Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2017, 00:15   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Show me your bed sheets

Oh errr. Actually don't, but do tell what colour/type you use.

I brought my soft white high thread count bed sheets with me when I became a liveabord. As you can imagine they lasted all of 10 minutes before they were were ruined. Pillow cases are the worst.

The biggest culprit is sunscreen which of course leaves rust stains due to avobenzone, then it's a whole bunch of other little marks and stains that you get on a boat. Next is the laundries. Mostly in the med you don't get self-service laundries, so you are relying on someone else washing them. They don't always follow your instructions or use the right products to keep things looking fresh and white.

So what colour is your bedding, and how stain resistant is it?
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 00:33   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Show me your bed sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
White, thousand count cotton.

I do all our washing by hand on board and find it the easiest to launder, as it can just be soaked in Vanish overnight (peroxide, not chlorine based) and it comes up pristine with no scrubbing. Colours are far harder to deal with.

A lower thread count (eg 400) would be easier to handle and would dry more quickly, but good bed linen is one of the luxuries I enjoy, so I find it worth the extra trouble.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 00:34   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Funny you should mention it as I find it quite important.

White is boring.
I got some deep dark red and they were great but did make the cabin a bit dark.

Then some cheap patterned, brighter sheets. They do well because they look lively and can be changed for little expense.

One thing I do miss on the boat (mein got, I'm male!) is my own washing machine and unlimited water. Sometimes I bleach the pillowcases that seem to come back from the laundry yellow.

Pillows last a short time. I buy expensive ones but my boat seems to flatten them quickly.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 00:43   #4
Long Range Cruiser

I am not sure Thread Count means much anymore. The thickness of the cotton strand does.

Just checking the net... It's about some law brought into the USA that has since been ripped off by the manufacturers. The Cotton Research and Promotion Act of 1966

1000 X 1 ply cotton is crap.
1000 x 3 ply cotton is good.

Bet you don't know how many ply your cotton is. ☺️

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2930432/Snobs-does-thread-count-sheets-REALLY-matter.html
Old 17-07-2017, 01:12   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I am not sure Thread Count means much anymore. The thickness of the cotton strand does.

Just checking the net... It's about some law brought into the USA that has since been ripped off by the manufacturers. The Cotton Research and Promotion Act of 1966

1000 X 1 ply cotton is crap.
1000 x 3 ply cotton is good.

Bet you don't know how many ply your cotton is. ☺️

Snobs go on about it but does the thread count of your sheets REALLY matter | Daily Mail Online
Good hotel linen is just lovely to sleep on. I bet that is the 3ply stuff.

I don't know what I have (that info isn't usually provided), but I think the feel gives a reasonable indication of the ply used. Unfortunately, when buying online I have no opportunity to rub it between my fingers.

Cost is probably the other indication of ply. Cheap 1000 count is still nice (I wouldn't call it crap), but the difference is readily apparent, both to touch and how it wears over time, compared to the more expensive 1000 count stuff.

SWL

Old 17-07-2017, 01:25   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

For many years, we used Sears navy blue sheets. Cotton and polyester. Not a nice feel like good quality percale, but did the job. Highly stain resistant, and the color helped them dry fast. I used to fit a king size flat sheet for the bottom sheet in the V-berth on our first Insatiable, then trim the other flat sheet, insert elastic, and voila, fitted sheets.

A friend in Australia turned me onto Sheridan sheets (made in China), and I got some and was really proud of them. Then, one night before we left for Vanuatu, my right foot little toenail snagged the bottom sheet and tore it about 3 ft. I was not best pleased. And I haven't bought any more Sheridan sheets, either.

However, I do think the 1,000 3ply might have been better, so my suggestion is for the prospective buyer to search that out carefully, and then, wait for the white sales. The feel of the higher quality sheets against the skin was much more pleasant. But, by golly, they're not generally bargains.

PS. Since then, I tried some other 1,000 sheets, and honestly, they were so poor, I'd rather the old Sears polyester and cotton!

Ann
Old 17-07-2017, 01:47   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
For many years, we used Sears navy blue sheets. Cotton and polyester. Not a nice feel like good quality percale, but did the job. Highly stain resistant, and the color helped them dry fast. I used to fit a king size flat sheet for the bottom sheet in the V-berth on our first Insatiable, then trim the other flat sheet, insert elastic, and voila, fitted sheets.

A friend in Australia turned me onto Sheridan sheets (made in China), and I got some and was really proud of them. Then, one night before we left for Vanuatu, my right foot little toenail snagged the bottom sheet and tore it about 3 ft. I was not best pleased. And I haven't bought any more Sheridan sheets, either.

However, I do think the 1,000 3ply might have been better, so my suggestion is for the prospective buyer to search that out carefully, and then, wait for the white sales. The feel of the higher quality sheets against the skin was much more pleasant. But, by golly, they're not generally bargains.

PS. Since then, I tried some other 1,000 sheets, and honestly, they were so poor, I'd rather the old Sears polyester and cotton!

Ann
I wait for the sales as well and I then buy only king sized flat sheets. I make fitted sheets from these just as you do, and pillowcases also. We have "Continental" square pillows and the cases are a mint to buy. It is far cheaper cutting up a large sheet and making them from this. I use the wide border for the edge of each pillow case and then run some thin ribbon through to give a nice finish. I do the same with the edge of the top sheet as well.

These unironed pillowcases are now a couple of years old. There is almost no sign of wear yet and the soaking in Vanish keeps them pristine (it is far easier to look after than anything coloured). They are just beautiful to sleep on. I think just because we need to "rough it" with so many aspects of cruising, it does not mean all the nice things need to be left behind:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2650.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	152053  

Old 17-07-2017, 02:37   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quite so, and those pillow slips look great. That's a super idea. You know, as I've grown older, little luxuries like beaut sheets are something I appreciate. We are fortunate that we can get them if we want them, and I thank my lucky stars for that.

Ann
Old 17-07-2017, 04:44   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The best time to buy bedding/linens is January (or February) and August.
Stores often hold white sales in January to encourage shoppers to stock up on towels and bedding. Ever since John Wanamaker (the first department store owner) launched the first White Sale in 1878, January has become the defacto linen clearance month.
Bed and bath items sometimes go on sale again in August when college students are shopping for dorm room essentials. August is also a prime season for moving, and retailers try to capture those customers as well.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 05:09   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
You know, as I've grown older, little luxuries like beaut sheets are something I appreciate.

Ann
Dunno if age has to do with it. Maybe its being on a boat for a few years.
I now spend a little more and eat off real plates, wear new clothes and sleep in good linen.
Being on a boat doesn't equate to living like a neanderthal ☺️
Old 17-07-2017, 05:13   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The best time to buy bedding/linens is January (or February) and August.
Stores often hold white sales in January to encourage shoppers to stock up on towels and bedding. Ever since John Wanamaker (the first department store owner) launched the first White Sale in 1878, January has become the defacto linen clearance month.
Bed and bath items sometimes go on sale again in August when college students are shopping for dorm room essentials. August is also a prime season for moving, and retailers try to capture those customers as well.
Don't hold out for August in Australia . It is the middle of winter and down south it is too wet and windy to go shopping so not much happens in the retail trade. January is prime time though. The three weeks after Christmas prices on just about everything are slashed and bedlinen can often be picked up for half price. That coincides nicely with our biennial visits home, so I stock up then.

For anyone visiting Downunder, the financial year ends on the 30th of June and for a couple of weeks after that stocktaking sales are on. That is another good time to buy.

SWL

Old 17-07-2017, 05:19   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Cotton, medium thread count, solid green. Green is though by many to help with mal de mare on a boat, and it hides soil well. I've had white, high thread count, and it was a big mistake.

Pocket sewn in the foot of the top sheet to keep it on the mattress.
Old 17-07-2017, 05:22   #13

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Unhappy Re: Show me your bed sheets

I've never found hand washing any good at removing any stains or marks, but then I'm not skilled at it.

It gets rid of smells in t-shirts etc... but I'm never had it clean my socks, remove deodorant marks, sunscreen, grease etc.. You just can't beat a washing machine. Unfortunately I don't have one, nor an unlimited water supply.

I've got some hotel style sheets at the moment that can be washed at high temp and bleached. They are fine when I can do washing myself at a laundrette, but don't come back good from a service inclusive laundry.

My long pile high thread pillow cases are actually being used as mats at the moment as I couldn't get them bright and white again

Just look at these sunscreen stains, and that's from one that isn't supposed to stain clothes.

[IMG][/IMG]
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 05:50   #14

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Oh errr. Actually don't, but do tell what colour/type you use.

I brought my soft white high thread count bed sheets with me when I became a liveabord. As you can imagine they lasted all of 10 minutes before they were were ruined. Pillow cases are the worst.

The biggest culprit is sunscreen which of course leaves rust stains due to avobenzone, then it's a whole bunch of other little marks and stains that you get on a boat. Next is the laundries. Mostly in the med you don't get self-service laundries, so you are relying on someone else washing them. They don't always follow your instructions or use the right products to keep things looking fresh and white.

White, fine satin weave cotton 100%. Not stain resistant at all.

Funny enough, I am doing battle right now with bed sheets trying to revive the guest bed sheet and remove years of brown staining. What a palaver. It is caused seemingly by sunscreen as you say, but also anti-perspirant and sweat and body oils. I am on my 5th washing machine cycle at 90 C. Each time with a different remedy. Pre-soaking in 90% neat liquid biological detergent, then a pre soak with Vanish, then vinegar, then baking soda paste, then a regular wash with a tiny bit of conditioner. It is now very much improved, but not like new. The first step made the biggest improvement.

With my own bed sheets there is much less staining. I don't use anti-perspirants. I keep cool at night, so don't sweat much and I shower in the evening, so am free of sun cream and clean to boot. I don't think I can influence my guests with a standing order on this.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 05:55   #15

Boat: Grand Banks 42 MY

100% Canadian goose down duvet & pillows.
100% Cotton Percale duvet & pillow covers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F0004.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	152068  

Tags
bed, sheets