Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2017, 12:32   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Security in foreign ports

Here in the east end of Lake Ontario (and 1000 islands) I've always been surprised at how people leave their boats. In the islands or at anchor, I think no one locks their boat, and unless there is rain forecast, hatches are left wide open. I do this too, and have not had trouble. Dinghies are left on long painters over the stern. I have often wondered why some local teens don't just take them all some quiet night. But they don't.

At marinas though, the boats are locked. Hobos and teenagers will be looking for trouble and stuff to steal. Most marinas around here have no security, or the types of security which are really a joke to anyone looking for mischief.

Occasionally, there is real trouble. A friend had his outboard stolen from the stern rail. Several sea-doos went missing once. And a 45 foot powerboat mysteriously disappeared one fall.

Personally, my Hunter Legend 35.5 was broken into over the winter on the hard (xmas) and was looted. They broke into most of the boats there (Kingston Marina, inner harbour). "Security" never noticed anything amiss, and it was only when the owners checked on their own boats that we realized so many had been entered.

Another time, about a dozen boats were entered at both the yacht club (KYC) and a marina (Confed). Nothing was stolen, but anything and everything was dumped inside the boats...engine oil, gasoline, food, anything in a container on the boat. The goal it appeared was to do maximum damage.

I should also mention that my solar panel was stolen right off my boat. It was a small one, not bolted on or anything.

Another time I forgot to close and lock my boat entirely at my marina (left in a rush)...a week later I came back and it was fine, nothing missing or disturbed.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 13:40   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
Big Jim,

This forum covers a wide area. if you are US based or you are specifically referring to the Caribbean then pls say so. There are others in this forum who are in Euorpe , South East asia, or even Oz/Nz. We all have comments for the specific areas. The security requirements will be different for each of them.
Security situation can change based on location even within a country or region , but also over time. Some of your actions can change but the basic principles of research, situational awareness, blend in and remain alert holds true regardless of where you are.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 13:54   #18

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilBrown View Post

If anyone gets onto the back of the boat it makes a bong noise. .
Bubbling water?

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 14:06   #19

Boat: Aloha 34

I remember reading one of Brent's posts on Catamaran Impi, and he mentioned that in pulling into a small dubious port in South America (IIRC), known for its low character, that he mentioned to one of the locals that his boat had security cameras on all the time, and that the footage was streamed by satellite to a remote location. He said that a number of the other boats were looted while they were there, but that IMPI remained untouched.

Or something to that effect. Seemed like a wise move to get the word out that your boat is monitored, although it might make it more of a target in someones eyes.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 14:30   #20

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
A lock will never stop a professional thief. A strong lock simply means they will break your door or the hasp. They will get in.
Not really relivant for this use but........ I design and manufacture custom made locks. I design them, prototype, and destructive test them.

The quote "if they want to get in, they will get in" is my pet hate because people believe this. It is an excuse given to them by installers who fit crap to crap and charge good money for a 5 second delay lock.

If they want to get in, they can be stopped, it just maybe unrealistic to do so.

Rant over.......As you were :-)
Old 13-03-2017, 14:46   #21

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

American paranoia... meanwhile we are afraid to go to the US because of your guns and crime levels. Here's the thing, people live here.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 15:01   #22

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Let's see, in the U.S. over the last seventy years, had my VW Bug broken into with spare tire and camera stolen, and my Jeep broken into twice at home but only lost a tool kit in the first instance, Had my wallet pick-pocketed in Rome, but most everyone I know had such an experience there (be wary in the subway). Since I spend 99+plus percent away from Rome, make your own conclusions.

Also, someone stole my water house at my home berth too which I left connected to the berth's faucet.
Old 13-03-2017, 15:23   #23

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Fortunately we're not 'Gun Happy' this side of the pond.[/SIZE][/FONT]

If you watch the old BBC murder mysteries there seems to be plenary of mayhem on that side of the pond too.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 15:24   #24

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Likely it was done by the Marina Staff.. its in the small print.. doubt very much the 'Racers' would have done it..
Fortunately we're not 'Gun Happy' this side of the pond.
His post stated a "public pier". I took it to mean just that, not a marina with staff. I could be wrong of course but I can only go with what's been given.
Old 13-03-2017, 15:29   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Not really relivant for this use but........ I design and manufacture custom made locks. I design them, prototype, and destructive test them.

The quote "if they want to get in, they will get in" is my pet hate because people believe this. It is an excuse given to them by installers who fit crap to crap and charge good money for a 5 second delay lock.

If they want to get in, they can be stopped, it just maybe unrealistic to do so.

Rant over.......As you were :-)
On many boats all you have to do is cut some canvas with a knife. On many others, the door will pop with a pry bar. Then of course there are the windows and hatches. Often, navigation equipment and radios often aren't on the secure side of the door anyway. Most boats aren't built with serious security in mind.
Old 13-03-2017, 15:30   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
American paranoia... meanwhile we are afraid to go to the US because of your guns and crime levels. Here's the thing, people live here.
You can stay away, that's fine with most of us.
Old 13-03-2017, 15:38   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
I don't think this "American paranoia" really exist. We lived aboard and cruised for 45 years and never locked our boat unless we were leaving it for more than a couple of days. In my 70 years I've never seen a crime in the US that involved a weapon. The only time that I've ever had a gun pointed at me was in Spain. The only time I ever had someone attempt to break into my residence was in Italy.

Anguilla is a wonderful and peaceful safe place. There are thousands of places this size that are just a safe and peaceful in the US. ...and hundreds of thousands such places worldwide.

The paranoia that you speak of is more common among those that have not traveled and experienced comfort and safety in foreign lands. This is often true for those that have never left the US or those that have never left the Caribbean.
Old 13-03-2017, 15:42   #28

Boat: valiant 40

We work on the principle that there are more good people in the world than bad, so we shop local čat local and try to learn please, thankyou, hello, and goodbye in the local language. Our feeling is if you are personable and contribute to the local community you have eyes on your boat.
Over 4 years in South East Asia no problems so far.we are far more concerned in remote anchorages as there is always a chance that the only eyes on your boat maybe in the 1% .
Old 13-03-2017, 16:11   #29
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilBrown View Post
I have a little PIR activated battery operated doorbell which I leave in the cockpit overnight. If anyone gets onto the back of the boat it makes a bong noise. Not very secure but it might put some off.

I'm planning to leave my boat for 4-5 months ashore over the winter.
As I'll be 2000 miles away I'm going to have to leave her with most of our personal gear aboard.
In that time someone could have stripped the boat of anything valuable.

I was wondering if anyone has or plans to use any of the following;

https://buddyguard.io/how-it-works
I dont know if this works from 12v but I'm sure it could be adapted too.

Brinno | Outdoor Security Camera - MAC200DN
This PIR activated camera will work for months on a couple of batteries but will need to be hidden.

https://www.thetrackr.com
These are fairly small and could be stuck on an outboard or pushbike but they rely on having a bluetooth signal.
Great ideas/suggestions. Thanks.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 16:21   #30

Boat: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Bubbling water?

I will be scrubbing my keyboard for a bit after this one. I laughed so hard I horked coca-cola on it!

LOL .. Bong noise..
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ports, security