Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2018, 09:38   #2251

Boat: Tartan 3000
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

However you view it fewer men are opting to marry
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:46   #2252

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Florida View Post
However you view it fewer men are opting to marry
why marry? Nowerdays we lease everything... [emoji1]
Old 06-07-2018, 09:54   #2253

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

I am upfront about it. NO marriage. I am no good at it and she is free to leave whenever she wishes. Plus I am too old to consider marriage. Divorces are way too expensive. Yes, I do have a prenup so she cannot claim anything in my estate. So I guess her primary responsibility is to keep me alive because while I am alive I will take care of her, within reason. I would hope we would establish a loving relationship.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:02   #2254
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I don't mind dying long as I go happy 8-)
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:23   #2255

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I don't mind dying long as I go happy 8-)
Smiling as you are shot by a jealous husband and you are guilty too?
Old 06-07-2018, 10:45   #2256

Boat: Still looking

This thread keeps showing up on my email...too funny. So, I'll chime in again.

Sad to hear women take off in search of a better life on land or with someone else who, in their mind, can provide financial security and material wealth. The grass is never greener on the other side. Theyll be back only to continue the circle of forever never satisfied.

I envy the women who share their lives with the men they have simialr interests with, hence living aboard and traveling the oceans. My chances are slim as far as snagging a man seeking a young hot woman who wants to travel the world. I'm not young and I have dreads....that's two strikes already. Lol.
Carat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:17   #2257
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Dreads are fine.. so is not young.. and roller skating means your likely fit..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:14   #2258

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Carat, who doesn’t have fears? I think it all boils down to if two people are willing to throw their lives together and that their personalities fit. “My way or the highway” mentality is the surest way to early exits. Why is it so hard to live peacefully with one another? How hard is it to say a kind word? Compromise is a given.... yet so many people can not do it. Tolerance of different points of view and cultural differences... seen it destroy hundreds of relationships. It ain’t easy to keep two lives together.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 13:03   #2259

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
The claws bit is over the top IMO.

There is nothing wrong with an attractive lady seeking to trade her pleasant company and time in exchange for financial security.

As long as there is no coercion or deception involved from either party, cards are laid on the table and a deal struck considered fair by all concerned.

May be short-term, may be UDDUP, it is up to each of us to be honest and fair.

I know plenty of older guys who rely on dangling their golden carrot to trick poorer women into sticking around, without ever making their "no strings attached, no eventual jackpot" conditions explicit.

Sometimes cheating the girls out of their best years and leaving them on their own once they realize they've been scammed. Sometimes even with a baby and little means to support it, dad deadbeats off over the horizon.

Not saying that's you, but the "claws" of the males of the species can be just as sharp.
Some good points about it being a two-way street and males often being equally culpable, but unless it's straight up prostitution, I'm not sure how . . .

"an attractive lady seeking to trade her pleasant company and time in exchange for financial security" . . .

can ever not involve a certain level of . . .

"deception involved from either party . . . ."

In other words, and in a normal relationship scenario, why is trading good looks & company for financial support a reasonable or healthy exchange? Shouldn't the financial support part be more along the lines of a "bonus" in a relationship where two people want to be together regardless?

And how is "cheating the girls out of their best years and leaving them on their own once they realize they've been scammed" compatible with modern notions of feminism and women being independent from men? If there's a baby involved then yes, of course. But otherwise, wouldn't the woman be responsible for her own decision to stay with a guy "through her best years" (whatever that means), and make sure she had her own financial wherewithal so she could avoid getting "scammed?"
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 14:16   #2260

WARNING, WARNING I am not hot and sexy.
I have bravely posted my real picture in my public profile.
Old 06-07-2018, 14:18   #2261
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
unless it's straight up prostitution, I'm not sure how . . .
I have met literally thousands of very strong feminists around the world (through my first wife) who are very strident in their demand for sex worker's rights.

The denigration and persecution of prostitution is part and parcel of patriarchal oppression of sexuality and women in particular.

Just as with consumption of drugs, its social harm is the result of its criminalization.

Obviously there is a grey scale continuity through more socially acceptable forms like "being a kept woman" and "marrying for money", but IMO each of us should be able to choose how we want to get on in the world without others casting judgment.

>> As long as there is no coercion or deception involved from either party, cards are laid on the table and a deal struck considered fair by all concerned.

>> May be short-term, may be UDDUP, it is up to each of us to be honest and fair.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 15:17   #2262
cruiser

Boat: Living the dream - New Gunboat 55

Quote:
The claws bit is over the top IMO.
There is nothing wrong with an attractive lady seeking to trade her pleasant company and time in exchange for financial security.

As long as there is no coercion or deception involved from either party, cards are laid on the table and a deal struck considered fair by all concerned.

May be short-term, may be UDDUP, it is up to each of us to be honest and fair.

I know plenty of older guys who rely on dangling their golden carrot to trick poorer women into sticking around, without ever making their "no strings attached, no eventual jackpot" conditions explicit.

Sometimes cheating the girls out of their best years and leaving them on their own once they realize they've been scammed. Sometimes even with a baby and little means to support it, dad deadbeats off over the horizon.

Not saying that's you, but the "claws" of the males of the species can be just as sharp.
Please forgive me for not being able to reply any sooner I was ashore doing laundry and other earrands.

I chose the word "Claws" carefully because I have had more than one Lady attempt to sink them into me, claiming paternity for a pregnancy (not possible for me) and even one Lady clamed she was my common law wife. I was forced to spend time and money fighting all of these cases and I was victorious in every case.

So if my choice of words offends you please understand that far too many women see a man of wealth as an easy mark.
TigerPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 15:39   #2263
cruiser

Boat: Living the dream - New Gunboat 55

Keeping with the nautical theme and fulltime liveaboard crusing, I have met a few Ladies who enjoy the lifestyle but they are few and far between. To be brutally honest most of the women in their early 40's and on have not taken care of themselves, excessive drinking, poor lifestyle choices, many are running away from their problems/issues and I will not even talk to a Lady that smokes or is overweight.

Those are my choices YMMV but this is my boat and I pay for everything, so it is my way or she is welcome to leave. Now before I am jumped upon for this when I say that I pay for everything I do just that, when a Lady joins me aboard SeaQuest OE I pay for food, clothing, dinner out, drinks and when she wants to go I purchase her an airline ticket to any major airport. I expect very little from a Lady, no more than I would expect from any guest aboard my vessel.
TigerPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 20:57   #2264
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:

>> As long as there is no coercion or deception involved from either party, cards are laid on the table and a deal struck considered fair by all concerned.

>> May be short-term, may be UDDUP, it is up to each of us to be honest and fair.
John, are you trying to convince us that there is no deception in the amorous actions of a sex worker trying to hook a trick? [emoji56]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 21:52   #2265

I think I may have thrown this out there before but there is a good quote on relationships that kind of sums it up for many of us and it goes for both sexes.
"Finding a mate is like trying to find a parking spot in the maul, The good spots are taken and what's left are the Handicap spots or they are way out there."
And I think it sums it up.
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, living aboard, men, single