Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 09:54   #16

Boat: Morgan 45 CC
Send a message via MSN to betachz Send a message via Yahoo to betachz
oh, and what do you do with your dingy? Do you leave it on the boat usually when you leave for days and get a ride from a neighbor, or do most marinas allow you to store your dingy somewhere. Sorry if this is a newbie quesiton, just trying to get my head around the logistics of it all.
betachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:04   #17

There is a hidden cubby hole on every boat, Usually you will discover it after living aboard for some time. Find yours and put your docs , travelers checks etc in there. Other than that, if someone wants in they are going to get in.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:02   #18

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
I want to get one of those fake stickers that says "This vessel has a worldwide satellite gps tracking system inside the mast" Does someone have a better wording?

Also if you have speakers and a computer, maybe you can program it to say things like "Go away or the boat will self destruct in 30 seconds"
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:42   #19

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
geckosenator - a fake alarm system, key fobs, blinking light and stickers.
Simulated Alarm System Options

I am still looking for the real deal.

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:38   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefaa View Post
geckosenator - a fake alarm system, key fobs, blinking light and stickers.
Simulated Alarm System Options

I am still looking for the real deal.
301 is Fake but 101, 201, 401 are the "Real Deal"
Old 12-01-2010, 08:41   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckosenator View Post
I want to get one of those fake stickers that says "This vessel has a worldwide satellite gps tracking system inside the mast" Does someone have a better wording? ...
'Hidden' & 'inside the mast' seem (imo) to be conflicted.

How about:
"This vessel is equipped with a worldwide satellite gps tracking & security system."

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:14   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
'Hidden' & 'inside the mast' seem (imo) to be conflicted.

How about:
"This vessel is equipped with a worldwide satellite gps tracking & security system."

The link above to the "Simulated Alarm System" has stickers you can buy from an actual ALARM SYSTEM COMPANY for $3 each.

"Model 401 boat alarm options"
Old 12-01-2010, 10:04   #23

I've recently added a GSM alarm on my boat. I got it off Ebay for about $200. It uses a standard SIM (in the US that can be Tmobile or ATT). The SIM was free and has no contract - I just pay $0.10 per SMS sent.

The alarm was meant for a car but works great on a boat. It has a temperature monitor and a voltage monitor. It sends an SMS to my phone if either falls too far. I can also use my phone anytime to send an SMS to my boat and it will respond with an SMS in a few seconds that tells me the status. It can also call other phone numbers to show that an alarm SMS was sent. When the boat's in a marina, I can use it to montitor the AC shore power by telling it to send me an alarm if the voltage ever falls below 13v since that happens when the battery charger isn't working.

The unit also has a bunch of other inputs that can be connected to a switch or relay on the boat - such as a water level sensor, burglar alarm sensors, engine ignition etc. It also has three outputs so that I can send a message to the boat to turn on or turn off something (haven't figured out what to use this for - I guess I could text the boat at night from the dinghy to turn on the spreader lights when I can't find her.)

Some units come with GPS but I didn't get that since it uses power and I figured one of the other alarms would go off before the boat could be stolen.

This is the one I got.

GSM alarm AUTODIAL SMS Pager Home/House/Car/Boat/Moto - eBay (item 370263562090 end time Jan-19-10 10:13:09 PST)

There are others on Ebay - some might be better. If you are in the US be sure to get one that supports the US frequencies. Installing mine wasn't hard but it is a bit of a technical and wiring adventure. You program by connecting it via USB to a computer that's running some downloaded software.

Carl

Note: This alarm is no replacement for my first line of defense - someone local who has my cell phone number who will keep an eye on the boat. I've also never had anything stolen off of my boat in 30 years of ownership. Theft is pretty far down my list of concerns (leaks, fire, dragging, dead batteries, and being hit by another boat) are all higher.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:24   #24
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

What US GSM carrier will give you a free SIM, no contract, and a dime per SMS? I thought TMob and AT&T both charged 20c per text message and required either a prepaid phone or a contract on top of that?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:15   #25

They hide it as best they can. They really want to sell you a contract.

Here's the link to the "Pay as you go" Prepaid TMobile plan - $.10/SMS to send $.05/SMS receive. The SIM card has gone up a bit. A few months ago it was free now it's $7 (actually $6 since it comes with 10 minutes pre-loaded). You can refill the account over the internet with a credit card in $10 amounts. The purchased minutes expire in 90 days so I keep the balance low.

Unsupported Browser

You do need a GSM phone to activate the card before you put it in the alarm. Alternatively, you can buy a prepaid phone and sim through Tmobile for $20 and keep the phone after you take out the SIM.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 14:04   #26

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
Please keep in mind that if the value of the item is the data that you should be making BACKUPS.. A DVD copy of important data ( or 2 copies) sent occasionally to some safe place....
GMail is good for this providing about 7.5 gb of off site storage

Easy to set up multiple accounts if needed and accessible from any machine in the world
Old 12-01-2010, 14:31   #27

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
When we cruised Indonesia and wanted to leave the boat for any length of time we anchored off a small village and then arrange a meeting with the village head "kampong Besar". We asked him if he would watch our boat for us and it was always a great honour for them . We did this on three occasions and never had a problem. We were never asked for money but we always brought back gifts. We would never try this in a big town, anywhere. Sad isn't it.
On the other hand, I know of boats that had 6 volt electric fences rigged along lifelines. The electric fence could deliver 10 000 volts @ low amps. A wet boat in the water makes a great earth. I actually bought a system but my wife wouldn't let me fit it (spoil sport). I don't know why she thought I'd forget whether it was on or not ? I told her if she didn't trust me she could test it.
Of course, this is illegal in Australia (probably most countries) something to do with it effecting heart monitors.
I wonder if police ask if you are wearing a pacemaker before they tazar you ?

Jim
jpemb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 17:17   #28
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"The purchased minutes expire in 90 days so I keep the balance low."
Ten dollars every 90 days to keep the "phone" alive, plus a dime per SMS. That IS a bargain!

Jim-
It would be illegal in the US and pretty much anyplace that follows English common law traditions, too.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 02:06   #29
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I've recently added a GSM alarm on my boat. I got it off Ebay for about $200. It uses a standard SIM (in the US that can be Tmobile or ATT). The SIM was free and has no contract - I just pay $0.10 per SMS sent.

The alarm was meant for a car but works great on a boat. It has a temperature monitor and a voltage monitor. It sends an SMS to my phone if either falls too far. I can also use my phone anytime to send an SMS to my boat and it will respond with an SMS in a few seconds that tells me the status. It can also call other phone numbers to show that an alarm SMS was sent. When the boat's in a marina, I can use it to montitor the AC shore power by telling it to send me an alarm if the voltage ever falls below 13v since that happens when the battery charger isn't working.

The unit also has a bunch of other inputs that can be connected to a switch or relay on the boat - such as a water level sensor, burglar alarm sensors, engine ignition etc. It also has three outputs so that I can send a message to the boat to turn on or turn off something (haven't figured out what to use this for - I guess I could text the boat at night from the dinghy to turn on the spreader lights when I can't find her.)

Some units come with GPS but I didn't get that since it uses power and I figured one of the other alarms would go off before the boat could be stolen.

This is the one I got.

GSM alarm AUTODIAL SMS Pager Home/House/Car/Boat/Moto - eBay (item 370263562090 end time Jan-19-10 10:13:09 PST)

There are others on Ebay - some might be better. If you are in the US be sure to get one that supports the US frequencies. Installing mine wasn't hard but it is a bit of a technical and wiring adventure. You program by connecting it via USB to a computer that's running some downloaded software.

Carl

Note: This alarm is no replacement for my first line of defense - someone local who has my cell phone number who will keep an eye on the boat. I've also never had anything stolen off of my boat in 30 years of ownership. Theft is pretty far down my list of concerns (leaks, fire, dragging, dead batteries, and being hit by another boat) are all higher.
Carl, this looks good, I could not find the bildge water alarm or security parts-- is it still working good>??
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 02:11   #30

Stuff only gets stolen in the USA, so far. Almost never lock the boat. If it is locked the combo is written on the lock so they don't need to crowbar the hatchboards off. Don't take anything on a boat you can't afford to loose. Try to get a slip next to a fellow yachtie.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
security