Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2019, 20:27   #1

Boat: Ted brewer 40
Satellite tv on a mooring on Maui?

I searched some threads but didn’t really find what I was looking for. Does anyone have help with a satellite dish that’s affordable on captains pay for directv or dish? I’m planning on staying in Hawaiian waters for three or four more years before circumnavigating hopefully. 40 ft ted brewer. I’ve seen dishes a grand to two grand and up. I figure a hundred a month for subscription. Also, any benefits of having the satellite dish besides tv. Any benefit of keeping it onboard for cruising beyond Hawaii? Thanks for any feedback.
Tim francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Satellite tv on a mooring on Maui?

used a KVH system in europe and red sea,didn't cost the captain a cent,........owner paid 28k for the install.......
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:16   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Forget TV. Anything you want to watch - long as you don't "need" realtime - is easily downloadable via those intertubes.

Just carry a couple portable SSDs and clone one to the other for storage + backups, for when you're out of broadband range.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:18   #4

Boat: Morgan 512

We have used a "Sky-Mate" , just like "Follow Me TV" coupled with Direct TV on board for better than 15 years with great success. The whole East Coast US is covered and the Bahamas down thru about Great Guana .In the Carib there is a separate subscription requirement. The West coast at least thru mid Mexico is also covered on the US sub.
I admit to being a TV addict and have been fairly happy with Direct. I will say that it gives us better coverage than we could attempt streaming WIFI.
Captainmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmay View Post
We have used a "Sky-Mate" , just like "Follow Me TV" coupled with Direct TV on board for better than 15 years with great success. The whole East Coast US is covered and the Bahamas down thru about Great Guana .In the Carib there is a separate subscription requirement. The West coast at least thru mid Mexico is also covered on the US sub.
I admit to being a TV addict and have been fairly happy with Direct. I will say that it gives us better coverage than we could attempt streaming WIFI.
We had the "follow me" and it worked well on our small catamaran.

If you stick close to the continental US, Direct TV will work fine (not sure about hawaii) but if you travel further, you need to look at other satellite services. Not sure if you would need a different dish but the base unit would still rotate the same.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:50   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

Sat TV is a wonderful thing.
I installed a SeaTel 27" dome on my boat and subscribe to DirecTv. The service down here in the Caribbean is run through Trinidad and is Directv Latin America, same basic content as the U.S. Expensive for service, about $900 a year but the equipment and a pole to mount the dome are big costs. I manufactured a pole from heavy stainless tubbing and built a massive aluminium plate and socket receiver which I glassed into the transom. You can pick the boat up with the pole it is that solid. Cost about $6,000 + dome. As the technology is constantly improving you can buy the older sat domes very cheaply from used electronics suppliers in the U.S. you can get a working 24" dome for around $500-$1500, new you are looking at $5,000 minimum for something you can use offshore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sat tv pole.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	183352  
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:01   #7

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Forget TV. Anything you want to watch - long as you don't "need" realtime - is easily downloadable via those intertubes.

Just carry a couple portable SSDs and clone one to the other for storage + backups, for when you're out of broadband range.
I would almost universally agree, but this would still need a way of downloading the content. But at least it typically doesn't need a crazy big tree of electronics bolted to the boat.

I wonder if a Netflix like service could make money mailing USB memory sticks of encrypted content that can only play through their own app on various OSes. Basically a combination what Netflix does with DVDs and Blu-rays for mailing, and the download option on their streaming service. A 128 GB USB memory stick can be rather small these days and contain basically a month's worth of content. It's about 800MB/1H, so a 128 GB drive could hold well over 150 hours of content.

$50 deposit and $10/month should cover it. Netflix and Amazon already all have downloadable content. I'm not sure what Apple and Google are doing these days, beyond individual purchases. Just need someone to put it on drives and mail it to the boat's local address.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:04   #8

Online content is getting better for cruisers but you still need a fast unlimited data plan if you watch more than a few hours per month.

Wifi rarely is good enough.
Cellular is OK in some areas where data is cheap but in other areas it's not realistic.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:09   #9
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Well personally I already need the computer and broadband Internet unless passage-making.

DLing videos might add $40-60 a month to the plans I pay for already.

USA has the nearly worst most expensive costs per GB, overseas developed even most third-world countries are much faster and cheaper, since the government enforces real competition, not captured by industry
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring, satellite