Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2012, 07:11   #1

Boat: hunter 376
SHTF and Boats

A few years back, when I was building our vacation cabin, I was exchanging ideas and advice on cabin building on an online small cabin forum, and the SHTF was mentioned by quite a few people in regards to their cabins. SHTF is when the "-hit hits the fan" an expression for the so-called impending collapse of civilization as we know it. Hoarders and "preppers" have been around for centuries, always convinced that the collapse is imminent, but to be fair, the concept is beginning to cross from the fringe, and more into the mainstream. Now people are also pointing out how lucky we will be to be able to live on our boat when SHTF. Although I don't subscribe to the SHTF end of the world scenario, it strikes me as prudent to have a small emergency kit at home as well as on the boat. Are other boaters preparing or planning for the possibility of living aboard during a severe downturn? Some refer to it as a "bug out" plan.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 07:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: SHTF and boats

can't wait,shapening my pitchfork as we speak......nothing like a good revolution to restore the balance............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 07:48   #3

Boat: Heritage East 40
Re: SHTF and Boats

Will work until we run out fuel for the gen and or motors!
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 07:52   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

SHTF is not an unrealistic scenario if there is a major earthquake, you get hit by a tornado or a hurricane. Boats are more likely to survive these natural disasters than a structure on land, especially an earthquake. Yes, its realistic and not paranoid to have a place to seek shelter if your home on land gets wiped out or loses its services such as power and water.

As far as needing it for civil unrest etc, I don't think anyone knows what the odds of that happening are, but I would imagine they are pretty low odds.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 07:54   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I'm not one to predict or expect the failure of social structure that would result in these survival needs, but the nature of preparing for cruising independently for months at a time does allow a liveaboard cruiser some isolation and protection from such an event. I've had the impression that those who prepare for such a future find that their expectations add to the drama and thrill in their lives. It seems to be the same atitude that attracts so many to the reality TV shows. I not saying that the SHTF scenario isn't a possibility, but preparing for it as a dominant feature in your goals seems to be a waste. Maybe take a short cut and buy one of the leftover 1950's bomb shelters or spend time researching Mayan calendars.
Old 21-10-2012, 08:05   #6

If you are preparing for a long distance cruise or liveaboard, you are already more prepared than most for any for SHTF scenarios.

Yes, preparing for for a *specific* SHTF scenario (EMP blast, chemical attack, etc), as prepper culture is often portrayed in the media lately, is more a waste of time IMHO. Simply because no one can predict a specific scenario. Doing such makes prepping more your "hobby" than actually being prepared for disasters in general. Nothing wrong with that, but for me its time wasted.

Perhaps there was a reason the boy scout motto "be prepared" was intentionally vague.
westsail42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 09:36   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Heron View Post
Will work until we run out fuel for the gen and or motors!
That's why my boat has all LED's, lots of solar and Aerogel insulation in the fridge and hot water tank.
No genset needed.

If a big EMP happens though, I'll be seriously hosed.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 10:05   #8

Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye

Long distance cruisers with full provisions are prepared for many of the SHTF scenarios. There are a few scenarios which will be hard to prep for in a boat, Nuclear winter is the worst case. Another hard to plan for is a comet hitting the earth. Another very dangerous scenario but survivable is Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP). A knock out EMP could not only be man made, but also natural too. In the 1880s, there was an EMP from sun spot activity which if it hit today, would likely take down the grid in much of the world. When it hit in 1880s, it knocked out telegraph system and took six months to recover. It hit so hard that it burnt down telegraph buildings. Ways to prepare is to have a boat which can sail without any electricity or electronics, i.e. sexton, wind vane steering, and rain water catchment system and enough food to get you to other side of globe. Most of the rest of the SHTF scenarios are mostly political/economic in nature generally confined to geographical areas. If one has a well equipped long distance cruiser, and suitable assets with them, then they will likely be in good shape to weather the storm. The important thing is to stay stocked and provisioned and ready to leave at moments notice.

In 1997, I had a bad feeling about our financial system here in the US and changed carreers, from a focus of real estate to farmer. Over the next ten years, I sold all of my and my parents investment real estate properties, the bulk of it in 2007, keeping only agricultural land. I have a nice farmstead built up now, but realize that it is not a lifestyle in which I thrive as a newly single person, so I am now in transition, changing from farm based lifestyle to sailboat based lifestyle. Many of my skills and knowledge will benefit me greatly on a cruising sail boat. I know how to live simply with basic food items and how to search out those items. I don't shop my food from grocery stores now, so why would I do it on a sail boat?
CCBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 10:31   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Just look around - most sailors do not know where the wind blows from. When the shore world goes boom, they will not survive more than a week.

If you want to improve your chances of surviving (whatever this might mean) a SHTF scenario then I say get guns and learn well to use them.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 10:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Just look around - most sailors do not know where the wind blows from. When the shore world goes boom, they will not survive more than a week.

If you want to improve your chances of surviving (whatever this might mean) a SHTF scenario then I say get guns and learn well to use them.

b.
and fish hooks!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 10:42   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
...........then I say get guns and learn well to use them. b.
Oh, NO! Please save us from another gun thread!
Old 21-10-2012, 10:55   #12
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post

Inevitable in a thread about "preppers", as guns are what "prepping" is all about. The whole thing is just a convenient excuse to purchase a huge armory and play with it. Personally, I need no such excuse, just do it for fun...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 10:56   #13

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
OK. There's plenty of room for contention about regular fish hooks and environmentally safer circle hooks!

When the SHTF, I'm using effective regular hooks no matter what the greenies say.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 10:58   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

The most likely problem I see occurring in the near future where isolation and self sufficiency would be a huge advantage, is an outbreak of an airborne virus with human transmission (we have come close to this in the last few years with bird flu scares). Being able to survive several months in isolation would actually be a huge advantage if this occurs.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 11:02   #15

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
The most likely problem I see occurring in the near future where isolation and self sufficiency would be a huge advantage, is an outbreak of an airborne virus with human transmission (we have come close to this in the last few years with bird flu scares). Being able to survive several months in isolation would actually be a huge advantage if this occurs.
Now that is putting on a happy face. I'm with ya!
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote