Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2022, 12:27   #1

Sailing The South For A Year! Advise, Tips & Stories Wanted!

Over the next year or less, I'll be preparing to sail around the world for a year. Generally around the world. I'm currently in Southern California and am deciding if I'll be leaving from here, or go to Texas, Florida, or the Eastern Seaboard to leave for the Southern Waters.

I've had both power and sailboats. Over the next year I'll be building up my experience and techniques for the trip.

My goal is the Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean, Australia, Japan, Philippians, South Korea, maybe Greece and the Mediterranean.

I'm looking for your stories, advice and tips on the whole shebang! Here a few topics!

Best boat (would love a fully kitted Catalina Mark II, but let's be honest, those get WAY up there in $$$) for island and open water sailing. Thinking 32'-46' length. Extra cabin for a sailing companion or two (which I'll be looking for). Boat hitchhikers!

What not to forget! What not to take! Where I've got to go! Places I've got to see! Ports to visit and to steer clear. Countries that are an issue. Best Customs practices and tips to deal with the officials.

Best and worst equipment for the price. Most have and don't need!

Armada traveling! How to find and get with the right group for island hopping and open water.

Tell me your great and horrible tales on any of these topics.

I've a lot of planning and work to take care of before this journey, so any advice, comments and suggestions are helpful! Even the amusing ones!

Yes, even my shrink said this is a good idea for me! Got that one covered?
PushingThePen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 14:01   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Sailing The South For A Year! Advise, Tips & Stories Wanted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushingThePen View Post
Over the next year or less, I'll be preparing to sail around the world for a year. Generally around the world. I'm currently in Southern California and am deciding if I'll be leaving from here, or go to Texas, Florida, or the Eastern Seaboard to leave for the Southern Waters.

I've had both power and sailboats. Over the next year I'll be building up my experience and techniques for the trip.

My goal is the Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean, Australia, Japan, Philippians, South Korea, maybe Greece and the Mediterranean.

I'm looking for your stories, advice and tips on the whole shebang! Here a few topics!

Best boat (would love a fully kitted Catalina Mark II, but let's be honest, those get WAY up there in $$$) for island and open water sailing. Thinking 32'-46' length. Extra cabin for a sailing companion or two (which I'll be looking for). Boat hitchhikers!

What not to forget! What not to take! Where I've got to go! Places I've got to see! Ports to visit and to steer clear. Countries that are an issue. Best Customs practices and tips to deal with the officials.

Best and worst equipment for the price. Most have and don't need!

Armada traveling! How to find and get with the right group for island hopping and open water.

Tell me your great and horrible tales on any of these topics.

I've a lot of planning and work to take care of before this journey, so any advice, comments and suggestions are helpful! Even the amusing ones!

Yes, even my shrink said this is a good idea for me! Got that one covered?

How many megabytes of answers can you tolerate
Old 13-05-2022, 14:28   #3

Quote:
Best boat (would love a fully kitted Catalina Mark II, but let's be honest, those get WAY up there in $$$)
I'm not sure that circumnavigators would consider a Catalina as being a super expensive boat. How much do you expect the boat to cost?
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 14:44   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I am going to be really forthright here, and ask you what makes you think a year is an adequate time frame? and what makes you think you can afford to do it? and finally, what is your sailing background?

Ann
Old 13-05-2022, 14:49   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing The South For A Year! Advise, Tips & Stories Wanted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I am going to be really forthright here, and ask you what makes you think a year is an adequate time frame? and what makes you think you can afford to do it? and finally, what is your sailing background?

Ann
11 years reading posts on CF..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 15:23   #6

Boat: Shannon 28

Based on the general safest routes and weather conditions (ie avoiding typhoon seasons) doesn't it generally take two years to sail around?

Looking at Jimmy Cornell's book most loops take 2 years depending on options you want to include.
ArmySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 21:44   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Quote:

I'm looking for your stories, advice and tips on the whole shebang!
Advice from a fairly experienced cruiser:

It is simply not feasible to complete your itinerary in one year, difficult in two and becomes possible in t hree or four. And that is without much exploring in the areas that you visit or significant equipment issues to slow you down.

Ann and I took a one year sabbatical to start our long range cruising life. Starting in San Francisco we sailed down to the Sea of Cortez and mainland MExico, thence on to French Polynesia and back via Hawaii. Did not feel that we had enough time in any of the places we visited. And we were quite experienced sailors and cruisers when we set out, and in a well proven and shaken down yacht, and with considerable skills in maintenance and repair of all systems, so we didn't spend time waiting on others to do things for us.

Compare our situation with yours, realize that we felt rushed and then downscale your plans. A lot.

You can have a great time in a one year cruise if you approach realistically...

Jim
Old 13-05-2022, 21:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
How many megabytes of answers can you tolerate
As many as you need!
Old 13-05-2022, 21:47   #9

A Catalina can run upwards of $150K for a fully decked one. I'm not going nearly that high. I've a way to find affordable, but I'd like suggestions on what and why.
Old 13-05-2022, 21:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

Ann
A year is my starting time from for this leg. I'll be cherry picking where I go before I start out. I'll be focusing on leaving the Gulf of Mexico and heading straight for the islands and Puerto Rico. Spending a decent amount of time hopping them, before heading east towards Australia and the Philippians, along with some of Asia.

Financially it's not an issue, once I've the boat and gear. I don't really need to worry about general monies. Just the initial lump sums. I'll be liquidating a couple of my other boats to help fund the new one.

I've been sailing recreationally off and on for a long time. That's also why I'm taking the time I'll need to get the boat, take care of some business and personal matters and a few other things, for getting a lot more hands-on open water experience. Refreshers are always good when undertaking this type of adventure.

I'm not exactly a spring chicken.
Old 13-05-2022, 21:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
11 years reading posts on CF..
Hilarious!!!! Thanks for the laugh!

Actually, 40+ years boating. Power and sail.
Old 13-05-2022, 22:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySailor View Post
Based on the general safest routes and weather conditions (ie avoiding typhoon seasons) doesn't it generally take two years to sail around?

Looking at Jimmy Cornell's book most loops take 2 years depending on options you want to include.

I'll have to pick it up and give it a read.

I might slip it wherever I end up for a season and hit it again the following year. Flying out and back isn't a big deal, if it's in a decent marine. Not interested in sailing in the storm season. A storm or two is one thing. One after the other isn't much fun.

Any other suggestions?
Old 13-05-2022, 22:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Advice from a fairly experienced cruiser:

It is simply not feasible to complete your itinerary in one year, difficult in two and becomes possible in t hree or four. And that is without much exploring in the areas that you visit or significant equipment issues to slow you down.

Ann and I took a one year sabbatical to start our long range cruising life. Starting in San Francisco we sailed down to the Sea of Cortez and mainland MExico, thence on to French Polynesia and back via Hawaii. Did not feel that we had enough time in any of the places we visited. And we were quite experienced sailors and cruisers when we set out, and in a well proven and shaken down yacht, and with considerable skills in maintenance and repair of all systems, so we didn't spend time waiting on others to do things for us.

Compare our situation with yours, realize that we felt rushed and then downscale your plans. A lot.

You can have a great time in a one year cruise if you approach realistically...

Jim
Yeah, I figured I'd need to just see how far a year would take me, then reevaluate from there. Might find a particularly enjoyable area to spend extra time. There's a lot of rum in the islands to sample!

Without spending much time in the Gulf of Mexico, how long do you think would be a reasonable time to designate for the Caribbean and that area? Just getting familiar with it. Not a long stay.

Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.
Old 13-05-2022, 22:32   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Without spending much time in the Gulf of Mexico, how long do you think would be a reasonable time to designate for the Caribbean and that area?
Sorry, no experience in those waters. Our sailing has been exclusively in the Pacific and fringes of the Indian Oceans.

It kinda sounds like you are attempting to set up a schedule. My advice: don't! You will likely abandon it forthwith or go mad trying to keep to it. Other than avoiding cyclone seasons in bad areas, cruising should IMO be casual and extemporaneous, changing one's mind as the cruise unfolds. At least, that how it evolved for us.

Jim
Old 13-05-2022, 23:00   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Sorry, no experience in those waters. Our sailing has been exclusively in the Pacific and fringes of the Indian Oceans.

It kinda sounds like you are attempting to set up a schedule. My advice: don't! You will likely abandon it forthwith or go mad trying to keep to it. Other than avoiding cyclone seasons in bad areas, cruising should IMO be casual and extemporaneous, changing one's mind as the cruise unfolds. At least, that how it evolved for us.

Jim
My schedule is pretty much based on fair weather seasons. I've no where to go in a hurry... Except away from bad weather and California's insane gas prices!

I'm interested in your experiences for both the Pacific and Indian oceans. I'll be in both at some point in future adventures.

What did you think of cruising the California and Mexican coastline? Issues, advantages, risks, rewards, etc?

These areas will be my practice zones, plus initial shakedown cruises more than likely. Not just zipping out to Catalina and back either.

Use to deliver boats from Newport and Long Beach up to my clients in Santa Barbara and along throughout the area, but those are just day or overnight runs. My goal this year is to spend a lot more time crewing on multi-day and some week runs to get back into things and get longer-term practice.

I had a yacht service for several years, so finding some crew work isn't an issue. Plus, I know a bunch of people with sailboats they like to take out. Most are short stints though.

Figured when I do head out, I'll find a person or two with some experience that would like to go on a leg or two of the journey.

Tags
sail, sailing, wanted