Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2016, 14:17   #541
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
About half of all marriages end in divorce, the rest end in death.
As for love at first sight; not buying it. Sometimes you see someone that has features you like, and the proper pheromones to attract, but it takes years to fall in love. First she has to stop listening to pop music.....
Sometimes an early death if she manages to work you into an early grave or nags you to death. I'm lucky. I learned the first time. Never remarried in 30 years, but whose counting?
A few years ago there was a survey that asked American married women to describe their feelings toward their husband in one word. Over 50% chose the word dispise. Nice to know what they're not telling you.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 14:44   #542

Boat: a sailing boat

All my loves were at first sight: my girl, our boat, tropical blue waters. I am still in faithful love with them.

So how can anyone say 'there is no such thing'?

That it has not happened to you does not mean it does not exist.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 16:40   #543
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i fell in love at first sight with the beautiful eleanor, a clinton crane designed 36ft gaff rigged raceabout, owned by cousins and currently under restoration.
i also fell in love at first sight of these clipper bow ketches, back when i was a kid-- before formosa even thought of building boats.
ok so how did they work out?/i am still with my clipper bow ketch, and eleanor is being restored. still in family.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 16:52   #544

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

As Captain of a popular 3 hr charter cruise I was often called upon to perform marriages. Had to explain it would expire at the voyage end. No problem when it's love at first sight. Zeehag, good on yu for speaking out. Honesty up front is such a bonus for new relationships. I meet so many new older couples in my travels It goes to show love/companionship/lust is still as tangled as it ever was .May not be as cheap as drugs but what a rush
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 17:35   #545

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSeaWolf View Post
Agreed.... on the years and the pop music.

Lately I've added political affiliation to my screening tools - for obvious reasons

Who even had political affiliation with this crazy bunch of politicians?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 17:38   #546

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
All my loves were at first sight: my girl, our boat, tropical blue waters. I am still in faithful love with them.

So how can anyone say 'there is no such thing'?

That it has not happened to you does not mean it does not exist.

b.

There is hope.
Maybe it was the man that I didn't believe.

Old 22-09-2016, 17:54   #547

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSeaWolf View Post
Agreed.... on the years and the pop music.

Lately I've added political affiliation to my screening tools - for obvious reasons

Good call. Throw religious views in there as well.

Sent from my XT1058 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 19:44   #548

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Love..it's such a loaded word implying some magical connection that transcends our own humanity.
There is a bizarre notion many have of "unconditional love" where in one loves absolutely and without reservation "until death do you part", but when the violins fail to play someone declares "it must have been infatuation or lust".
But the truth, according to me, is that liking a person ultimately carries more weight and will keep a couple together much longer than "love".
How many time have you heard "I loved her / him but...."
What follows the "but" is usually a litany of blame that has no place in "love". What really should come after "but" is "I just didn't like him / hèr". Perhaps you liked the person in a vague way that suggests they were not offensive. But the real evidence is that you really did not enjoy much about them, therefore, you really did not like them all that much.
Are you having fun with your boyfriend, girlfriend, spouse? If not then you don't really like them.
Love grows but only if you start with liking the person enough to be respectful and have fun together.
Old 22-09-2016, 20:14   #549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Love..it's such a loaded word implying some magical connection that transcends our own humanity.

There is a bizarre notion many have of "unconditional love" where in one loves absolutely and without reservation "until death do you part", but when the violins fail to play someone declares "it must have been infatuation or lust".

But the truth, according to me, is that liking a person ultimately carries more weight and will keep a couple together much longer than "love".

How many time have you heard "I loved her / him but...."

What follows the "but" is usually a litany of blame that has no place in "love". What really should come after "but" is "I just didn't like him / hèr". Perhaps you liked the person in a vague way that suggests they were not offensive. But the real evidence is that you really did not enjoy much about them, therefore, you really did not like them all that much.

Are you having fun with your boyfriend, girlfriend, spouse? If not then you don't really like them.

Love grows but only if you start with liking the person enough to be respectful and have fun together.

Your right on it with respect. I have no respect with the man that says Love at first sight after 30 minutes and cannot give you any reason why.
Its not the same as lets have a drink and see if we like each other.

It becomes more of a problem when you don't even know their status, available?

Old 23-09-2016, 04:37   #550

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Sure I believe in love at first sight, that's why I've been divorced 3 times.... These days I'm holding out for something a little less dramatic and immature, a little more realistic.
We all know that "nature" is playing tricks on all of us for one purpose only: Survival of our species ! I remember a funny question asked to a group of women: "Would you rather be the only wife of Mr Nobody or wife #2 of Georges Cloony (Assuming that he has moved to Saudit Arabia) ?" I don't remember the answers but I'm convinced that many would have chosen wife#2... at least for some time Also "Researchers at the University of Siena in Italy took 38 men with lack of interest in sex and split them into two groups. One group was hit with 10,000 lux of white fluorescent light with an ultraviolet filter for 30 minutes upon waking up, the other with placebo light. After two weeks, the men under bright light treatment reported three times more sexual satisfaction—ranking it a six out 10—largely due to a measurable increase in testosterone after treatment. The placebo group saw little change."... PS: Don't forget your suntan lotion if you fall asleep on your fore-deck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea_Sex&Sun.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	131602  
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 04:52   #551

Alain97133, I know you didn't intend your post this way, but the quote said the men were more sexual satisfied, not that they were getting more sex. I'm guessing starting from "disinterested in sex" to " more sexual satisfied" is a short hop.
Old 23-09-2016, 08:02   #552

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
"10 people a year are killed by sharks.100 people a year are killed by cows: Fear the real killer!"
I love your quote ! But does it include bulls ? PS: I'm not against corridas, I just want to upgrade them to "fair" rules i.e. 'till you get -at the end of a year- as many toreadors killed as bulls
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aouch.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	131609  
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 10:47   #553

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
I love your quote ! But does it include bulls ? PS: I'm not against corridas, I just want to upgrade them to "fair" rules i.e. 'till you get -at the end of a year- as many toreadors killed as bulls
Ah... the age old debate; if 'cow' is the species, are there cow cows and bull cows?

goat (billy)
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 11:34   #554

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
I love the picture : )

I work for a dairy. I found the quote on the net. I'm pretty sure I miss-quoted too!
The quote is a bit of a tongue in check joke.

The female cow is a docile, shy creature. Milk cows aRe especially shy and silly, but loyal to their particular handler. If she prefers to be milked by Jana, she will wait until Jana comes to work! I kid you not! It's not really common but we'll known behavior. The girls even will ride the milking carousel just for fun! They are funny creatures! By the by the newborn calves will imprint on anyone.

Any death by domestic bovine can be attributed to rodeo, bull fighting, and simple accident. Alas, there are far more beef cattle in the feed lots than people, so trampling is not unheard of. But think of it this way, people are more likely to be around land animals and to do so in great quantity and frequency. Cows will kill more people than sharks just because people are around cows much more often!
Old 23-09-2016, 12:11   #555
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Ah... the age old debate; if 'cow' is the species, are there cow cows and bull cows?

goat (billy)

There is a rather disturbing child's comedy that has a Bull with an udder, sort of a Male cow I guess.

Just looked it up, his name is Otis, he is described as a Male Holstein dairy cow with an udder, Nickelodeon, series is At the Barnyard.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, living aboard, men, single