Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 16:44   #211
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: Security - What do You Do ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
And this is part of the problem as I see it. People, both here and in other countries seem to want to dictate to myself and others how I may, or may not choose to defend myself.
For the most part I see this as "None of the other countries business, PERIOD!" This includes England, Canada, Germany, Japan, etc, etc.
This also includes the do gooders in my own country that would like to impose their wishes and desires on me.
I'm not trying to enforce my personal belief's upon anybody else, and they should in turn afford me the same respect.
OK, stepping down off my soapbox.
-Bruce
This post originated in Croatia so maybe we should be thinking its not all about the USA we are not dictating to you but things are a little different in Europe. I'll restate American gun culture Ugh
Old 01-10-2012, 16:55   #212

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacique View Post
This post originated in Croatia so maybe we should be thinking its not all about the USA we are not dictating to you but things are a little different in Europe. I'll restate American gun culture Ugh
A 'Cruisers Forum' i understood as being Cruising based, hence it concerned travellers from and to ALL countries........
Old 01-10-2012, 16:57   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacique View Post
That's nice. I believe Croatians own guns too.
You however are not in Croatia.
-Bruce

Old 01-10-2012, 17:04   #214
Armchair Bucketeer

At the risk of fanning any flames .

The supporters of gun ownership not only as a fundamental right but also as a good thing do kinda remind me of the supporters of a certain religion (no names - peace be upon him )......to outsiders they are clearly mental . But to be fair, they genuinely don't understand why others think of them that way. nor understand that clinging onto a largely imaginary past is somewhat restrictive on moving own society forward.......into civilisation.

Just sayin'

Old 01-10-2012, 17:18   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
At the risk of fanning any flames .

The supporters of gun ownership not only as a fundamental right but also as a good thing do kinda remind me of the supporters of a certain religion (no names - peace be upon him )......to outsiders they are clearly mental . But to be fair, they genuinely don't understand why others think of them that way. nor understand that clinging onto a largely imaginary past is somewhat restrictive on moving own society forward.......into civilisation.

Just sayin'

I know a girl from London that once thought that way too. In fact, she shuddered at the thought of it, until I explained to her that it was no different than the steel darts we threw at a regulation target. Then she was curious and asked me to take her shooting.
She know owns her own gun, and knows it will even the odds out for her should someone break in.
That, and I can assure you the past is not imaginary. Nor is the present.
Just sayin.........
-Bruce

Old 01-10-2012, 17:41   #216
Lt.

The world is getting more violent every day, look at the news... Pretty soon the world is gonna burn(i don't mean figuratively), one way or another. So I want to be ready when it happens, because I believe the government won't be able to protect everyone no matter how hard they try when those days come, so if keeping me and my family alive means putting you down with my gun(s), while your standing around with your boat hook or flare than so be it, because u can't stay a sea indefinitely. So no offense, but no matter where you are, America, England, Australia ect.ect.ect. those days are coming, SOON!.
Old 01-10-2012, 17:48   #217
CLOD

Boat: none

is it a good idea for paranoid people to have guns?
Old 01-10-2012, 18:10   #218

Boat: Corbin39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas
is it a good idea for paranoid people to have guns?
It's not being paranoid, just realistic! To each his own I always say. I am armed and do not intend on ever being an innocent victim or watching my loved ones
Injured. If they don't like my flag than I will take my money elsewhere.......just sayin!
Old 01-10-2012, 18:27   #219

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

There has been a lot of advise given here both useful and some advise that I would not follow. As I see it.
1. Use good judgement, travel with others in places were things arn't as safe.

2. Have some type of early warning system, maybe a dog, or an alarm.

3. If away from the boat, I like the cheap lock idea, I don't want them tearing up my boat to get an idem.

4. Don't let anyone on the boat that you don't want on it for any reason.

5. If someone decides to come on the boat that you do not want on it, a couple of shots from a gun over there head is going to get there attention. I would say 99 times out of 100, this will keep things from escalating.

6. If they still think it is a good idea to come aboard, you shoot them dead.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:53   #220

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

For fairly obvious reasons, I am keeping my boat security arrangements to myself.

It involves a steel deck and a power washer, however.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:40   #221

Boat: Heritage East 40

Bruce and LT, I am with you guys.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:38   #222
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Nothing more aggravating then not being able to find an ink pen when you need one for that important phone number...
Old 07-10-2012, 20:28   #223

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch

4 Piece Padlock Set

Harbor Freight

$5.00

I have 2 companionways, and two seat lockers. These are perfect, because if someone wants in, they do not have to trash my boat to get in. I have gone the other extreme, and put dead locks on another boat, but have decided less is more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tjer6i.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	47774  
Old 13-10-2012, 05:22   #224

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
With the ongoing and never ending discussion of Piracy (really break and enter's at anchorages, armed and otherwise), security and self defence i have gleaned some worthy points and suggest the following.

Most sizeable possessions in our life we protect with alarms in one way or another, on some motor vehicles we setup tracking devices or at the very least the car comes equipped with entry alarms. With our boats we do little.

I put forward the following points interested to explore others ideas that may be added.

Secure/lockable: Hatches should have a removable bar inside preventing easy entry. Windscoops should be setup to provide breeze, Rain? Well they gonna be shut!

Cockpit: Motion detector from 2 sides scanning the main entry. This needs to be connected to a LOUD audible alarm and also connected to a relay to switch on ALL external lights. Maybe with a flasher?

Deterrent: Maybe a dog, short in leg big in Jaw, as someone said it's easier to check in a dog than a gun. Depends on your cruising style. I think most victims or marks are sussed out in daylight hours..

Notification: Flares, even out of dates can easily be placed near hatches or ports, thieves dislike becoming the centre of attraction it really is simple to shoot off a couple of reds out of a hatch if you are convinced you are in a situation.

Radar: If you have one set up a small circle around your boat setting the alarm off if anything/anyone comes into the area.

Radio: Establish a net, talk to others, LEAVE it on to protect them and yourself.

Innovation: I would like to see a remote flare launcher developed, one that is in the form of a tubular launcher that can be bolted externally and high up. Flares should be the Very Pistol style that can be fired but as in a revolver.
An Arming/Fire button inside would be the go. By the bed?

Weapons: Make up your own mind but one word of warning NEVER reveal your ace card without full commitment and ability to use it... We are all different.

Now you notice that all of the above is more effective if your boat is secure, if you sleep with the hatches wide open and the companionway door open then there's not much of this that can help simply because you may wake with a gun in your mouth.

Also notice that every one of the above items will assist and you have not stepped out of your boat to confront anyone.

Actually our Catamaran has an escape hatch in each hull, thats a bonus!!!!

Ok lets see some good ideas/smart ideas ones we can install to protect our being.
Please no electric fence rants

In all the years I have been sailing I have only been boarded twice and both times beat the beggars. I carry a can of deoderant and the winch handle of our anchoe whinch inside the boat. both times a good spray in the face as they came in then a wack on the head with the handle then tip them overboard. all legal.
Old 13-10-2012, 06:46   #225

Boat: Franz Maas 37

I started cruising well before the internet became the forum of choice. In sailing club bars and through magazines I have seen literally scores of reincarnations of the debate about the carriage of guns on boats.

They always evolve the same way. In the true spirit of calling a spade a spade, it must be said that largely, the gun toting sailors of the world are from the USA. Once upon a time, the way in which some people chose agression as their main form of security was regarded as merely quaint.

Now, as the world moves forward, 'quaint' is not the word to use. The discussion takes on a fundamentalist zeal, which can be quite disturbing for someone such as me, who will not have any form of explosive weaponry on board. In so many cases the carriage of guns makes international criminals of those who choose to break the laws of countries they visit by neglecting to declare weapons.

That in itself says something about those who do carry guns surruptitiously into the homelands of their hosts.

As with religion and conspiracy theories, argument and debate will never change anyone's mind. The best we can hope for is that the guns are never needed to be taken on deck.

I am reminded of the true story, reported a long time ago in Cruising World, of a US national who pitched his gun after it jammed whilst he was trying to shoot at a hooded group in a small boat who were closing on his boat somewhere along the Yemeni coast (?). They were trying to sell him fish.
Closed Thread

Tags
security