Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-09-2012, 17:08   #181

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Security - What do You Do ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
This thread is foolish. Threats of blinding people, killing people.

Very small padlocks so the boat is not torn up and insurance to cover the perils of a significant loss.
Don't think the thread is at all foolish, my point was essentially that we do little about securing our boats yet we purchase motor vehicle's that at the very least have a central locking alarm system, some postings may be foolish but not the thread methinks?
Cheers
Old 28-09-2012, 17:57   #182
Lt.

To quote an old dead US president "Walk softy and carry a big stick."

Basically have a good alarm system, but don't go crazy like your expecting a fight, because you should avoid the fight to begin with. But a good loud alarm and some bright lights up on the mast to illuminate the deck, then a sturdy door to each cabin and then a heavy duty hatch to the below decks and your set for the average robber.

After that keep a flare and fire extinguisher with you inside. Shoot them with the flare them scare the s*** out of them and do damage control with the extinguisher incase they keep coming Because if they don't run off after the lights and music, then they probably mean to do serious harm for any of a million reasons. And if need be beat them with the extinguisher.

So far nothing that you should need a permit or anything to own, or shouldn't be readily available anywhere in th world in my plan of defense, plus all of that stuff seems to be standard equipment on most boats. I suggest investing in some magelites (thats the name of the brand, I'm not misspelling) as well because they're bright, incredibly durable, and they make a great whoopin stick.
Old 28-09-2012, 19:46   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
They probably would have realised after the first time that they lived in a sh#thole.

and moved.

but likely they had the smarts in the first place not to live somewhere that they needed a gun to defend themselves inside own house .
Doesn't always work that way. I know an older gentleman that lives in an upscale neighborhood with minimum 1/2 acre lots. This is the same neighborhood that two famous entertainers lived in at the time. Long story short, two thugs did a home invasion while he was home. They both left the house feet first. I have no doubt they had intended to harm this fellow had he not exercised his second amendment rights then and there.
-Bruce

Old 28-09-2012, 20:09   #184

Boat: Wanted 45' Hunter center cockpit

I'm guessing that keeping them off in the first place would be pretty important too, i bet they would be pretty scared of robbing you if you had a sign that said "tresspassers will be shot" on the side.
Old 29-09-2012, 02:25   #185
Lt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklet321
I'm guessing that keeping them off in the first place would be pretty important too, i bet they would be pretty scared of robbing you if you had a sign that said "tresspassers will be shot" on the side.
"trespassers will be shot, survivors Will be shot again"would be better.
Old 29-09-2012, 02:55   #186
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklet321 View Post
You really know how to get on with the locals.....

Old 29-09-2012, 08:07   #187

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post

. I suggest investing in some magelites (thats the name of the brand, I'm not misspelling)

Err............ummmm...............

I think it might be spelled Maglite

Unless you mean Maggies drawers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31hiX4mRwqL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	47369  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (76.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 29-09-2012, 09:03   #188

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Bruce

Actually i'm an accomplished shot with both pistols and rifles. With a 40 cal. I can put as many rounds as you want me to in a 4 inch circle at 50 feet.

With a rifle, i'm good out to about 300 feet.

But the fact that i've been around guns and shot them for 50 odd years doesn't mean i think they should be laying around everywhere nor should they be able to be purchased without some sort of registration.

Regarding protecting my family, do I have a gun at home, no

Nor do i feel the need for one. If a home invasion occurs, then they can take whatever they like, i'll help them carry it out. Things are only things.

Should they want to harm me or mine, i'll take whatever steps i can.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 29-09-2012, 09:30   #189

Boat: Heritage East 40

"Nor do i feel the need for one. If a home invasion occurs, then they can take whatever they like, i'll help them carry it out. Things are only things.

Should they want to harm me or mine, i'll take whatever steps i can. "

Carsten,
Sorry, this is a fools errand. You will not be able to defend yourself once they decide to take what they want. You would end up dead, after watching your family raped and murdered. Good luck with your plan... I refuse to be a victim. You can certainly live your life as you see fit and I will as well.
Old 29-09-2012, 12:25   #190
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Heron View Post
................ You can certainly live your life as you see fit and I will as well.
Let these wise words be taken seriously before continuing with a further debate hashing over old repeated ideas.
Old 29-09-2012, 14:07   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Heron View Post
You can certainly live your life as you see fit and I will as well.
And this is part of the problem as I see it. People, both here and in other countries seem to want to dictate to myself and others how I may, or may not choose to defend myself.
For the most part I see this as "None of the other countries business, PERIOD!" This includes England, Canada, Germany, Japan, etc, etc.
This also includes the do gooders in my own country that would like to impose their wishes and desires on me.
I'm not trying to enforce my personal belief's upon anybody else, and they should in turn afford me the same respect.
OK, stepping down off my soapbox.
-Bruce

Old 29-09-2012, 15:10   #192
Lt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy

Err............ummmm...............

I think it might be spelled Maglite

Unless you mean Maggies drawers.
Stupid phone predictive text....but YEP, that's it, the 3-D cell LED ones.
Old 29-09-2012, 15:14   #193
Lt.

Dear Carsten,

Should "they" want to harm, chances are there ain't nothin you can do do but pray and kiss your, and your families a$$e$ goodbye.
People always think the great mighty police will save them, well there right, they will, if you won't require saving for roughly 10-15 minutes after you make the phone call, if your able to make a call. (where I live, I'd be lucky if police got here within an hour) Police are a reactionary force, so I like to think of it this way, I want to be able to hold my own for 20 minutes, enough time to call authorities and then wait for them to show up.
Old 29-09-2012, 16:16   #194
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj
And this is part of the problem as I see it. People, both here and in other countries seem to want to dictate to myself and others how I may, or may not choose to defend myself.
For the most part I see this as "None of the other countries business, PERIOD!" This includes England, Canada, Germany, Japan, etc, etc.
This also includes the do gooders in my own country that would like to impose their wishes and desires on me.
I'm not trying to enforce my personal belief's upon anybody else, and they should in turn afford me the same respect.
OK, stepping down off my soapbox.
-Bruce
Countries are not governed by " personal beliefs" you can't do everything you like just because its a " personal belief". Countries are generally governed by the " common good". The " common good" regularly decides to limit your actions , irrespective of your " personal beliefs".

I prefer Germany, I can drive the best cars in the world at upto 155mph in some places. They can have my guns , give me an M5 any day. ( mind you they have very liberal gun laws in Germany too )

Dave
Old 29-09-2012, 16:35   #195

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Countries are not governed by " personal beliefs" you can't do everything you like just because its a " personal belief". Countries are generally governed by the " common good". The " common good" regularly decides to limit your actions , irrespective of your " personal beliefs".

I prefer Germany, I can drive the best cars in the world at upto 155mph in some places. They can have my guns , give me an M5 any day. ( mind you they have very liberal gun laws in Germany too )

Dave

Common good is nothing more than a bunch of people agreeing on their personal beliefs and putting that down as law.

Tags
security