Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2017, 13:10   #346

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Single, Female, and living aboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Aiee.. Linda..!!! se apenas eu tinha percebido latino foi a chave mais cedo...

Bugga..

Some 9f the best phrases are in Latin...

A bove ante, ab asino retro, a muliere undique caveto; )
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 13:15   #347
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single, Female, and living aboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuentes View Post
Boatman, You got me. I speak Spanish. Es Latino o Portugues? "foi a chave mais cedo".?
Italian, Spanish, Portuguese are all Latin.. 'found the key much sooner'..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 13:24   #348
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Some 9f the best phrases are in Latin...

A bove ante, ab asino retro, a muliere undique caveto; )

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 20:26   #349

Interesting read. The safety issues of a female without a male protector living on a boat is of particular interest. I have always refused to be a victim. Being a victim for me is a state of mind. Have I been victimized, attacked, stolen from yes. But in none of my "situations" have I thought of myself as a victim. Let alone a female victim. In all cases I looked at the positive side. I survived.

Fear and projecting weakness are common amongst victimhood thinkers. This is like honeypot to a bee. A deadly attraction for predators. They smell out the weak and fearful. Like a wolf towards its prey.

Ever stared down a fiercely enraged barking dog? Standing your ground looking directly into his eyes without flinching or showing any sign of fear. And then have the dog cower and lay down on his all fours in front of you. But the same dog if he sensed an ounce of fear as you turned to run would have pounced on you and ripped pieces of your flesh off. I have done this. And it is this law of the jungle and understanding of the behavior of animals that I have upper mind when walking alone amongst urban animals.

Predators abound. But as has been said by others here, predators are looking to prey on the vulnerable, the weak and the easy prey. So what you project is often your greatest protection or weakness.

Talking about protection. I have thought of all kinds of weapons to have on board. From pistols to rifles to even tazers. But all of these are problematic in most ports. My latest thoughts are. A good baseball bat. Martial arts skills, like planting a short powerful kick to the predators knee cap breaking it and in all likelihood maiming them for life. Something even more dangerous that I have found no law at home or abroad against, is a powerful electric cattle prod. Countries have laws against citizens using tazers but I have seen no law about thrusting a cattle prod into the gut of an urban animal.

My great grandmother on my fathers side was a pioneer farmer in the bush in Australia. She met her demise while falling under the back wheel of the bullock train piled high with logs she was driving. No shrinking violet. As tough as any man. Perhaps being a women even tougher. Coming from such pioneer stock has made me think differently to most. As for me. I ask for no quarter nor will I give any a quarter.

Imagine being that women who people say is crazy living on boat who drags a bass ball bat with her wherever she goes. The women who wild dogs run from and who has that crazy air of confidence that she doesn't give a damn. The kind of person you should not tangle with, male or female. For that women there is no issue that I can think of about living aboard while not being under the protection of a "man".
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 21:31   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Ever stared down a fiercely enraged barking dog? Standing your ground looking directly into his eyes without flinching or showing any sign of fear. And then have the dog cower and lay down on his all fours in front of you.
:
I like your style Walkabout. If you're ever on the Chesapeake Bay, I'll take you sailing. Just don't bring that ball bat.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 09:26   #351
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ohmygods
i feel sooo very unprotected i adopted a little tiny defenseless kitten found under a car in a city. he has grown to be about roughly 8 ish months of age and only likes me.
as bubba is a whopping 11 or 12 years old--i forgot if i got him in 2005 or 2006 hahaha pooor boy.....
so i now have 2 assistants, male, on board.
i figgered a second cat will help keep idiots away.
bubba is still an excellent sorter of who is and is not worthy of entering his boat.....
i LOVE how he shreds those unwilling to possess signs of humanity.
sooo many stereotypes flying around each and every time someone asks about gender oriented issues --or non issues.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 11:02   #352

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ohmygods
i feel sooo very unprotected i adopted a little tiny defenseless kitten found under a car in a city. he has grown to be about roughly 8 ish months of age and only likes me.
as bubba is a whopping 11 or 12 years old--i forgot if i got him in 2005 or 2006 hahaha pooor boy.....
so i now have 2 assistants, male, on board.
i figgered a second cat will help keep idiots away.
bubba is still an excellent sorter of who is and is not worthy of entering his boat.....
i LOVE how he shreds those unwilling to possess signs of humanity.
sooo many stereotypes flying around each and every time someone asks about gender oriented issues --or non issues.

That does it for me, Zee
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 17:04   #353

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post

Imagine being that women who people say is crazy living on boat who drags a bass ball bat with her wherever she goes. The women who wild dogs run from and who has that crazy air of confidence that she doesn't give a damn. The kind of person you should not tangle with, male or female. For that women there is no issue that I can think of about living aboard while not being under the protection of a "man".
Your new avatar?

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 04:35   #354

Boat: O'Day 28

Self-confidence is important but ...

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 04:43   #355

I think there are a lot of out of control males who exhibit varying levels of aggressive anti social behavior. But probably less so in the marine environment where presumable all are sailors and will have an ethic to help one another.

Jerks who are predators can prey on boats and their inhabitants in marinas because they are accessible. Yet another reason to avoid marinas at all cost. Not to many jerks will have a way to get at someone on an anchor or mooring.

Sad truth is that there are so many jerks out there...
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 05:47   #356
Marine Service Provider

Im so with you, Walkabout. Give an inch, and they'll take a yard as the phrase goes. Self-confidence is important, and nobody likes taking crap from others. One of mt fave Bob Marley songs..*Get up, stand up. Stand up for your rights" tells it all, and being born and raised in Brooklyn, NY, there's no substitute for a solid Louisville Slugger.
lfalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 06:17   #357
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the only improvement on a louisville slugger is addition of a heavy duty solid stainless steel gaff. mine has that. love it.
a small light fish counting gaff is excellent for the time one only needs a good eye poking.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 11:37   #358

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat

Very entertaining thread.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 20:21   #359

Boat: Shock Santana, 30

I am a woman, always slerping on our boat alone.

I take precautions, in order to get a good nights sleep.
I use bungie cords to secure the companion way, from the inside of our saling boat.

I have a personal hand held very loud alarm. I also have, serious police approved pepper spray.
I also, have a mind set. If you are breaking into my space, you're up for a fight that is not going to bode well for a preditor.

I've rigged my companion way so that, I have as much as a warning about a bad guy as possible.

I'm not peranoid, my husband works night and i am alone 6 out of 7 nights.

It's just smart for anyone, to think and prepare for the what if.
DeeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:37   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
I like your style Walkabout. If you're ever on the Chesapeake Bay, I'll take you sailing. Just don't bring that ball bat.
That's very kind of you. Thanks.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard, single