Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2017, 20:01   #76
cruiser

Re: Security in foreign ports

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptsWife View Post
Where are you that you feel this safe and have had no troubles? Just curious.
England, Guernsey, Spain, the Balerics, Italy, Montenegro, Croatia, Corsica, Sardinia.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 20:07   #77
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
Has everyone who has cruised in Spain, Italy, Montenegro and Croatia during the time period you were there not needed to lock their dinghies?
Well Jason... I can't speak for everyone, but I haven't seen any other cruisers in the same areas lock their dinghies to docks on shore, nor do I see them bringing up their dinghies at night in the anchorages.
Old 20-03-2017, 20:23   #78

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Well Jason... I can't speak for everyone, but I haven't seen any other cruisers in the same areas lock their dinghies to docks on shore, nor do I see them bringing up their dinghies at night in the anchorages.
Have you heard of anyone's dinghy being stolen or have you heard of any crime whatsoever against a cruiser in the the areas you've mentioned?

ETA: So far you've mentioned, England, Guernsey, Spain, the Balerics, Italy, Montenegro, Croatia, Corsica, Sardinia.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 20:32   #79
cruiser

Quote:
Have you heard of anyone's dinghy being stolen or have you heard of any crime whatsoever against a cruiser in the the areas you've mentioned?

ETA: So far you've mentioned, England, Guernsey, Spain, the Balerics, Italy, Montenegro, Croatia, Corsica, Sardinia.
No, not even one.
Old 20-03-2017, 21:08   #80

Quote:
No, not even one.
From having never heard of a crime against a cruiser in England, Guernsey, Spain, the Balerics, Italy, Montenegro, Croatia, Corsica and Sardinia would you conclude that there has never been a crime against a cruiser in these locations or would you suspect that you simply have never heard of any crime.
Old 20-03-2017, 21:15   #81
cruiser

Quote:
From having never heard of a crime against a cruiser in England, Guernsey, Spain, the Balerics, Italy, Montenegro, Croatia, Corsica and Sardinia would you conclude that there has never been a crime against a cruiser in these locations or would you suspect that you simply have never heard of any crime.
Jason,

If you're worried about crime in these areas, then it's probably best for you to stay away, remain at home and lock your doors. Cruising might not be suitable for your level of fear tolerance.

'Nuff said.
Old 20-03-2017, 21:18   #82

Quote:
Jason,

If you're worried about crime in these areas, then it's probably best for you to stay away, remain at home and lock your doors. Cruising might not be suitable for your level of fear tolerance.

'Nuff said.
I'm not worried about crime. I just like to ask you questions until your unwilling to answer.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:29   #83

Boat: PEARSON 422

I have had more problems on my home port than while cruising. My boat, and several others along my dock, we're broken in to in a slip next to the Clearwater Yacht Club. A few years later someone cut the padlock and stole my dingy motor from the transom of my boat in Dunedin Marina just a few blocks from my house. The only crime I have experienced while cruising is being over charged by a shady diesel mechanic in Ft Lauderdale.

My mom worries about us cruising the Caribbean but I have tried to explain to her that I am more concerned about our safety or our belongingd on the streets of Tampa or Miami than anywhere else we have visited.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:37   #84

Boat: PEARSON 422

We have left the boat anchored for days at a time in places like: Cortez/Bradenton, Factory Bay in Marco Island, Boot Key Harbor in Marathon, etc and have not had a problem. We just lock her up as tight as possible. Just a padlock on the companionway.
Old 12-04-2018, 13:35   #85

Boat: Columbia 10.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Likely it was done by the Marina Staff.. its in the small print.. doubt very much the 'Racers' would have done it..
Fortunately we're not 'Gun Happy' this side of the pond.
I'm not sure who did it. It was a long time ago. The racing fleet had dibs, but we were unaware they were coming and no one was around to tell us differently. All turned out well but it was tense for a few minutes.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 13:50   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I am not trying to be funny or sarcastic and I think you're looking for an argument. I didn't write that one is likely to be mowed down in Chicago. And yes, I have been in Chicago as well as in almost every other place in the US. And a Glock *is* a handgun. That's a whole list of things you say or assume that are not true.

I agree that Chicago is a nice place, love the music. But those fun places are not safer than the same kind of places in other cities. I compared Chicago to Amsterdam and said that I see *no* difference, while many think Amsterdam is a very safe place and Chicago isn't. About the opposite of what you suggest I wrote.

Texas? Texas is one of the safest places I've been in the US. Very nice, warm, friendly and welcoming people. You seem to think that carrying a gun makes people bad. That is the same as stating a sheepdog is bad because his teeth look like those of the wolf, while the sheepdog is in fact trying to protect while the wolf is trying to kill
You say that Chicago is NOT a safe place? I've lived in the city and suburbs for nearly my entire life and never witnessed any crime. Never been robbed and never seen anyone but a cop with a gun. That's 50 years of experience.

That's not saying that Chicago is safe. Some places are dangerous and others are not. But most tourists will never be in a place where it's dangerous. You'd be more likely to be hit by a bus or run over by a cab then robbed at gunpoint or shot.

There are 2.5 million people in the city. In 2017, 810 were shot. That is around .00034%. There was a spike in 2016 and 2017. Prior to those years shooting were less than 500 per year.

I drove a truck for 2.5 years and serviced every neighborhood in the city, black, white and hispanic. I never had a single incident where someone pulled gun or even a knife. Situational awareness is the most important trait in any location. I've also lived in Atlanta and San Diego. I've traveled all over the US and in Europe. I keep my eyes open and aware of my environment and suspicious activity.
Old 12-04-2018, 13:58   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalstar View Post
It is interesting that people from most crime ridden countries and with largest prison population in the world are always concerned about security in other countries. I can read and write in German and Spanish and when I go to their "nautical" sites I never encountered "questions" like this one about security in foreign ports.
Also I noticed that there is almost no problem when you are in Dutch or French Caribbean/Pacific "colonies", always is trouble in Anglo-Saxon colonies.
Maybe that is left over from anglosaxons mentality, loot, steal, pillage, haras natives and now "locals" just continue well learned school, or what they said "student surpassing teacher"...
One should not toss looting and pillaging too casually when talking about Anglo-Saxon colonies. There was plenty of pillaging by a group called "Vikings" too. The French and Dutch were no slouches either.

If you look at history, you will see that no colonies welcomed their colonizers and often tried to kick them out.

Tags
ports, security