Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 27-09-2012, 21:21   #166
Lt.

"Victims who shoot back tend to live longer"... Think of it this way, a criminal is going to have a gun one way or another, legal or not. He's a criminal so he doesn't care about the law. So getting a gun gives him an advantage over the the majority of people in countries where it's illegal to have guns. But if the law abiding people get to have guns, than the "playing field" is potentially evened. I mean really, is a criminal going to break into the big house or fancy yacht if he even thinks, that the owner might have a gun. Or is he going to break into the little house or shabby yacht with the anti gun activist. Hmmm....
To quote an old dead US president "Walk softy and carry a big stick."

Basically have a good alarm system, but don't go crazy like your expecting a fight, because you should avoid the fight to begin with. But a good loud alarm and some bright lights up on the mast to illuminate the deck, then a sturdy door to each cabin and then a heavy duty hatch to the below decks and your set for the average robber. After that keep a flare and fire extinguisher with you inside. Shoot them with the flare them scare the s*** out of them and do damage control with the extinguisher incase they keep coming Because if they don't run off after the lights and music, then they probably mean to do serious harm for any of a million reasons. And if need be beat them with the extinguisher. So far nothing that shouldn't illegal in my plan of defense. And I suggest investing in some magelites (thats the name of the brand, I'm not misspelling) because they're bright, incredibly durable, and they make a great "whoopin stick".

As for gun rights, ill finish with how they also have many exhibitional uses, like competitive shooting, and then there's also those people who like to hunt for their own m eat, instead of relying on stores to have food. It's a way of being self sufficient.
My home is protected by god and a gun. Come in uninvited and you might see both. I suppose my yacht will be the same way someday.
Old 27-09-2012, 21:35   #167
Lt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey

Actually I am in a small outpost of the Empire (the last one?) - our gun laws are very liberal , except no concealed carry laws. Not only can folk own handguns (unlike in England) but also semi-automatics. and even stuff that needs a tripod . I suspect Bazookas are probably out though. probably.
In America I can own a gun legally anywhere I go, I just have to go through a lot more hoops in some places.

I don't have to travel to the final far flung vestiges of a dead empire that has no power real power over its so called commonwealth and is still crumbling as we speak.
Old 27-09-2012, 23:30   #168

Re: Security - What do You Do ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Heron View Post
But you Brits have it all figured out. Take a look at your own firearm homicide rates. Telling.
I decided to chime in here and actually took a look at them.
Firearm related homicides per 100,000 people in England is 0.07.
Firearm related homicides per 100,000 people in the USA is 59 times higher at 4.14.

So for every one person killed in England with a gun, 346 people are killed in the states.
Old 27-09-2012, 23:55   #169
Lt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delay
Firearm related homicides per 100,000 people in the USA is 59 times higher at 4.14.

So for every one person killed in England with a gun, 346 people are killed in the states.
But what is the overall murder rate?
Old 28-09-2012, 00:01   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
But what is the overall murder rate?
Using the same method;
USA 4.2/100,000 (total 12996)
United Kingdom 1.2/100,000 (total 722)

And for the record, I'm going to defend my numbers here by saying that it was just a quick wiki search of "firearm related homicides by country" and "homicides by country". If you want the sources you can find them down the bottom of the wiki pages. By the logic of the numbers above, it means that non-firearm related homicides account for 0.06/100,000 in the States, which seems like an unusually low number.
Old 28-09-2012, 00:44   #171
Lt.

should've said overall violent crime rate.
Old 28-09-2012, 05:55   #172

Boat: Heritage East 40

Delay,
My point exactly. Firearms are illegal and banned in UK with the exception of certain shotguns and curios. Following the logic, there should be ZERO firearm homicides....
One Delta in the math calculations, is how many crimes and deaths were PREVENTED due to a law abiding citizen using a firearm for defense? I know the numbers would be zero for the UK...
Old 28-09-2012, 06:19   #173

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Let's get some facts on the table here. First firearms are not banned nor are they illegal in the UK. Many people still hunt and shotguns abound. So do rifles etc. But you do have to register your firearms.

There is a fair sized difference between something being illegal and banned and something need to be registered.

You have to register your car in the US - does this mean cars are illegal and banned in the US?

Think about it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 28-09-2012, 08:13   #174

Boat: Heritage East 40

carsten, recommend you read the entire sentence. I DID state with the exception of shotguns and curios. You CANNOT own a handgun in the UK so that is a BAN. The vast majority of the United States does not require a "registration" of any weapon, handgun or rifle.

If that works for you guys across the pond, then great, it doesnt suit me or the other 80 million Americans who own firearms. But then again it was the American Gun Culture that also resisted tyranny in all of its forms.
Old 28-09-2012, 10:21   #175

Boat: Gulfstar 43 ketch

Who needs guns when you have a bad ass attack wiener.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clark.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	47341  
Old 28-09-2012, 11:47   #176
Lt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbudd
Who needs guns when you have a bad ass attack wiener.
Them are some mean little dogs, and I must say ive never met a wiener dog that likeed me. They all hate me.
Old 28-09-2012, 12:04   #177

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delay View Post

Yeah, but 300 of those 346 we kill are Brits.
Old 28-09-2012, 14:11   #178

Boat: Brayndlmeyer 40 custom
Hey guys, just because a firearm is registered does not mean a death will not occur with a firearm, you or anyone else can obtain a firearm illegally and you or anyone else can kill a person any where in the world with that firearm, registration will never and could never be a deciding factor in deaths with a firearm.
I own firearms and the chances of someone dying from my firearms are slim to none only because I have no desire to do so, however, if someone stole my firearms and killed someone else with it is based on the fact that the person behind the trigger caused that death not the registration or lack of.
Old 28-09-2012, 14:38   #179

Over the years gone by, I have had "two" home invasion's/burgularys while I was at home. "Both" times the suspected bad guy found himself inspecting the muzzle of a hand gun up close and personal. For some reason they "both" decided it was best to leave quickly. (remember, these were two separate instances)
The only reason they didn't go to jail is because they both ran, and I wasn't going to chase them.
Now I have to ask Delay and carstenb what would you guys have done?
-Bruce

Old 28-09-2012, 16:54   #180
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
Now I have to ask Delay and carstenb what would you guys have done?
-Bruce
They probably would have realised after the first time that they lived in a sh#thole.

and moved.

but likely they had the smarts in the first place not to live somewhere that they needed a gun to defend themselves inside own house .

Besides, it's not as if you need a gun to kill someone. Usually a bit of good old fashioned determination does the trick . Most people don't really expect events to get terminal - even during. and everyone gets soggy sooner or later.
Closed Thread

Tags
security