Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2019, 12:41   #1

Shipping back to USA for repair

I will be sending part of my autopilot back to the states for repair. The nice Fedex lady told me I needed a US Customs form to do that but she didn't know which one. She said it would require my boat registration information. I looked all over and the only thing I could find was the "Commercial Invoice" form. From the Fedex site Commercial means it is worth something. But the form requires a Tax ID number etc, obviously geared toward a business, not a private citizen. We're in Martinique, and there is a big strike going on so I can't get the customs form on this end either.

Can someone advise me on the customs from the USA end? We're USA citizens by the way.

Thanks,
Duane
Old 19-12-2019, 13:55   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Shipping back to USA for repair

When filing self-employed federal income taxes we use Social Security numbers since we have no corporate tax ID number. P.S.: You may be able to get the forms you need online.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 14:14   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Ive never had to fill out USA Customs forms when shipping to USA for repair, but I have had to export from other countries so I didnt get dinged full duty when the item was re-imported.

Have not done any of the above from Maritnique...though the last time I was there the Frenchies were on strike too! [emoji849]

The manufacturer/repair facility might also have some experience with this process. Also contact USA Customs.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 14:41   #4

Useful link:

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping...documents.html
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 14:59   #5

Boat: Outremer 50S

Technically you are required to handle this as either "Temporary Import under Bond" or use an ATA Carnet. Both are not cheap or easy, and usually not worth the effort for small items.

If the value can reasonably be claimed as less than $2500 and you can send it by post (not Fedex/UPS/DHL, etc.) then the USPS will receive the package, transfer it to CBP who will evaluate any charges, and then send the package back to USPS for delivery. All of that is free of charge, unless they decide you owe duty - in which case CBP charges $5 + duty + USPS fee (not sure how much that is). If you send the package by courier (FedEx, etc.) then you are at their mercy with regard to clearance procedures.

For the commercial invoice you can use the form you saw before. At the the top clearly mark it "No Sale" (so the header would say "Commercial Invoice - No Sale". In the invoice body put the original value of the equipment (hopefully less than $2500). Then add some data on serial # and "Returned for (warranty) repair - to be reexported (returned to sender) on completion of repairs". Make that part big and bold. For the total value at the bottom of the invoice make that $0.00 (even though you have a line item that is the original value). This indicates that the unit is being returned for repair. Here's a sample invoice (this one is for the shipment back out with the repair cost). If the value is under $2500 then formal entry is not required and this should get it through CBP. This procedure has worked for me on a number of occasions.

Not familiar with the French/Martinique side. By international rule when the unit is returned the shipper should do exactly the same, but their commercial invoice should include a second line item for the value of the repair, along with a notation about whether or not the repair was warranty work. Their final value should still be zero. If possible (navigating yet another bureaucracy) you should register the unit with French Customs before it leaves the island, in theory if you do that you should be able to get it back without cost. If for some reason you can't then duty should be charged only on the value of the repair as listed on the invoice.

Sometimes it can be easier to either ship it to family/friend in the US as a personal package (with a value declared that is less than the gift limit) or have the unit carried as baggage by someone on a plane then shipped from inside the US.

Another alternative, that I have never tried (I've done the commercial invoice route many times as part of my work) is to complete CBP form 3299 and send the unit back for "Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles". Most of us can legally claim that our boat is our household, and if the item is boat equipment can honestly check the box for:

Quote:
All instruments, implements, or tools of trade, occupation or employment, and all professional books for which free entry is sought were taken abroad by me or for my account or I am an emigrant who owned and used them abroad. (9804.00.10,9804.00.15, HTSUSA)
Welcome to the world of international shipping, isn't it fun?
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 09:19   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Can't help with the forms for shipping to the US but cannot emphasize enough to document everything about the shipping out of Martinique including copies of the shipping docs, SN of the unit, etc. Otherwise they may ding you for import duty when it ships back. Been there, done that.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 01:17   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...orm%203311.pdf

This is the form you want to use and maybe use what form FedEx might have. Shower them with paperwork.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shipping