Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 14:15   #61

Boat: Peterson 46
We have something similar to MarkJ's. Ours uses 'crimsafe' mesh so looks just like black flyscreen and has no bars on it. Ventilation, security and does not look like we are behind bars!. The aft cabin 'screen' has a cat/pet door built in.
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:37   #62

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
What Marina do you park your boat at?
Depends on where we are.

We have parked for longer periods at:
- Geteborg (Sweden),
- Cadiz (Spain),
- Pasito Blanco (Canary Islands),
- Opua, Westhaven, (NZ),
- Cairns, Darwin (Aus),
- Richards Bay (RSA).

As said, no safety problems. The boat can be left for any longer period there.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:45   #63

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
b,

It was meant as a joke...implying...oh nevermind..LOL
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:28   #64
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky View Post
. Ours uses 'crimsafe' mesh so looks just like black flyscreen .
Also good because the people on the outside can't see in as well, but the view out is good.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:17   #65

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I find it rather disconcerting that I have to live behind "bars" or fake facades to defend my own stuff. It is necessary these days but not particularly enjoyable after working hard and earning the ability to have some nice "shiny" things. I almost wish we could use those "shaped charges."
- - And most currently even the technique of making the motors look old doesn't work. Last year when my brand new Yamaha was stolen while hanging from a halyard .
Unfortunately in some part of the world outboard motors are nearly forms of currency (maybe why I still row compounded by the fact I can’t stand it when the things won’t start). I have heard the same said both in some parts of Australia and the Pacific. On a positive note (well about as positive as we can get on this topic!) a fellow I recently spoke to told me that on certain islands in the Pacific it was the bigger outboards that went missing first. I am kind of guessing a 2 hp won’t push a fishing lugger?

Then like on another thread I am wondering if all the “"bars" or fake facades” do is attract unwanted attention? Regardless, the first thing the insurance companies usually ask is can you lock the cabin? I suppose though “lock” is a much lesser burden than “fortify”?
Old 12-10-2010, 07:17   #66

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
b,

It was meant as a joke...implying...oh nevermind..LOL
No problem, Sir!

I did not get the apparently humorous part probably only because I have never been to the army.

Buhahaha ;-)))

Cheers,
barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 17:26   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
No problem, Sir!

Before I also get in trouble for misrepresenting the “fortify” bit above, what I also meant to say is as in other threads the harder it is to get in the more damage some thieves will cause? So why even bother with bars when the thieves are coming back with a bloody big crow bar and a sledge hammer?

You really just need to take enough precautions so you feel at ease and keep the opportunists away? If you have got an expensive boat with a lot of personal and/or valuable items onboard this might include having someone onboard a lot more often or relying on Marina security?
Old 12-10-2010, 18:29   #68

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Professional thieves, be they on land or sea or marinas will always gain access quickly and efficiently as they are aware of all the possible ways you can "fortify" the boat and how to circumvent them.
- - But those thieves are few and far between as there really isn't enough "value" kept in a boat for them to go to all the trouble. What you will encounter are teens and drug-addicts looking for "penny-ante" stuff to convert into quick cash for their next "fix." This is where making it difficult or requiring them to use logic and knowledge to enter the boat pays off. They proceed to a simpler target and leave you alone. Primarily they are looking for electronics and electronic consumer goods like stereos, computers, cameras, and jewelry/cash. They can only get pennies on the dollar of value from "fences/pawn shops." Boat specific electronics are hard to convert to cash compared to consumer electronics. Unfortunately they do not know that so take anything and everything possible.
- - The current dramatic increase in dinghy motor thefts in the eastern Caribbean is drug addict driven. Motors from both visiting cruisers and local fishermen are all being stolen. There have been several newspaper articles about the situation and it is also acknowledged by the local police that the motors are going to a drug dealer operation in St. Vincent that exchanges the motors directly for drugs. Since it involves cross international border transactions involving countries without military or effective police forces, little or mostly nothing can be done about it unless they are caught in the act.
- - So all that means that we cruisers have to alter our habits and include strong security measures like chains on motors and boats. Also lifting the boats out of the water each night or when not in use for long periods of time. Locking hatches securely, companion way security systems, and defensive strategies for times when confronted by the actual thief.
- - It ain't your grandfather's world anymore. . . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 18:36   #69

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Years ago I was forced to leave our Transpac 49 in Bahia Tortuga (Turtle Bay) on the west coast of Baja and get back to San Diego to pick up parts. I was fortunate to meet a local gentleman and asked him to watch over our boat/home until I returned, about 10 days. His family had been in the village for generations and were well known abalone fishermen. It would have been very poor form to offer him $ but asking a favor was ok. When I returned, the boat which was at anchor had been washed and totally intact. I asked Hector to pass along an honorarium ($) to the local priest and several trash bags filled with near new clothing. He was delighted. When trying to arrange for security in a different country with a different culture, it's a good idea not to follow our instincts we have learned in American Norte... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 18:38   #70

Quote:
What you will encounter are teens and drug-addicts looking for "penny-ante" stuff to convert into quick cash for their next "fix." .
I politely referred to these individuals as “opportunists”. Obviously you have an ICE problem over there as well (plus all the other drugs of addiction dealers love to feed the kids these days)?
Old 13-10-2010, 02:12   #71

I've learned enough over here about taking care of the enemy. Could easily develop for counter-thieving of yachts. I would fell so sorry for the ignorant sucker who tried to board..let alone steal or do harm to me or my family on my boat. It's time we people, all people, start taking back our country..our streets/marina's/mooring's/anchor's and show the thieves we are not going to leave our boats unlocked so they can take what they want..just so long they don't damage anything. F&^% that...you will suffer EXTREME pain!!!
Old 13-10-2010, 03:08   #72

Quote:
I've learned enough over here about taking care of the enemy....,,,,, F&^% that...you will suffer EXTREME pain!!!
Dude, that is getting so militant. Like calling Jihad? For seconds I almost had Christian thoughts about forgiveness as an alternate to the buckets of blood you are looking for.

On a serious note, in common law countries there is a defence called “defence of property”. Nevertheless, this defence has its limits. Actions such as beating persons to near death and setting man-traps are well outside of those limits. In most of these cases the person arguing they were “protecting” their property can end up in a lot deeper water than the alleged thief.

If it was not for these limitations we could all happily rely on your military technology to do all sorts of brilliant things with automated systems from electrocuting to wounding the alleged offenders without trial. Till those laws relax we are probably just going to have to moor around people we trust and rely, simple old locks and maybe even some security screens or a basic alarm?

(Noting also I promised the moderators I would not get involved in any more emotionally fuelled or opinionated debates, so I am about to hit “unsubscribe”.)
Old 13-10-2010, 03:10   #73

Boat: Maxi 77
Quote:
.... and defensive strategies for times when confronted by the actual thief.

Hmmm, I much more prefer the offensive strategies if/when I get to chance to confront the thief..
oc, that´s easier here than in many countries since it´s extremely rare that thieves wear guns here
KillerBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 03:23   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Dude, that is getting so militant. Like calling Jihad? For seconds I almost had Christian thoughts about turning forgiveness as an alternate to the buckets of blood you are looking for.
Shane, not meant as militant, just protecting my life, liberty, property and family. I've read this whole thread..been a part of this thread. You can unsubscribe if you like..that is your perogative. Or I can stop posting in this thread. Someone just let me know if leaving your boats unlocked to allow theft in leiu of property damge is the "going" thing..I apologize for not having those sediments. There are people everywhere that plainly post on their property you will be shot for tresspassing. Florida has a gun law that basically allows you to shot someone if you feel your life is threatened. A persons boat should not be treated any different. It is their home...their property.

Quote:
On a serious note, in common law countries there is a defence called “defence of property”. Nevertheless, this defence has its limits. Actions such as beating persons to near death and setting man-traps are well outside of those limits. In most of these cases the person arguing they were “protecting” their property can end up in a lot deeper water than the alleged thief.

Unfortunately for our legal system, you are correct...and that is sad. Not only do we have this error in our system. When I was growing up, my Dad would have never have thought that a child could "divorce" their parents. Or a parent correcting their children in a public place could get a visit from police bacuse someone called it in. Rules are made to help and some people and lawyers goto school to learn how to use those same rules to hurt..

Quote:
If it was not for these limitations we could all happily rely on your military technology to do all sorts of brilliant things from electrocuting to wounding the alleged offenders without trial.

Without trial no......however what we are talking about is a person catching a thief on their property...don't think a trial will be needed.

Quote:
Till those laws relax we are probably just going to have to moor around people we trust and rely on simple old locks and maybe even some security screens or a basic alarm?

This is true sir

Quote:
(Noting also I promised the moderators I would not get involved in any more emotionally fuelled or opinionated debates, so I am about to hit “unsubscribe”.)
Old 13-10-2010, 03:25   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBoo View Post
Hmmm, I much more prefer the offensive strategies if/when I get to chance to confront the thief..
oc, that´s easier here than in many countries since it´s extremely rare that thieves wear guns here
Before I go I am not saying you are not allowed to restrain the person even in some jujitsu submission lock that might have the inadvertent effect of inflicting extreme pain. (Bit like the old joke about them falling down the stairs or jumping headfirst into the wharf, but let’s not go there!).

You just have to be sensible about these things! Like a fellow who is now a Court Prosecutor told me back when he was a Barrister; all is usually good till he had to explain why his client needed to get in the couple of extra kicks to the guy’s head while he was lying comatose on the concrete.

I note, this is definitely NOT legal advice and proceed at your own discretion after having personally researched the area of laws mentioned in this thread.

Tags
security