Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 06:56   #1

Boat: Gemini 105M 34
Send a message via Yahoo to captainstubbie
Sarasota Area or South Padre Island Area?

The time has come for me to make a small life change for the winter months... I am looking at moving South for the Oct-Apr months...and then returning to upper MN for the summers.

Yes, I will still be working...but as a semi-retired dude.

I own a home in Naples FL, but will sell that home. I love Naples, but getting from the city dock to the Gulf is a hassle each time.

So, I'm looking for input-comparison of these 2 locations... FL side of the Gulf further North and the South Padre Island and North area. I have never Bern to either...but Will be scoping them both out this Oct.

Marinas? Sailing? Atmosphere? Anything you can tell me is much appreciated...
Old 06-08-2017, 13:03   #2

Re: Sarasota Area or South Padre Island Area?

How about I get a little more generic, southern Texas versus Southern Florida? Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 06-08-2017, 16:41   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Is money an issue? Cause S Fl is anything but reasonably priced.
I don't know about Tx
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 16:57   #4

Boat: Various

Actually the west coast of FL is moderately priced. I would definitely pick it over South Padre and over the coast of Texas. There's simply more boating to be done in multiple directions. The west coast of FL opens you to the Gulf Coast, the Keys, the East Coast and even to the Bahamas.

You gave no indication of the type boat but Florida offers great offshore boating plus ICW for those interested.

If choosing Texas, I wouldn't go as far as South Padre. It's just too remote for my interests.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 16:59   #5

Check out the new Siesta Key show - not the full story of Sarasota life but certainly it shows one aspect and the show even includes a little boating. If you head 10-20 miles north or south of Sarasota you'll find great deals.

What are the aspects you're looking for?
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 17:28   #6

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstubbie View Post
The time has come for me to make a small life change for the winter months... I am looking at moving South for the Oct-Apr months...and then returning to upper MN for the summers.

Yes, I will still be working...but as a semi-retired dude.

I own a home in Naples FL, but will sell that home. I love Naples, but getting from the city dock to the Gulf is a hassle each time.

So, I'm looking for input-comparison of these 2 locations... FL side of the Gulf further North and the South Padre Island and North area. I have never Bern to either...but Will be scoping them both out this Oct.

Marinas? Sailing? Atmosphere? Anything you can tell me is much appreciated...
We need to understand what type of boat you have or are going to have. And why Naples City Dock? There are other places to keep a boat that are closer to the Gulf. Depending on where you end up around Sarasota, you could have worse issues getting to the Gulf.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 18:52   #7
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstubbie View Post
How about I get a little more generic, southern Texas versus Southern Florida? Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?
I'm from Texas. Not much down there around Port Isabel. Plenty of very skinny water, and marinas for fishing boats was all I could find. Maybe you have done better research than me, but doubt it. Rockport is pretty nice. Check out Cove Harbor Marina. We spent 6 months there - Boat Storage Rockport TX - Wet Slip and Drystack - Cove Harbor Marina

Nice people, and easy getting out to the Gulf. Also, very cheap. About $250.00/month for a 40' floating dock. Restrooms and showers, water, and wifi. Not much else to offer.

Personally, I hate to say it, but I'd pick a place in Florida.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 19:52   #8

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

There is only one marina in Sarasota, Marina Jack, and it's high end. Go a little north to Bradenton or Cortez and you'll find two marinas on opposite sides of the Cortez Bridge. Short ride to the Gulf or head north to Tampa Bay. A liitle further north is Palmetto with, again, two marinas on opposite sides of the Palmetto Bridge on the Manateee River with a third a mile east.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:30   #9

I'm sorry, I'll give a little more info. I'll be purchasing a catamaran this fall around the 40 foot range. It won't be a total live-aboard because I will be purchasing a different house. I was just curious because some family lives over by Padre Island's and keeps telling me that I should buy a place there as opposed to Florida. I'm going to make a trip down to the Sarasota area in the next couple weeks to look at a couple boats anyway so I will take that advice and hand. Thank you so much for the input so far, please anyone with more info on the Texas side chimed in.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:38   #10

The only reason I mentioned the city dock in Naples and the time it takes to get out to the golf is that's the closest marina to the house I presently have there. I've not explored other marinas but will also do that.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:37   #11

Naples City Dock is under construction until January and there are 44 people on the waiting list (some left over form privious years). No more than 10 nights a month no more that 3 or 4 night in a row.........
sail50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:38   #12

Good to know, thank you so much!
Old 07-08-2017, 06:46   #13

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

An issue I've observed with Sarasota - there is no decent entrance to/from the Gulf. Big Sarasota Pass is a nightmare (done it 3-4 times) and New Pass has a bascule bridge you have to wait to open (not fun when tide is flowing/ebbing), then a 65' bridge to get back to the marina. As stated earlier, I would look north of Sarasota. Or stay around Naples/Ft. Myers. South of Sarasota all the way to Charlotte Harbor, I feel 'trapped' by the fact you have to head for Venice or Charlotte Harbor to get to the Gulf. I was transiting to Sarasota from the south and was in the ICW as the wind was above 25kts, we bailed out and came inside at Venice since I wasn't about to try Big Sarasota Pass with 4-6 seas. Then the bridge tenders started talking about not opening if the wind is above, IIRC, 29kts...??? I thought, WTF?, I have to anchor in the shallows off the ICW because the bridges won't open....

Big Sarasota Pass navigation:

Big Pass Information - Sarasota Yacht Club
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:31   #14

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I am in the "gotta change my life" mode also, keep the boat, sell the boat, where to live, etc. I been looking on the Florida West coast. Punta Gorda isn't bad for buying a house on a canal. $300's and up. City owns and maintains sea walls, and dredges. Deed restricted so you won't have to worry about the swamp people moving in next door. Burnt Store marina was over $650 month for my boat. Last winter I stayed in Bradenton. Checked out the marina in Palmetto. $850 month, with a waiting list. Longer access to the gulf, down the Manatee River. I think sailing in and around Charlotte (so) Harbor would be a nice area, with access to the Keys and Dry Tortugas. Probably take 3-4 days to set up for a Bahama crossing. Considering slip fees, buying a canal house makes economic sense. A big issue in South Florida is all the derelict boats, some abandoned, many cheap housing that will probably never be moved again.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:03   #15

Have spent a few weeks in Punta Gorda over the last few months. Really nice place. Sure hot this time of year. Seems to be a lot of lightening damage potential in Florida?
Long way to the ocean from there under sail.
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sarasota