Cruisers Forum
 


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2020, 11:45   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Kemah, TX
Boat: Lagoon 42
Posts: 55
Re: Self Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post
Guess you’ll be spending most of the time on the boat.
Nope, I don't stress about being attacked in "third world countries" anymore than I do in my hometown. I don't walk around with a gun at home and I wouldn't feel the need to do so in The Bahamas either... since I've already cruised The Bahamas. Yes, there is the unpredictable but a healthy dose of paranoia (aka forethought) would go a long way in having a good time during your cruising life. I'm not sure where you plan to cruise where you think there is a good chance of being attacked, but maybe a new post asking for some good safe places to visit might be good for you. By the way: I always felt super safe in The Bahamas. Maybe I need to juice up the paranoia some?

Perhaps I should have emphasized the word "Good" in my previous post, but I'll do so here again: I would never go on an excursion if I thought there might be a GOOD (as in likely to occur) chance I'm going to have to disarm someone or choke them out. I'll stay on the boat.

All that unpredictable crime that might happen can happen anywhere. I just don't stress about it, whether I'm on my boat, in The Bahamas, or here in the States which is has plenty of its own crime.
introverted is offline  
Old 15-08-2020, 12:05   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Depends on the month
Boat: 32’ Sloop
Posts: 266
Re: Self Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by introverted View Post
Nope, I don't stress about being attacked in "third world countries" anymore than I do in my hometown. I don't walk around with a gun at home and I wouldn't feel the need to do so in The Bahamas either... since I've already cruised The Bahamas. Yes, there is the unpredictable but a healthy dose of paranoia (aka forethought) would go a long way in having a good time during your cruising life. I'm not sure where you plan to cruise where you think there is a good chance of being attacked, but maybe a new post asking for some good safe places to visit might be good for you. By the way: I always felt super safe in The Bahamas. Maybe I need to juice up the paranoia some?

Perhaps I should have emphasized the word "Good" in my previous post, but I'll do so here again: I would never go on an excursion if I thought there might be a GOOD (as in likely to occur) chance I'm going to have to disarm someone or choke them out. I'll stay on the boat.

All that unpredictable crime that might happen can happen anywhere. I just don't stress about it, whether I'm on my boat, in The Bahamas, or here in the States which is has plenty of its own crime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
There are threads on the topic, lots of those really if you use the search.

But if you haven't felt the need to take a self defensive class at “home” why would you need it for “there”. Except for doing stupid stuff and behavior “home” and “there” are basically the same.
Not all countries are equal, the risk of walking around many South American counties is higher than many Nordic countries, just is what it is.

Depending on your looks, a rich gringo in many places you’ll stand out like a sore thumb, you are going to be a blip on the radar, for the most part it doesn’t matter, sometimes is good for sparking conversation, but there are people who see you as a target, especially in a poor country where they know you probably have waaaay more money than most any local, and have less recourse in a crime.


The gun thing is a very odd yet common stance, I’m not worried about violence any more than I am a fire, medical or mechanical issues, I still am equipped and prepared to resolve the above issues just the same and trusting others to solve my problems is, problematic, anywhere. And yes I carry a gun when able, you’d never know I have it, and to me it’s the same as wearing a watch, not really a big deal, I also carry a little pocket knife which gets used for all sorts of stuff, I have a trauma kit in my car and boat as well, fire extinguishers in cars and the boat, which thankfully I’ve never had to use minus for training before they are recharged/replaced, tools and spare parts, sail mending kit, it’s really all the same, lots of potential problems, best to be equipped and qualified for multiple solutions.
IslandInfedel is offline  
Old 15-08-2020, 12:13   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Kemah, TX
Boat: Lagoon 42
Posts: 55
Re: Self Defense

I guess its your prerogative to carry a gun while on excursions in South America. Just make sure you know the local laws.
introverted is offline  
Old 15-08-2020, 12:50   #19
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 25,667
Images: 2
pirate Re: Self Defense

Guess this is more of an American thing than European.. we tend to blend with the local flora and fauna..
I'd rather eat at the Rib Shack at the side of the road than the Burger bar
run by a paleface.. good food at a third of the price, cheaper booze and lots of laughs more often than not.
They appreciate the custom, I appreciate the ambiance.. especially if there's some domino's games going on...
You soon become known and greeted by all and sundry even walking through Sandy Ground or Phillipsburg or even St Johns at 3am..
"Hey Crocodile.. Hows it going Mon??"
__________________


Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is offline  
Old 15-08-2020, 13:41   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 36
Re: Self Defense

I was a Division 1 wrestler and have been training BJJ for almost 10 years, and am currently a Brown Belt. I agree with every sentiment about avoidance, awareness, and attitude. I also agree about blades. NO ONE wins a knife fight.

I also agree, that actual threat of violence is exceedingly small in regards to the safety of cruising...for all the reasons mentioned.

I suggest that Wrestling and Jiu Jitsu training can nullify significant weight and strength advantages with blue belt-level technique. In fact, that is the definition of a blue belt according to Helio Gracie. Most importantly, however, is the empowerment that training and becoming proficient give an individual. You will not be a victim, you will not walk like a victim, and if someone tried to intimidate, or put hands on you, you would not act like a victim.

I appreciate all the responses, it paints a much safer picture than I would expect as a noob, not knowing anything about the realities of boat life outside the US.
Dpackie is offline  
Old 15-08-2020, 13:59   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bay of Islands New Zealand
Boat: Morgan 44 CC
Posts: 1,023
Re: Self Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post
Guess you’ll be spending most of the time on the boat.

If we could predict these things we wouldn’t have crime.

I am not much of a homebody, I like to explore around and I interact with all sorts, the few times I have been in feisty situations have been in areas you would have never suspected, one reason is soft targets who have the most money are in nicer areas, this is known to victimizers too, hoodlums are not just confined to the hood.
Makes me feel very privileged to live in and cruise in countries where the most likely interface with locals would be an invitation to dinner. If I had to examine the most appropriate response to being attacked on or off my boat while cruising, I would sell my boat and invest in a bunker.

I don’t know nor have I ever met anyone that has been “confronted” in their cruising careers and I’ve cruised to some of the poorest countries on this planet (Mozambique, Madagascar to name a few), the worst I’ve had is my dingy stolen in the middle of the night. Never ever been threatened. If you have, I recommend you expand your geography to include safer environments.
CassidyNZ is offline  
Old 15-08-2020, 14:11   #22
Registered User
 
Fore and Aft's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Gympie
Boat: Volkscruiser
Posts: 1,469
Re: Self Defense

Dpackie the only self defence I practice is hiding the boat bills from the wife! That's the sort of fight I could never win.
But seriously it's going to be plain bad luck if you have an incident anywhere and if you do just give them what they want. I am fairly sure fights are not like in the movies.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline  
Old 15-08-2020, 14:29   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Depends on the month
Boat: 32’ Sloop
Posts: 266
Re: Self Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
Makes me feel very privileged to live in and cruise in countries where the most likely interface with locals would be an invitation to dinner. If I had to examine the most appropriate response to being attacked on or off my boat while cruising, I would sell my boat and invest in a bunker.

I don’t know nor have I ever met anyone that has been “confronted” in their cruising careers and I’ve cruised to some of the poorest countries on this planet (Mozambique, Madagascar to name a few), the worst I’ve had is my dingy stolen in the middle of the night. Never ever been threatened. If you have, I recommend you expand your geography to include safer environments.
You just said someone stole the dingy off the back of your boat while you were sleeping, thankfully they didn’t decide they wanted...more

I haven’t gotten into many issues, I get along fine, but had that been me my dog would have alerted I I wouldn’t have been if the mindset as to donate my dingy

I haven’t had any issues like this on the boat, or exploring via the boat, but I have run into some not so good people in my life, when given the option I just don’t opt to give control and be a victim, thankfully this is quite rare, but so are kitchen fires.
IslandInfedel is offline  
Old 15-08-2020, 15:31   #24
Registered User
 
wingssail's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Posts: 2,896
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Self Defense

Most of us cruising have not had confrontations like that. In 25 years and 35 countries we've just not felt unsafe (well, Brazil and some parts of Africa caused us some worries and extra cautions, and many parts of Papua New Guinea we just avoided). We've had wallets taken from our bags, never saw the thieves. But if someone wanted to they could hit us from behind with a body block, knock us to the ground and I don't think any training would prevent that. And if someone is confronting me with a weapon, I'm going to comply, not get into a fight.

People who train in martial arts generally are not doing it so that they can fight with a local in a third world country. I think it is more for fitness thing and a sport. People make it a lifestyle. It's fun and satisfying.

Yes it will surely make you more fit and look less like a victim, But unless I wanted to do it for other reasons, getting into a martial arts program for a couple of years to get skilled enough to help you, ever, it isn't worth it for the amount of risk you face while on excursions in places you cruise.

Otherwise, be cautious, be alert, be aware of your surroundings, don't do stupid things like walk through back alleys in Colon Panama or a barrio in Columbia with a $5000 camera on your person. (I did that in Colon and Columbia and both times I was spotted by policemen, who then escorted me to places of safer photo opportunities)
__________________
Sailing is a sport, an athletic activity, not a sedentary one.
Fred Roswold-Fred & Judy, SV Wings, Mexico
https://wingssail.blogspot.com/
wingssail is offline  
Old 15-08-2020, 15:40   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 36
Re: Self Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Most of us cruising have not had confrontations like that. In 25 years and 35 countries we've just not felt unsafe (well, Brazil and some parts of Africa caused us some worries and extra cautions, and many parts of Papua New Guinea we just avoided). We've had wallets taken from our bags, never saw the thieves. But if someone wanted to they could hit us from behind with a body block, knock us to the ground and I don't think any training would prevent that. And if someone is confronting me with a weapon, I'm going to comply, not get into a fight.

People who train in martial arts generally are not doing it so that they can fight with a local in a third world country. I think it is more for fitness thing and a sport. People make it a lifestyle. It's fun and satisfying.

Yes it will surely make you more fit and look less like a victim, But unless I wanted to do it for other reasons, getting into a martial arts program for a couple of years to get skilled enough to help you, ever, it isn't worth it for the amount of risk you face while on excursions in places you cruise.

Otherwise, be cautious, be alert, be aware of your surroundings, don't do stupid things like walk through back alleys in Colon Panama or a barrio in Columbia with a $5000 camera on your person. (I did that in Colon and Columbia and both times I was spotted by policemen, who then escorted me to places of safer photo opportunities)
I train grappling because it's who I am since a child, and come from generations of wrestlers. My inquiry was as much a probe into this community to see if these skills are valued, or sought.

The fact that so many of you have extensive experience and have not felt unsafe is affirmation for me going forward that I can be confident and adventurous with my family.

I'll always train submission grappling because I find it fascinating and innate. I don't do it to fight, or look for them. I do hope I can find some folks to train with as we bounce around...assuming we get there one day.
Dpackie is offline  
Old 15-08-2020, 15:50   #26
Registered User
 
Fore and Aft's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Gympie
Boat: Volkscruiser
Posts: 1,469
Re: Self Defense

Dpackie if you are travelling with family you will be surprised how friendly people are when you have kids. Our last land travels in Asia we were overwhelmed with kindness and people taking selfies with our blonde kids.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline  
Old 15-08-2020, 16:31   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Kemah, TX
Boat: Lagoon 42
Posts: 55
Re: Self Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpackie View Post
I'll always train submission grappling because I find it fascinating and innate. I don't do it to fight, or look for them. I do hope I can find some folks to train with as we bounce around...assuming we get there one day.
You would excel at BJJ. Join a gym. it is wildly popular all over the world. I fully intend to keep learning from people all around the world. I've already found many gyms near some of my bucket list anchorages that I want to visit.
introverted is offline  
Old 15-08-2020, 16:36   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Depends on the month
Boat: 32’ Sloop
Posts: 266
Re: Self Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61
Guess this is more of an American thing than European.. we tend to blend with the local flora and fauna..
Lol, you don’t.
Unless you physically look like the locals and speak the same dialect and dress the same, you are not fooling anyone, you are the tourist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Dpackie if you are travelling with family you will be surprised how friendly people are when you have kids. Our last land travels in Asia we were overwhelmed with kindness and people taking selfies with our blonde kids.
Cheers
Those are the good people, and most thankfully are

But the victimizers don’t care about your kids, and having kids didn’t make you more of some warrior defender as many dads feel they are, especially if you end up with the “dad bod” lol
If you run into bad folks, having your kids with you is a huge hindrance

Put that Nikon over Jr.’s neck and cross the paths with a poor drug seeker, he’ll rip it off your 6yr olds neck zero hesitation, even if it results in hurting the kid.

In civil places this is not a factor, but go to more depressed countries, or even many liberal 1st world cities like NYC, LA, Chicago, or the no goes in London or Paris and you’re more likely to have a encounter.

Again, like a fire, it’s rare, probably won’t happen, but IF it does, how you handle yourself in short order will make much more of a difference in your future than say, wearing a mask for a 0.3% death rate virus.


“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet”
-Mattis
IslandInfedel is offline  
Old 15-08-2020, 17:02   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Kemah, TX
Boat: Lagoon 42
Posts: 55
Re: Self Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post
In civil places this is not a factor, but go to more depressed countries, or even many liberal 1st world cities like NYC, LA, Chicago, or the no goes in London or Paris and you’re more likely to have a encounter.
The only time I found myself feeling threatened is by a bunch of bubbas in East Texas when my car broke down.
introverted is offline  
Old 15-08-2020, 17:36   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Depends on the month
Boat: 32’ Sloop
Posts: 266
Re: Self Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by introverted View Post
The only time I found myself feeling threatened is by a bunch of bubbas in East Texas when my car broke down.
Fair enough, but I think based on the numbers, if you wear a mask these days, I don’t get how you don’t also carry a sidearm
IslandInfedel is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
self defense - are you trained sailorboy1 General Sailing Forum 124 03-11-2013 10:20
A change of heart regarding self-defense Lodesman Health, Safety & Related Gear 108 09-05-2009 04:18

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:30.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.