Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2018, 13:20   #31

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Sailrite - Yes or No

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
...@Mike O Reilly: maybe you can find a used one somewhere. Ours paid for itself with the boom bag cum lazy jacks that we made. Should you decide to go the old metal portable route, be sure to get one or two spare bobbin adjusting screws. I lost one, and counted myself very fortunate to find a sewing machine repair guy who had one he'd sell me in his spare parts drawer.
Thanks Ann, I keep looking and hoping, but so far no luck. Part of the problem is the few that do come up on the used market have been so far away that when I add the cost of shipping, I start to get close to the price of a new machine. They also retain their value (which is good), but it means the shipping costs really become the tipping point.

I keep hoping one will come up for sale within driving distance. So far, no joy .
Old 30-01-2018, 09:13   #32

Boat: Catalina 30' (1984)

I would say yes to getting a heavy duty sewing machine. We recently bought one of the Sailrite ones to bring with us when set sail. We upgraded since we had to do sail and jib repairs, and the old one just couldn't punch through the thick layers.

We realize doing some sail repairs will be tricky because of space, but being on a mid-40s catamaran will help. Other intended uses would be for clothing, cushion repairs, etc., even helping out other cruisers with projects!
justakiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 09:53   #33

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
...And on that note, I’m currently in BC for the next couple of months. If there are any PNW sailors wanting to part with LSZ‑1, PM me!
Off topic, but WOW! Well done Mike!
From NL to BC >> that was the quickest Northwest passage I have heard of...you must have a very fast, strong and well heated boat.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 10:05   #34

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Off topic, but WOW! Well done Mike!
From NL to BC >> that was the quickest Northwest passage I have heard of...you must have a very fast, strong and well heated boat.
You ain’t seen nuthin’ yet. I plan to do the reverse journey in April, long before the winter ice has left the NW Passage. Ever seen a full keeler being pulled by sled dog?
Old 30-01-2018, 10:14   #35

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
You ain’t seen nuthin’ yet. I plan to do the reverse journey in April, long before the winter ice has left the NW Passage. Ever seen a full keeler being pulled by sled dog?
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailrite