Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2020, 08:08   #1

Boat: Morgan 382
Shipping to USVI

I am at anchor at St. Thomas. My mainsail failed just as I was arriving, after 30,000 mile of trouble free service.

I'd like to order a new mainsail while I sit here and wait, but can't find a place to ship it. The Marina's are telling me that I can't ship to them unless I have a berth at $120 per night. Yikes!

I know that for smaller items I can have them shipped general delivery to the post office. But I don't think this will work for a 100lb package that isn't being shipped via USPS.

Any ideas how I can receive my new sail?

FWIW, I checked the local supplier, and their loft is shut down, and wouldn't be able to begin work until I'm just about ready to leave. (When the restrictions are lifted)

-warren
Old 07-04-2020, 08:34   #2

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40
Re: Shipping to USVI

We use a mail service in Seattle to get our mail. They are remaining open as an essential business.

... so you might try a mail service in the USVI. The only one I could find on a quick check was:

https://www.redhookmail.com/

Their website says open - and if so - they might accept the package for a minimal service fee
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:56   #3

Boat: Nauticat 43

Friends in the USVI have shipped packages to the Fed Ex office where they held them until our friends picked them up there. You may want to check on UPS' or DHL's policies, also.
Old 13-04-2020, 12:54   #4

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

There is a mail box service at Crown Bay Marina - https://www.mailstopvi.com/. We use Connections on St John; they will receive a package for you for $10.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 17:35   #5

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Curious, what would it cost to ship a 100 lb. package down there in the first place? Maybe it's worth getting that slip after all. Have a nice shower and a dock to easily load the sail onto the boat...
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 18:18   #6

Give a call to “ Tropical Shipping” at their St Thomas office. They are an ocean freight company working out of Miami and covering most of the Caribbean. They do containers, pallets, cars, everything....

Same with “Blue Ocean” shipping.

You ship to their terminal in Miami, pick at the terminal in St. Thomas.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 04:54   #7

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

https://www.sttcargo.com/ is another option. They are more boutique than Tropical or Crowley. They ship less than container from Miami weekly.

USPS is the cheapest deal. FedEx works. You need to check with the marina to see if they will accept packages for you. The shops like Mail Stop are the best bet, then freight forwarder, then General Delivery.

When we ordered our sails they were shipped direct from the Philippines via FedEx to where ever we happened to be.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shipping