Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 19-07-2012, 03:21   #91

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
Re: Security. What do You Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
The most common security problem on cruising boats, BY FAR, is theft.

Greg
True I have not seen my boat for 2 months, and we get one or two emails a year where someones boat has been trashed. so id be a bit late to shoot them.

Old 19-07-2012, 03:48   #92

Boat: Building a Seaclipper 24

No affiliation with the company but here is a link to a company selling systems and devices for boat intruder alert/theft protection systems. It has some interesting devices such as pressure plates, deck sensors and advanced motion detectors with IR and microwave confirmation and sway compensation. Flagship Marine Security - Quality Boat Alarms
I'm sure there are plenty of others out there to get ideas from.
Old 19-07-2012, 04:13   #93

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDog View Post
No affiliation with the company but here is a link to a company selling systems and devices for boat intruder alert/theft protection systems. It has some interesting devices such as pressure plates, deck sensors and advanced motion detectors with IR and microwave confirmation and sway compensation. Flagship Marine Security - Quality Boat Alarms
I'm sure there are plenty of others out there to get ideas from.
That's a great site with good kits, i'll be looking into their systems more the following is interesting......

Some alarms such as the FS301DSP-Z series from Flagship Marine Security provide early notification of on-deck activity that could cause a false alarm utilizing Quad-Tech motion sensors. Look-Out motion detectors incorporate four internal microwave and PIR sensors that all must agree with each other before the alarm is activated. Look-Out motion detectors are usually used by larger vessels that are traveling internationally, boats anchored in unpopulated areas that can be boarded from many directions or for monitor boarding traffic.

The Flagship Marine Security alarms activate a mini-siren and boarding lights for six seconds instead of sounding the main siren output. This eliminates disturbing fellow boaters and the sudden fright of a large siren response. During the six seconds, if another zone is violated all sirens sound. Only quality outside Quad-Tech motion sensors should be used. Look-Out motion sensors can also be connected to pre-warning zones.

Cheers and thanks...
Old 19-07-2012, 04:26   #94
CLOD

Boat: none

Other than just locking the doors (but probably leaving windows open with ony a screen between the outside and the inside) I wonder how many of the things on this thread people do at their house?

Do people really get a dog, on a boat, just for security?

Do your anchor/mooring neighbours enjoy your spot lights and horns everytime someone goes by in their dinghy?

I wonder how some of you manage to ever sleep on your boat.
Old 19-07-2012, 04:47   #95
Armchair Bucketeer

What folks in these threads never say is that they want to be (or just feel?) "safe" - both cheaply and by doing SFA for themselves.

But the world don't really work like that.

But the good news is that crime against boats and crews is rare - simply because if that was not the case the bodies would be piled up 6 deep.............and given the effort that many put into own welfare arguably deservedly so

Next time around I am gonna marry a (female!) NINJA
Old 19-07-2012, 04:51   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Other than just locking the doors (but probably leaving windows open with ony a screen between the outside and the inside) I wonder how many of the things on this thread people do at their house?

Do people really get a dog, on a boat, just for security?

Do your anchor/mooring neighbours enjoy your spot lights and horns everytime someone goes by in their dinghy?

I wonder how some of you manage to ever sleep on your boat.
Do you ever read threads completely?

There's has been much discussion between the ******** macho gun stuff regarding false alarms and sensors not suitable......

Spotlights? Activated by a dinghy going past??? Never seen that yet, the sensors that have been most talked about are deck, pressure or movement in the cockpit. Passing dinghies is just silly.

Dogs on boats? I've known quite a few to have them on coastal live-aboards but none foreign going, never annoyed anyone UNLESS you went onboard uninvited.
Old 19-07-2012, 05:01   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
What folks in these threads never say is that they want to be (or just feel?) "safe" - both cheaply and by doing SFA for themselves.

But the world don't really work like that.

But the good news is that crime against boats and crews is rare - simply because if that was not the case the bodies would be piled up 6 deep.............and given the effort that many put into own welfare arguably deservedly so

Next time around I am gonna marry a (female!) NINJA

Really? To put an alarm on your boat, to sense someone that has boarded your boat to releive you of an outboard or fishing rod, laptop etc is doing nothing????

Bodies piling up 6 deep WTF? This isn't a pirate thread.

Cheaply? To properly equip a boat will likely cost 500 to a K, our boat is worth 500K and has no security alarms zilch! A 10,000 motor car has more.....
Old 19-07-2012, 10:54   #98
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Do you ever read threads completely?
yes I do, which is how I could made a general question about has been posted in a 3 page thread instead of responding to just the last 5 posts on it!
Old 19-07-2012, 11:26   #99

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Pretty stickers on the side and back steps in a language for areas I travel will be one thing I'd probably have along with the promised security camera and alarm.

กล้องรักษาความปลอดภัยและการเตือนภัย
keamanan kamera dan alarm
kamera keselamatan dan penggera
សន្តិសុខ ប្រដាប់ថតរូប តែ់ ការភ្ញាក់ផ្អើល់

I had "No Shoes" on the last cat and that worked well with everyone but Australian Customs.
Old 19-07-2012, 12:03   #100

Boat: 48' Hi Star

We have one of these for our dinghy

Alarm It Stainless Steel Alarmed Cable Lock Systems

We also have a motion detector and pressure pad in the saloon (from Flagship, mentioned in a previous post).

We have a solar powered-motion detector light on the sundeck and I'm thinking of some sort of noise alarm for that area, too. We are on a motor vessel with a sun-deck area in back.

So far, no problems, but we haven't anchored out much yet. We'll start heading south and out of the USA in a few months.
Old 19-07-2012, 12:20   #101

Boat: Building a Seaclipper 24

Below is a photo of Security teams Alpha and Bravo who guard our home in Costa Rica. I'm thinking that they would not be a good fit on a sailboat however. They might be too big to turn around in some cabins and besides the black dog is blind. They are however the local sensations on the beach and no one would enter our house to mess with them. Secondly we are on very good terms with our local neighbors. They are like family and look out for us as we look out for them. Third we have bars on our windows. I think some kind of grating to seal off the cabins at night might be one deterrent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01-28-11 339s.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	43741  
Old 19-07-2012, 13:05   #102

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDog View Post
Third we have bars on our windows.
So do these guys

Old 19-07-2012, 13:26   #103
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
So do these guys

hey that's my brother-in-laws place and kids, how did you get that?
Old 29-07-2012, 21:27   #104

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45
Re: Security ..What do You Do? - Dingy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
Other than a dog, I think the motion detector connected to alarm and lights is the best way to go, but I wonder how to avoid false alarms in any kind of windy situation. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has successfully used one. An alternative that I saw posted on another thread is a pressure sensitive sensor(s) in the cockpit floor. Just make sure to turn it off before you go out to check the rudder in the middle of the night

My sense is that dinghy theft is one of the biggest problems, even if they are locked, so an alarm trigger connected to the dinghy might also be a good idea. I do a lot of bareboat chartering out of St Martin and dinghy theft has been on the rise there (bareboat insurance does not cover the dinghy). I have been trying to come up with a simple alarm system that I can pack in a suitcase. There are lots of different travel alarms on line, any recommendations?

If you are handy, you can install a deck plate in the bottom of the dingy and take it out when you have it on deck and on teh beach. If they try to use it, it will sink. An 8" hole in the bottom is hard to keep water out of, and makes it much less appealing to dirtbags
Old 30-07-2012, 04:58   #105

Boat: private yacht always moving
Re: Security ..What do You Do? - Dingy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookoutnw View Post
If you are handy, you can install a deck plate in the bottom of the dingy and take it out when you have it on deck and on teh beach. If they try to use it, it will sink. An 8" hole in the bottom is hard to keep water out of, and makes it much less appealing to dirtbags
why would anybody put a hole in a perfectly good dingy floor????

makes no since

why ruin the bottom
Closed Thread

Tags
security