Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2018, 22:05   #2056
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,038
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Yah cant faze the big guy... Its a fine line between keeping the rules from the mods and the CF boys and girls. Ive put my neck on the line for youz all already so throw in boating related stuph and move away from the deep introspective posts that make my sacrifice worthless will yah?



I was serious about the diesel smell... In this day and age we should be able to have an older but tight diesel engine and contained smells..... but one leak somewhere and its a major cleanup.



bummer.
I realize diesel fuel is way off-topic in this thread, but I'm quite interested in this. I once saw the aftermath of a gasoline fume explosion in a wakeboard boat. Let me just say it was horrifying. Apparently the owner started the inboard engine after forgetting to run the engine compartment fan for a while. Every time I smell diesel, I remember that scene. I'll take the diesel fumes any day. Just TRY to explode those fumes.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 22:41   #2057
Registered User
 
gamayun's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oakland, CA
Boat: Freedom 38
Posts: 2,331
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

OK, big peace sign to Cyan and Pelagic. If you feel me digging in, it's just because I'm half French and I love the passionate side of any argument (not the hard feelings side). So, really, it's all in good jest. This thread has never (really, never) made me mad or upset. I have rolled my eyes quite a bit, but that's different.

Fuentes, I lose my tools all the time right after I had just set them down. Has taken me 30 minutes sometimes to find them again within a 5-foot-square area. One time I lost my phone on the boat a whole day. How does one call oneself? Finally found it buried under a rug I had moved around. I must say....those roll up tool pouches are the best thing since sliced bread. Still doesn't prevent me from losing the tool as soon as I pull it out of its pouch. That's the whole other problem.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 22:45   #2058
CF Adviser
 
Pelagic's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Posts: 9,535
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Same hear Cyan..... I have a mechanic friend with a fast ski boat in Puerto Galera, professionally built with a large 8 cylinder inboard gasoline engine.

The boat was tied up at the floating bar while we had lunch with a bunch of girls.

Coming back and then going to run around to the yacht club just as I sat on the engine cover I said, "I smell gas"
Too late, All I remember was being blown off the boat along with the engine cover.
I was lucky, quite a few who were in seats got nasty burns.

He had just replaced a fuel/water sensor which failed internally.

Give me diesel any day!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 23:42   #2059
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,038
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Same hear Cyan..... I have a mechanic friend with a fast ski boat in Puerto Galera, professionally built with a large 8 cylinder inboard gasoline engine.

The boat was tied up at the floating bar while we had lunch with a bunch of girls.

Coming back and then going to run around to the yacht club just as I sat on the engine cover I said, "I smell gas"
Too late, All I remember was being blown off the boat along with the engine cover.
I was lucky, quite a few who were in seats got nasty burns.

He had just replaced a fuel/water sensor which failed internally.

Give me diesel any day!
Holy guacamole, Pelagic!!
Glad you came out alive!
Diesel it is.

Now if only I can solve that pat-pat-pat noise problem. I'm one of those sailors who religiously avoids the engine, and then I hang my head in defeat when I use it outside of the marina. Alas, the ITCZ can be beautiful, but not for weeks at a time.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 00:15   #2060
Registered User
 
daletournier's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Boat: Catalina 470
Posts: 4,758
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Ouch, Cyan, dude. Are you sure she's so miserable and needs a full-time mate and would go back to her meek, mild self if she could just to get a guy? Seriously, I don't want to beat a dead horse here and get a repeat of the last 1500 posts, but there's something to be said about meeting men and dating on one's own terms, and not compromising oneself. Of course, I can easily argue a bit against myself by saying that "balance" is a trait that's often missing from many successful people's lives, and the lack of it can lead to much misery, too.
Few obtain success via balance. No Olympic gold medal was ever won by the athlete being "balanced", he/she was obsessively determined and it comes at a cost.

This applies to business as well. I know for myself business changed me or I changed in order to become "successful", this is not owned by just one gender,and it's neither good or bad, it just is.

There's always a cost, move ahead if your willing to pay the cost, don't if your not, unfortunately most don't realise they will pay a cost.

Someone mentioned passion earlier. I agree that many women want a passionate man but that also comes with a cost. A man that is successful and wants to sail around the world is generally not the same as the guy that mows his lawn every Saturday.

Women want the passionate guy but often find it easier having the domesticated version.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 00:25   #2061
Registered User
 
gamayun's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oakland, CA
Boat: Freedom 38
Posts: 2,331
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
SOME Women want the passionate guy but often find it easier having the domesticated version.
Not you, too, Dale! You were just about to blunder right back into that mess, but now you'll thank me for fixing it before Weavis whips us all with big wet noodles
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 00:32   #2062
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,038
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Not you, too, Dale! You were just about to blunder right back into that mess, but now you'll thank me for fixing it before Weavis whips us all with big wet noodles
Wet noodles?
Ramen on the night watch!
The bomb.
Not the instant kind. Buy the noodles, but gotta make the broth yourself, using bones. Mmmm. Won't sail far without broth.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 00:42   #2063
Registered User
 
daletournier's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Boat: Catalina 470
Posts: 4,758
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Not you, too, Dale! You were just about to blunder right back into that mess, but now you'll thank me for fixing it before Weavis whips us all with big wet noodles
Lol... Thanks, saved me.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 00:50   #2064
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: UK-Mallorca
Posts: 13,278
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Consider yourselves all whipped with al dente noodles....
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 01:42   #2065
Registered User
 
wolfgal's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Boat: still sailing an armchair...
Posts: 641
Images: 1
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

only have a second, got this deadline to meet... but wanted to thank everyone for making me laugh before i attack this translation!

in keeping with the theme of single men on boats, just want to tickle boatie real quick (Zee did say he was a good one, after all):

Boatie, you can wear your aftershave cause, as TALL as you are, i wouldn't be able to smell it anyhow. i'm more concerned about how many pickled eggs you'll bring along for the night watches. maybe there will be a good breeze to keep me from jumping overboard...

and real quick-like:

ok, i've had this idea for a while now to make a book for myself and (who knows) for sailors (i'm always trying to find ideas so to support myself out there)... but maybe we should start a thread and get everyone to contribute and then make our own CF book?

my idea came one day when i heard this sailor say that he had white smoke and couldn't figure it. after lots of checking-frustration, he finally saw that a very small amount of oil was leaking. a small amount of oil coming out means that air is getting in...

the idea for the book (or thread) is to go FROM the engine's symptoms: (black smoke, white, smoke, oil slick on water, sudden cut off, sputter out... tap, tap, tap... slow start, overheat but restart, overheat and no start, etc. (thank goodness diesel engines are pretty consistent creatures) and then work backwards TO the potential causes.

of course, there are the easy ones: if all shuts down including instruments and music, check the main switch on the panel...

but there are those problems where one works backward and checks the easiest thing first ... that can get a bit complicated. this is where i would like to be able to consult ...

sailorchic, hey girl, do you think all these wonderful and quirky old salts would help a bunch of solo-sailing chics make a book on it? where i'm good at inspiring people, and getting things to move forward, someone like you really knows the stuff. and gamayun, you seem like the kind of gal who can make things happen to the finished stage.

we could call it Sailorgirls' Guide to Figuiring Diesel Engines or something nifty like that

Sweet, huh?


ok, gotttto get to work!

cheers mates!

ChiChi
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 01:46   #2066
Registered User
 
wolfgal's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Boat: still sailing an armchair...
Posts: 641
Images: 1
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichi View Post
only have a second, got this deadline to meet... but wanted to thank everyone for making me laugh before i attack this translation!

in keeping with the theme of single men on boats, just want to tickle boatie real quick (Zee did say he was a good one, after all):

Boatie, you can wear your aftershave cause, as TALL as you are, i wouldn't be able to smell it anyhow. i'm more concerned about how many pickled eggs you'll bring along for the night watches. maybe there will be a good breeze to keep me from jumping overboard...

and real quick-like:

ok, i've had this idea for a while now to make a book for myself and (who knows) for sailors (i'm always trying to find ideas so to support myself out there)... but maybe we should start a thread and get everyone to contribute and then make our own CF book?

my idea came one day when i heard this sailor say that he had white smoke and couldn't figure it. after lots of checking-frustration, he finally saw that a very small amount of oil was leaking. a small amount of oil coming out means that air is getting in...

the idea for the book (or thread) is to go FROM the engine's symptoms: (black smoke, white, smoke, oil slick on water, sudden cut off, sputter out... tap, tap, tap... slow start, overheat but restart, overheat and no start, etc. (thank goodness diesel engines are pretty consistent creatures) and then work backwards TO the potential causes.

of course, there are the easy ones: if all shuts down including instruments and music, check the main switch on the panel...

but there are those problems where one works backward and checks the easiest thing first ... that can get a bit complicated. this is where i would like to be able to consult ...

sailorchic, hey girl, do you think all these wonderful and quirky old salts would help a bunch of solo-sailing chics make a book on it? where i'm good at inspiring people, and getting things to move forward, someone like you really knows the stuff. and gamayun, you seem like the kind of gal who can make things happen to the finished stage.

we could call it Sailorgirls' Guide to Figuiring Diesel Engines or something nifty like that

Sweet, huh?


ok, gotttto get to work!

cheers mates!

ChiChi
Oh! and of course we need ZEE and Gadagirl and WifeyB and all of the gals on here to contribute with their engine stories. Zee seems to have quite a few on hand for the book already!

wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 01:54   #2067
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: UK-Mallorca
Posts: 13,278
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

I have a question for the lone female sailors.

For those of you that do not stay in a locale, and extend your horizons to parts new and thus out of your comfort zone, what sort of problems do you encounter from marinas etc, and the local male population?
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 03:08   #2068
Registered User
 
wolfgal's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Boat: still sailing an armchair...
Posts: 641
Images: 1
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichi View Post
Oh! and of course we need ZEE and Gadagirl and WifeyB and all of the gals on here to contribute with their engine stories. Zee seems to have quite a few on hand for the book already!

Forgive me Weavis (wet noodle time for me! ) for not taking you up on your proposition to speak about how we are perceived in ports and in marina's right now (i'll have time tomorrow or saturday), etc., but i have THIS boring yet urgent translation to do ..., and my mind has this idea that it cannot seem to stop being all excited about it. (enthusiasm is like popcorn on a hot skillet and not always a good thing!)



i'm thinking that, since SailorChic is the authority on the subject, having rebuilt her own engine in her cockpit (all that pink - wah!), a book like this should be called something like SailorChic's Guide to a Pink Engine or something to this effect... (she could surely use the extra bucks that would come from doing something once and get paid for many times... me too, actually... but i'm a good writer...when i slow down)

so yes, my mind is ALL excited about this idea, ready to scour through the posts, dig out the symptoms and then what the cause turned out to be (i really like learning about diesel engines!), then submit resumes of the incident to be commented upon by an authority and then categroized according to the symptom - each symptom could have stories at the end, stories submitted to widen the contexts.... sometimes it is climate/temperature related, sometimes it has to do with what we last changed (say an oil filter), sometimes it is specific to an engine
type (like a Yanmar or Nanni or whatever), . CF is a landmine of info... and is so much more personable than a user's manual ... a little index at the end could be included to refer to specific engine types...

the very fist page would include a list of tools that one best have on hand just for engine fixing.

Sweet, huh?

ok, i'm going to breathe a bit and chomp on another raw carrot (to get myself to settle down a bit - it has always been this way)

(hoping i will not get a double-whammy of Weavis' home-made al-dente noodles)

any comments on this Weavis?

anyone else think this is a good idea?

please wish me luck with my less interesting work...

wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 04:34   #2069
Registered User
 
Three Sisters's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 487
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post
I get the gist and agree mostly, but strongly disagree on meeting women "online." I'm not talking about online dating. That's a terrible way to do it. I meet mine on Snapchat, Instagram, etc... It's what your real life women are doing when they are looking into their phones all day.

It's more efficient than real life pickups because ypu can be targeted and not waste hours and hours looking around for ones you are attracted to.

Have you ever financed a team of professional boat builders building a 50ft high performance catamaran from scratch? If you have, I'm not sure where you are imagining I have issues with money. I have actually been traveling by plane and living in hotels in various parts of the country for a break from the boat this summer. My ducks are lined up like a mofo, friend, I'm just finding that this boat project doesn't seem to be lining up with what I want out of life (ie: not to waste it working on boat)

Bi George, I think I've got it ! Your own little honeymoon palace for your internet lovely and yourself.

And it's mobile without having to worry about scrubbing your bottom !
Think of it ! Pure bliss !

Just Breezin Along !

Click image for larger version

Name:	the long long <a title=trailer.jpg Views: 62 Size: 146.5 KB ID: 162823" style="margin: 2px" />


Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 06:22   #2070
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 760
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I have a question for the lone female sailors.

I too have a question. Do any of you female sailors ever get back the east coast of the US(namely the Chesapeake Bay)? If so, maybe we could meet for coffee and do boat talk.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruising, living aboard, men, single

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All about the Colregs no 3 - single handed sailing and keeping a look out Rustic Charm Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 401 23-02-2021 11:49
Make a Living, Living Aboard JanetGroene Boat Ownership & Making a Living 0 19-11-2010 12:28

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:31.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.