Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2019, 04:35   #61
cruiser

Re: Sailing in recession ?

Having discussed this issue with my fellow nurses at work yesterday, the consensus was unanimous, if a person living in America at the present time applies themselves and works hard.... there's plenty of work available at good wages. All of us that were present were working well over 40 hours per week, with plenty of offers to do over-time or work a second or third job, each person also owned rental income property mostly in the form of a multi-family house, so they were running a commercial business on the side in addition to working full time as a nurse.

I really don't understand why so many on this forum spend so much time hand wringing over lost opportunities and the economy, there're plenty out there for the person willing to get up off their behind and do something to improve their situation. It only takes two years of hand work and study to become a registered nurse, but one does have to put down the beer and pass a drug test in order to get the job.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 05:15   #62

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Having discussed this issue with my fellow nurses at work yesterday, the consensus was unanimous, if a person living in America at the present time applies themselves and works hard.... there's plenty of work available at good wages. All of us that were present were working well over 40 hours per week, with plenty of offers to do over-time or work a second or third job, each person also owned rental income property mostly in the form of a multi-family house, so they were running a commercial business on the side in addition to working full time as a nurse.

I really don't understand why so many on this forum spend so much time hand wringing over lost opportunities and the economy, there're plenty out there for the person willing to get up off their behind and do something to improve their situation. It only takes two years of hand work and study to become a registered nurse, but one does have to put down the beer and pass a drug test in order to get the job.

+1, we’ve got income tendrils
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 14:38   #63

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:

So using your logic the 1.3 million people working for Walmart or the 300,000 working for McDonalds just aren't trying hard enough and should be using their paycheck excess to buy rental property????
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 15:31   #64
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
So using your logic the 1.3 million people working for Walmart or the 300,000 working for McDonalds just aren't trying hard enough and should be using their paycheck excess to buy rental property????
Please work on your reading comprehension because you apparently missed the entire last paragraph of my post, seeing as you left it out when you quoted it.

People in America have the opportunity to work their way up economically via education and/or hard work, unlike some other countries like maybe yours..... wherever that is.
Old 16-02-2019, 17:38   #65

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Please work on your reading comprehension because you apparently missed the entire last paragraph of my post, seeing as you left it out when you quoted it.

People in America have the opportunity to work their way up economically via education and/or hard work, unlike some other countries like maybe yours..... wherever that is.
I are educated and read good, thank you. Your last paragraph was irrelevant. Kinda like coming out strongly for apple pie. So what difference does the country I'm in have to do with anything. Do you suddenly get smarter when you go to Italy?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 14:25   #66

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Some people start with their feet on the dirt below the bottom rung of the ladder. Some start farther up thinking they are at the first rung. A couple of local politicians think they are self made when daddy hands them a few million to raise themselves by their bootstraps.
Old 17-02-2019, 14:30   #67

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:

So you are suggesting everyone becomes a nurse?
I guess if that happens their wages will drop as there is a glut of nurses but burger flippers pay will increase as there are few of them left.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 14:39   #68

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

I'm not an economics expert by any stretch, but 2008-2010 was rough on used boat prices. It seems that when used boat prices fall, they simply don't recover (at least the ones I watched).

It wasn't until after the crash that I could afford my current ride. Paid cash. Felt bad, but that was the market.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 14:53   #69

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:

On a micro level, increased education and "working hard" is good advice. I've made a career of it, adjusting to economic terms as the playing field changes.

On a macro level its ignorant. There is a glut in the employment market. We only need so many jobs filled and they don't need collage degrees. So they don't demand much more than minimum wage.

For cruisers who's jobs aren't portable. Your owners don't like you moving on to a new plantation to make money
Old 17-02-2019, 15:04   #70
KTP

You could buy a sailboat and buy far dated puts, such that when your sailboat drops 100k because Europe crashes, your puts go up $1M and you can buy a bigger boat.
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 15:06   #71
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

In coming years even the "healthiest" economy will only require a small fraction of the population be employed.

We will definitely need to come up with new (versions of our) political / economic models to balance the needs of capital vs the common people.

Work as currently defined is not necessary for a dignified life.

And constant growth of extraction / consumption of physical goods (atoms vs services) needs to be reversed not just discouraged.

Levels of "development", as in physical security, ease and comfort will increasingly equalize around the world, and needs to do start to do so within (increasingly irrelevant) national borders as well.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 15:12   #72

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
My preferred assumption is I am paying for the time enjoyed on the boat.

Zero expectation to get any cash back out when I sell.

Yes maybe I'll get some, but that is not assumed in financial calculations.

And things like politics, state of the economy and currency fluctuations are 100% irrelevant, no one can predict the future, but yes pretty safe to assume disasters will get worse and their frequency accelerate.

What John said!!!!

I am 59, I will stay on that boat for as long as I can and I expect to have to pay to get rid of it.

If your waiting for a lower price rest assured the price will come down but while your waiting life ticks by and while you can always make more money, you can't get anymore time.

As boatman said... don't invest more than you can lose. When you buy a boat your buying a life style not an investment.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 15:14   #73
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Great line!

.....unless you have one of those keels that comes off!!!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 15:24   #74
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
On a micro level, increased education and "working hard" is good advice. I've made a career of it, adjusting to economic terms as the playing field changes.

On a macro level its ignorant. There is a glut in the employment market. We only need so many jobs filled and they don't need collage degrees. So they don't demand much more than minimum wage.

For cruisers who's jobs aren't portable. Your owners don't like you moving on to a new plantation to make money
Then people need to move to where the high paying jobs are located. Yeah the weather sucks here in New England, but guess what? Some of the highest paying jobs in any field (nursing for example) just happen to be here... where the weather sucks. So I stand by my opinion that people need to get up off their behinds, acquire an education in any field and get to where the jobs are located. Geez... I even spent five years working as a house painter when I was in my 40's and made excellent money, because I learned how to be good at what I was doing. Not everyone needs a college education to do well, and not every college educated person will do well. It takes dedication and hard work in any field to succeed.

Sorry if this isn't PC, but maybe lots of folks on this globe just need a swift reality kick in the buttocks to get going instead of a trophy for trying.
Old 17-02-2019, 15:24   #75

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Sadly their 'grand plan' was based on the eventual sale of their boat for at least what they paid for it funding in part or whole, the purchase of somewhere to retire to ashore;

I don't want to be rude but... I don't see how anyone could be that naive.

Dunning and Kruger in real simulation?
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing