Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Self Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post
Good stuff!

So you also don’t wear masks?

So aside from running the morality/morbidity numbers between getting Covid vs getting attacked/robbed, the thing is unlike a junky face cloth, my sidearm is a hand crafted piece I enjoy, I have a one off leather holster and I really enjoy target shooting as well as the craftsmanship and performance that went into my rig and my training, just like I wear a watch both out of respect for time, as well as the craftsmanship and beauty of the timepiece.

So again, with all these people being scared of a virus, that if you get it is but a 0.3% death rate, to wear ugly cloths over ones face like a 21st century burka, destroy their economies, but say that I must be paranoid to carry my sidearm?

It’s a interesting comparison

This is the second post you have made that suggests to me you would be a 'target' long before I would be looked at a second time..
The first was your comment about my clothes costing more than they can earn in a month..
I am not a walking billboard, no little Crocodile, Tick or Hermes logo's that so many (especially bad guys) feel suit their status.. my phones an Asus Android costing €125 not an Apple costing $1000+, I don't wear a watch and no jewellery, chains, rings bracelets.
My idea of dressing up for a night out is wiping the dust off my boots, don a clean pressed pair of old jeans or cords, a long sleeved shirt and my battered old drovers hat.
And.. as already said, I don't hang out where people go to be victims..
In the Med we have three lines..
Front line is where the tourists and the wannabeseen's hang out,
Second line is where there's a mix of well off natives and long term foreigners who prefer to avoid the noise of the above..
Then there's the Third line where faces are predominantly local and the ambience is worn lino, cracked plaster, tin roofs and real laughter.. and loaded with bacteria

Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
Old 16-08-2020, 06:06   #47

Re: Self Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Where do you live that you have developed such an attitude?
Where do you intend to cruise?
Bad encounters of the kind are extremely rare, unprovoked.

If you grew up in such a neighbourhood, rest assured elsewhere it is not quite that bad. Unless you are seeking trouble. Then you will find trouble.

Seek peace. Avoid bad spots. And you have 99.99% chance of being fine.

Yes, some of us trained in stuff like Taekwodo, Aikido and some wrestling. Today I would have elected Krav Maga over Taekwondo. It is far more realistic. Today I am over 50 and 80% of the young guys on the local beach are faster and stronger than me. So much for martial arts.

Yes, some, specifically US citizens, insist on having a firearm. But people with guns are not welcomed in many places. You have a gun you are likely to use it. If you have one, leave it home.

My take then is:
- avoid bad spots,
- speak languages,
- respect local people,
- smile, share, RELAX.

Unless you set yourself into a position to get hurt, you are highly unlikely to be in one.

Take care,
barnakiel
Barnakiel, you are on fire these days!!!

++1

Situational awareness is key. If you don't know what that is, look up and read about it. Crucial ability to develop.

Good luck,
LittleWing77
Old 16-08-2020, 06:21   #48

Self awareness of your surroundings is the number one protection.

I'm retired law enforcement, but one of the interesting aspects to that, is how infrequently off duty police are mugged.

It's not because they are carrying a gun, it's because their job has taught them to be constantly aware of their surroundings, and to position themselves in response to those surroundings.

Sometimes that means getting the hell out of an anchorage, or even marina. Sometimes that means walking out to the front gate of the marina, looking around, and realizing that you may be in a very nice marina, in a bad part of town.

We were in downtown Montego Bay Jamaica one time ;my wife and I. And, I immediately spotted three guys tailing us, waiting for us to take a turn somewhere out of sight. We saw a tour bus discharging a load, and just walked over to it. The three immediately gave up and began looking for another victim. If we had turned down an alley, they would have releived us of our stuff.

I'm been trained and carried guns all my life, mostly as part of my job. But, even in my job, they were considered the last ditch solution when every other one, had failed. And, just owning a gun, doesn't make one a gun fighter, any more than owning a torque wrench, makes you a diesel mechanic, or owing a typewriter makes you a novelist.

And, you can take situational awareness with you anywhere. It's legal in every country. A good training tool, I was taught, is to try and notice something new, even in your own neighborhood, everywhere you go, every time. It's a fun way to build situational awareness. And, you will be surprised at things you have driven by for years without noticing.
Old 16-08-2020, 06:25   #49
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

My knees don't allow me to run well enough to hope to get away from anyone. So I am purely at the reverage and I am taking the bast*rds with me stage of thinking.

So I have a small square of plastic explosive packed in a telfon pouch that is surgery implanted in my fat that is packed with BBs for "effect". No enough to cover a lot of area, but enough to take care of my assailant and myself going out with a bang when I press the secret spot on my thumb nail.

Old 16-08-2020, 06:42   #50

Thanks again everyone. I have no intention of arming myself with anything other than my extensive Freestyle/Grecco wrestling skills, Jiu Jitsu Black Black belt that I should have in a year or so (been a Brown belt now for 2 and train 3-5 times a week for the last decade, as well as instruct) and my attitude, awareness and avoidance. My son and wife also have a working knowledge of self defense, and basic BJJ from the ground. In a real situation, as rare as they are, there's a good chance you take a sucker punch and are on the ground before you have a chance to react. This is how sexual assaults happen, statistically speaking.

Having read the threads and watched the videos on youtube about boat security, it seems like if metal bars on hatches and companion ways are a thing that people do, then a working knowledge and consistent training of basic self defense and BJJ would also be an investment (in time) that folks might be interested in.

I FULLY agree that a person can't take a seminar, and feel like they are prepared in real life. Martial arts and self defense HAVE to be part of regular fitness and training. That said, Jiu Jitsu is super fun, and a great way to maintain fitness w/o needing much equipment or real estate, particularly if you can't run due to injuries (me). It's viable for older folks, small people. If some person with no training ends up on top of you and you understand Blue Belt level grappling, you can injure severely and threaten significantly from this most common disadvantageous position.

My question was more a probe to see if the skill-set would be of interest to the sailing and cruising community, not as to if I should train martial arts. I do. I love it. I recommend it for your wives and kids for a lot of reasons.

However, I have no experience traveling outside the US on a boat, and it seems people who do know those realities do not feel the need for this skill set. This again is encouraging to me as I weigh the pluses and minuses of my half baked plan to get on and live on a boat and travel with my home school son and wife when he's a teen.

I appreciate all of the discussion, thanks again.
Old 16-08-2020, 07:13   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpackie View Post
it seems people who do know those realities do not feel the need for this skill set.
Nice. You listened and heard that in and of itself is a great skillset

Yea, once you get out there the cruising community knows full well where the 'bad' places are and we generally avoid them, and we know full well to be low profile and not flashy and to blend in (as best as white western perople can). And then your experience will be almost entirely with very generous and open and helpful people - it will in fact restore your fath in mankind's goodness.

Yes you will encounter some scammers and some petty theves - more or less ocasionally depending on where you go - and lol some of those will be government officials (Egypt, Ecuador). But in 20 years of world cruising we never had once case of violence or even potential violence.

Now . . . . I might comment that I consider physical fitness and the ability to reat and think well in a crisis to be essential components of good seamanship and safety. And if you wanted to offer self defense to the cruising community in that context, it would be of value. We need to be strong and resolved and disciplined when things go to **** at sea at 0 dark hundred - and self defense decipline and training could well be directed at building those capabilities.
Old 16-08-2020, 07:58   #52

Boat: Venture 25 / Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Self awareness of your surroundings is the number one protection.

I'm retired law enforcement, but one of the interesting aspects to that, is how infrequently off duty police are mugged.

It's not because they are carrying a gun, it's because their job has taught them to be constantly aware of their surroundings, and to position themselves in response to those surroundings.

Sometimes that means getting the hell out of an anchorage, or even marina. Sometimes that means walking out to the front gate of the marina, looking around, and realizing that you may be in a very nice marina, in a bad part of town.

We were in downtown Montego Bay Jamaica one time ;my wife and I. And, I immediately spotted three guys tailing us, waiting for us to take a turn somewhere out of sight. We saw a tour bus discharging a load, and just walked over to it. The three immediately gave up and began looking for another victim. If we had turned down an alley, they would have releived us of our stuff.

I'm been trained and carried guns all my life, mostly as part of my job. But, even in my job, they were considered the last ditch solution when every other one, had failed. And, just owning a gun, doesn't make one a gun fighter, any more than owning a torque wrench, makes you a diesel mechanic, or owing a typewriter makes you a novelist.

And, you can take situational awareness with you anywhere. It's legal in every country. A good training tool, I was taught, is to try and notice something new, even in your own neighborhood, everywhere you go, every time. It's a fun way to build situational awareness. And, you will be surprised at things you have driven by for years without noticing.
And here it is - this is the definitive answer from a lifetime professional. +1
Old 16-08-2020, 08:04   #53

Boat: Venture 25 / Tayana 37

Quote:
My question was more a probe to see if the skill-set would be of interest to the sailing and cruising community, not as to if I should train martial arts.
I think it's a great question and I would recommend to all people - especially those travelling - to learn 4 things:

1. Environmental awareness skills
2. Situational awareness skills
3. The psychology of escalation and de-escalation
4. Assertive speaking

THAT is the skill set that will keep you out of trouble.
Old 16-08-2020, 11:41   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33 and OPB
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I’m with Boatie #1 fit in. Loose the designer stuff and the fancy watch. I wear a $20 timex on deliveries and even when I travel in Europe with Adm Snore. Second, be mellow and open; not the typical tightass know-all Yankee.

Finally, the defense/offspense thing is an interesting debate. Best example, my first visit to Cuba, owner (European) heads into Habana with his friends (European) for a night of “paid promiscuity”.

I go to a bar by the Marina Hemingway. Walk in there the first time not knowing anything. The place looks like a dive bar from a Bogart movie. I take 5-sec to size the place up. Three guys drinking, 2 Cubans and one tourista. Accounted for everyone when I realized—- If I am the last man standing in a Cuban bar-fight, I go to jail. If I get my butt whooped, I go to a Cuban Hospital... hospital better than jail. Better yet make friends.

And THAT is the key. Go into those situations looking to make friends, realizing you are always the outsider.

Carrying a knife or other hand weapon is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. A hand gun is just more trouble, and you will always be outnumbered.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael -a link to my delivery website is in my profile—
Old 16-08-2020, 13:19   #55

Quote:
I searched the forums for threads about security and only find information about being secure on your boat. What about being safe while out on excursion? Traveling with weapons seems difficult, and some times you turn in your firearm when you enter a country. Not to mention the frequency with which a firearm is used against the owner, or accidentally injures a friend or family member. To me it seems not worth it to be armed if your cruising and crossing borders. Does anyone train martial arts? Self defense? Is this something people consider as part of the skill set of someone living on a boat, and traveling to remote and sometimes less secure regions of the world?

If you have never thought of it before, would basic self defense skills be something you would value for your or your family while cruising?
Dave

Check and see what is legal in the area you are in ?
A machete is common most everywhere you will be hiking.
No on the gun, just not worth the hassle. Fly a large US flag and most of the rest of the world will think you have a machine gun on board. They will go on to the nearest French flagged vessel for easy pickins. Haha
Bear spray and pepper ball pistols will ruin there day If you want to explore the questionable areas.
Closed Thread