Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 23-06-2013, 23:32   #421
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Security - What do You Do ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
So then, why are you minding ours now?
-Bruce
Hi Bruce,

Because it interfears in the lives of other cruisers.

Gary, better do some real research.

Between 1980 and 1996 there had been a number of mass shootings in Australia. Since the mass shooting in 1996 that caused our change of gun laws there has not been any mass shootings in Australia.

Quote:
Many factors can influence gun violence, so the impact of the Australian reforms is oft debated. However, one thing is clear – the number of firearm homicides and firearm suicides has dramatically decreased. The Australian homicide rate is only 1.2 per 100,000 people, far lower than the American homicide rate of about 5 per 100,000 people. Firearms are used in less than 15 percent of homicides in Australia, compared with 67 percent of homicides in America.

Prior to the introduction of the gun laws, 112 people were killed in 11 mass shootings in Australia. Since the implementation of the gun laws, there have been no comparable gun massacres in Australia.

Remarkably, though, some gun advocates in the U.S. argue that Australian gun laws have actually increased crime. It’s a strange claim considering the reality of the statistics. And on closer inspection of the numbers it is clear that gun advocates are engaging in some statistical sleights of hand, including the cherry picking of data.
For example, NRA News reported statistics from the Australian state of New South Wales suggesting that “in the inner west, robberies committed with firearms skyrocketed more than 70 percent over the previous year.” Rather than giving the national trend over many years, NRA News chose one part of one city in one state over just a two year period. In contrast, robberies using firearms across Australia have declined from more than 1,500 cases per year in the 1990s to 1,100 per year.

Sometimes, advocates simply invent statistics. One infomercial claims, “[Australian] gun murders increased 19 percent.” This is simply wrong – firearms are now used less in robberies, homicides and kidnappings than they were in the 1990s. Yet even after then-Australian Attorney General Daryl Williams complained to the NRA over the infomercial, no action was reportedly taken, and anyone viewing it today is likely to be unaware of this gross factual error.
http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn....n-crime-stats/

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 24-06-2013, 00:07   #422

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Thousands of U.S. still in Korea.
Old 24-06-2013, 04:32   #423
CLOD

Boat: none

"facts", "guns", "crime", "statics" .............. words used to "win" an argument where the only real thing that matters to you is that everyone agrees with YOU!

But I'm sick tody so keep it coming as I need the entertainment!
Old 24-06-2013, 04:51   #424
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The vast majority of facts on other countries by the NRA and pro-gun in the US advocates are utterly misleading, selective or plain lies. This includes so called facts about Switzerland, crime statistics in the UK and elsewhere, inter war years German gun policy , etc etc. A cursory reading of history on the internet will point out the nonsense.

Im a target shooting fan, I own quite a few guns, but I have no time for such advocacy issues.

As to who helped who in what battle, what has that go to do with anything.

And mark , I just loved, loved your monty python-esque piece on cruiser gun issues, Im still laughing.

The other things folks gun-control in most countries, certainly Europe, Oz etc, is generally a popular public position, given a chance moms and pops in these countries would remove all legally held firearms . Legislators often have to go against popular opinion to ensure target shooters etc can get access to large calibre firearms etc. Its not the "gubberment" taking "our guns" , its the citizens actually

PS: I can license silencers, can you!!

dave
Old 24-06-2013, 05:03   #425
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Since this has degenerated. I find it odd that non u.s. citizens preach and rally against the u.s. constitution. I think the term used to be busy body. Maybe nosy Nelly across the pond.
Reminds me of the u.k. group that called people in Ohio in the middle of the night (time zones? What are those? ) to tell them which person to vote for in OUR election. Weird behavior.
Sailor g nice system! But I'm sure some would consider that cruel and unusual.
People have opinions on everything everywhere, its nothing to be afraid of, their are US pressure groups actively engaged in European , moral, religious ad political agendas as well

Build a bridge!.
dave
Old 24-06-2013, 05:23   #426
Armchair Bucketeer

Obviously the fun of these gun debates is yanking the tails of the gun nuts lobby because the results are so predictable and funny - yer know yer shouldn't, but hard to resist .

But seriously, in some countries (or at least parts of) having a gun would make sense. and from the sounds of it chunks of the USA are like that. If I lived in the USA likely I too would have a gun .

The difference between much of the rest of the world is simply that position is regarded as a sad way to live and not as a way of life to aspire to (cue delusions about defending self against da gubberment, the British Empire, Aliens (green and brown) and crack fuelled home invaders* ).

*I said it was hard to resist .
Old 24-06-2013, 05:34   #427
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Obviously the fun of these gun debates is yanking the tails of the gun nuts lobby because the results are so predictable and funny - yer know yer shouldn't, but hard to resist
I believe its impossible to resist, and should carry a gubberment health warning. I mean its way more addictive then nicotine

dave
Old 24-06-2013, 05:42   #428

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow

People have opinions on everything everywhere, its nothing to be afraid of, their are US pressure groups actively engaged in European , moral, religious ad political agendas as well

Build a bridge!.
dave
I have opinions on the French constitutional clause guaranteeing the right to strike. The difference is :
1 I don't spout it off on forums.
2 it affects me financially and emotionally. Ie. When I buy tickets to fly my kids I have to
worry that an airline, atc, or transport strike will cause me to lose that money or worse strand two young children somewhere.
3 and this is the biggy. I can use my vote to theoretically change it.
I have no vote to stop the British health and safety nazis so I won't be calling some bloke who can in the middle of the night to tell him what is best for him.
Old 24-06-2013, 05:45   #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey
Obviously the fun of these gun debates is yanking the tails of the gun nuts lobby because the results are so predictable and funny - yer know yer shouldn't, but hard to resist .

But seriously, in some countries (or at least parts of) having a gun would make sense. and from the sounds of it chunks of the USA are like that. If I lived in the USA likely I too would have a gun .

The difference between much of the rest of the world is simply that position is regarded as a sad way to live and not as a way of life to aspire to (cue delusions about defending self against da gubberment, the British Empire, Aliens (green and brown) and crack fuelled home invaders* ).

*I said it was hard to resist .
+1 funny
Old 24-06-2013, 05:47   #430
Nearly an old salt

Seriously Jeanathon, the US is a big world player, you cannot really stop everyone feeling they have an interest in what the US does or thinks. ( ad arguably were right to do so).

Furtehrmore, read a few political blogs, youll get plenty of US opinion, comment and downright abuse on european this that and the other.

dont be so sensitive, its not like teh US is perfect like!.

Funny that exchanges kinda of go like this

"US to UK" your system X is broken , needs to be changed etc
answer from Uker, hmm , "yeah its bad, the govs to do something , we must look at that."

UK to US, your all a bunch of gun -nuts
USer " go home commie bastard"

hmmmm.... perhaps its a young ex-colony thingy.

dave
Old 24-06-2013, 06:13   #431

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow
Seriously Jeanathon, the US is a big world player, you cannot really stop everyone feeling they have an interest in what the US does or thinks. ( ad arguably were right to do so).

Furtehrmore, read a few political blogs, youll get plenty of US opinion, comment and downright abuse on european this that and the other.

dont be so sensitive, its not like teh US is perfect like!.

Funny that exchanges kinda of go like this

"US to UK" your system X is broken , needs to be changed etc
answer from Uker, hmm , "yeah its bad, the govs to do something , we must look at that."

UK to US, your all a bunch of gun -nuts
USer " go home commie bastard"

hmmmm.... perhaps its a young ex-colony thingy.

dave
I love it when the "young " thing gets thrown out there. Forget the fact most European countries were reborn by revolution or change of constitution after us.
We are straying far afield here, but yes the u.s. gov has their fingers where it ought not to. That is because our politicians are whores, and our younger generations are ignorant due to lack of any real adversity in their lives.
That is broken. Not a "young " document (that has been a model for many other countries )that guarantees the people the right to own guns and have somewhat of a chance against a gov when not if that gov gets out of control.
PS. Great a file was just opened on me in the name of security.
speaking of which maybe we should get back to that
Old 24-06-2013, 06:13   #432
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
The USA is a BIG place, you could make any stupid statement and find SOME place in the USA to apply it to.

Not that it really matters what the rest of you say about the us. Just like it doesn't matter what I think of nuts chopping up soldiers on the streets of England while people watch.

But I thought the topic was security, not the USA
Old 24-06-2013, 06:14   #433

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

The thread is going feral, although there were some humerous posts

Closed.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Closed Thread

Tags
security