: 655
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Let me throw another perspective in as to why some guys tend to only find women who expect to be supported....the fully independent types don't need you and you'd have to work hard to get them (if you can find them). As Dale says above, it's easier to do your own thing and avoid the emotional drama.
She is giving up everything to be with her man. I find no fault supporting her. Within reason. I wont buy her a car or a new house or or or
__________________
And you folks thought I knew what I was talking about.
I do believe my intuitive gene has died.
Olddan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 08:33   #753
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2017
Boat: Retired from CF
Posts: 13,304
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Or just accept paying for it all, find the balance between how much you have / can make and reasonable demands.

Sometimes straight transactional arrangements can work out just fine, and nice thing is, either party can cut loose when things start to go south.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 09:05   #754
Registered User
 
Olddan1943's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Aventura, FL
Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116
Posts: 655
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Or just accept paying for it all, find the balance between how much you have / can make and reasonable demands.

Sometimes straight transactional arrangements can work out just fine, and nice thing is, either party can cut loose when things start to go south.
Pray tell, how much will you pay her? 10K, 20K, 30K, how about a nice round figure of 75K ??? EH?
You might very well offend her, emotionally. She will give you her all and you want to put a price on it? Good luck.
How much does love and devotion sell for these days?
__________________
And you folks thought I knew what I was talking about.
I do believe my intuitive gene has died.
Olddan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 10:18   #755
Registered User
 
daletournier's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Boat: Catalina 470
Posts: 4,758
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Let me throw another perspective in as to why some guys tend to only find women who expect to be supported....the fully independent types don't need you and you'd have to work hard to get them (if you can find them). As Dale says above, it's easier to do your own thing and avoid the emotional drama.
I think theres some truth to that. But sometimes you get an independent woman that loses her independence by coming with you, particularly if she cant finance her life without working.

If the lady has little or no money a dynamic is created where the man has the power even if thats not what he wants. No one likes asking another for money, its disempowering and resentment often builds, the person that is supplying the money feels this and thinks "you ungrateful.......", the relationship cancer sets in.

Us humans are complicated.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 10:22   #756
Registered User
 
Olddan1943's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Aventura, FL
Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116
Posts: 655
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I think theres some truth to that. But sometimes you get an independent woman that loses her independence by coming with you, particularly if she cant finance her life without working.

If the lady has little or no money a dynamic is created where the man has the power even if thats not what he wants. No one likes asking another for money, its disempowering and resentment often builds, the person that is supplying the money feels this and thinks "you ungrateful.......", the relationship cancer sets in.

Us humans are complicated.
A monthly allowance? Now, how much.
__________________
And you folks thought I knew what I was talking about.
I do believe my intuitive gene has died.
Olddan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 10:33   #757
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2017
Boat: Retired from CF
Posts: 13,304
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

I find it strange you keep asking that. How long is a piece of string?

Surely it would be up to the adults involved to come to an agreement. . .

And of course "love" however you want to define it needn't come into the picture at all, but if it ever does, that has little to do with the practical arrangements.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 10:38   #758
Registered User
 
Olddan1943's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Aventura, FL
Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116
Posts: 655
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I find it strange you keep asking that. How long is a piece of string?

Surely it would be up to the adults involved to come to an agreement. . .

And of course "love" however you want to define it needn't come into the picture at all, but if it ever does, that has little to do with the practical arrangements.
Yup, but if one is going to support a woman without question, there has to be a discussion at some point.

My 'lovely' stepmother, aka 'the wicked witch of the west', 'milked' my father like a dairy cow. Solutions? He outlived her.
__________________
And you folks thought I knew what I was talking about.
I do believe my intuitive gene has died.
Olddan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 10:51   #759
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2017
Boat: Retired from CF
Posts: 13,304
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
Yup, but if one is going to support a woman without question, there has to be a discussion at some point.

My 'lovely' stepmother, aka 'the wicked witch of the west', 'milked' my father like a dairy cow. Solutions? He outlived her.
All of which is the opposite what I'm talking about. Yes of course in a purely transactional relationship all the cards are showing on the table, the deal's full details made explicit up front.

And any role can be played by any gender.

I was just saying, to the extent actual cash is involved, the amounts involved will depend on the context and people involved in that place and at that moment, and can't be generalized.

Especially if/when both parties have a lot to offer on a barter basis, money may end up being a very small fraction of the value exchanged.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 10:53   #760
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 5,170
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Let me throw another perspective in as to why some guys tend to only find women who expect to be supported....the fully independent types don't need you and you'd have to work hard to get them (if you can find them). As Dale says above, it's easier to do your own thing and avoid the emotional drama.
Exactly! After a couple of times getting snookered into believing a woman is truly independent only to find out she is not, a guy's complaints go from explanation to excuse! And I like the concept of "need" vs. "want." I think a lot of both men & women are emotionally needy themselves and also have a need to be "needed" by their partners. Whereas others' basic desire is to be "wanted." Perhaps never the two shall meet?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 11:25   #761
CF Adviser
 
Pelagic's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Posts: 9,535
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Sounds like some cheap trick to me
https://youtu.be/BJs_L7yq5qE
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 11:28   #762
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 5,170
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
She is giving up everything to be with her man. I find no fault supporting her. Within reason. I wont buy her a car or a new house or or or
I would find no fault supporting her either if that were the only practical way to make it work, but what exactly is she giving up? Presumably if she's making a conscious decision to leave a previous life behind and live/sail/travel with her significant other on a boat, then she has concluded that whatever trade-offs are involved favor life on the boat (rent/mtg free I should add). Different story, obviously, if she has no assets and her only source of income was a job she left behind. But after signing up for this type of scenario on land for far too long, only to continually hear why my house/budget/dog/etc. was inadequate to meet her needs, I'm not buying the oft-heard notion that it's the woman who generally makes the sacrifices.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 11:31   #763
Registered User
 
uncle stinkybob's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 683
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

I got a dog, no problems in the relationship so far.........
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 11:37   #764
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 5,170
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I think theres some truth to that. But sometimes you get an independent woman that loses her independence by coming with you, particularly if she cant finance her life without working.

If the lady has little or no money a dynamic is created where the man has the power even if thats not what he wants. No one likes asking another for money, its disempowering and resentment often builds, the person that is supplying the money feels this and thinks "you ungrateful.......", the relationship cancer sets in.

Us humans are complicated.
Very true, but unfixable by one party alone. You could set her up with her own account, give her a credit card, or otherwise equalize the imbalance as much as is practicable, but if she feels less powerful over it then it's her deal.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 11:40   #765
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 5,170
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Sounds like some cheap trick to me
https://youtu.be/BJs_L7yq5qE
You mean my need vs. want shpeel as in the lyrics, or John61's transactional suggestion as in the name of the band?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruising, living aboard, men, single

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All about the Colregs no 3 - single handed sailing and keeping a look out Rustic Charm Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 401 23-02-2021 11:49
Make a Living, Living Aboard JanetGroene Boat Ownership & Making a Living 0 19-11-2010 12:28

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:40.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.