Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2016, 06:57   #1

Sealed vs Unsealed Propane heater and moisture

Hi all,

I'm looking into buying a cabin heater for a small live-in boat. The main reason is because last winter (without heater) everything got very damp.

My question is whether I should get a sealed or unsealed heater.

I gather sealed is safer (and pricier). But my main problem is getting rid of moisture (from breathing, cooking, candles, etc). I figure an unsealed heater will consume (moist) cabin air, blowing it up the chimney, and suck in cooler (and therefore less moist) outside air.

But now I hear that unsealed heaters can produce moisture, and that one should get an sealed heater to reduce moisture.

So what's the truth here? Will sealed or unsealed be better?

Side info: My cabin is (too) well ventilated, small (2m x 4m), and yes I have a CO detector.
petered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:28   #2

Boat: Alberg #0
Re: Sealed vs Unsealed Propane heater and moisture

Burning propane adds moisture to the air unless it is vented (sealed?) through a chimney. Unveiled is cheaper but will cause condensation and can create a carbon monoxide danger unless it has a sensor built in. If you have a diesel engine, maybe consider a Dickinson or similar.

Good luck,

Paul.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:44   #3

Re: Sealed vs Unsealed Propane heater and moisture

Both the sealed and unsealed are vented, just the unsealed takes air in from the cabin and the sealed takes air from outside, separating the whole combustion process from the cabin air. I read here (3rd comment) that an unsealed can produced water vapour, but also read (last comment) that it can suck it away.

So I'm looking to get a verdict on someone who's tried both: Which one leads to less moisture in the winter?
petered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane