Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2015, 06:37   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Sailing in a nutshell - Liveaboard, 1st boat, costs, super budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
Statefarm is unlikely to want to insure a liveaboard, cruising, old boat. Try, though - I know that part of our issue was that we wanted comprehensive because this is our only home.
Why insure a $5,000 boat?

I have State Farm. It's $10.00/month for $500,000 liability, but I only have it because of the marina I'm at which stipulates insurance.

If you are going to cruise an old boat, save the insurance money for a backup boat.

Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List

http://atomvoyages.com/planning/cruising-q-a-a.html
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:23   #17

thomm, thanks yes i want exactly sure what the ins and outs were.. 10 / month is nothing and prob worth it.. another thing, i have a skippers license for vessel up to 27ft, and safety training certification etc -

does anyone ever stop a sailor and ask for some form of seamanship? esp in the caribbean / those places?

yes, im just trying to get a rough idea of the minimum requirements to do this on a budget.. and just be prepared for the small stuff so i can have it in order without any surprises along the way..
fstarocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:29   #18

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

..there are nothing like a "cheap boat".. a cheap one generally (no, let me rephrase here..) always need a tons of money, time and effort.
Would suggest save some money and get a decent 30'...
The whole idea about get a cheap boat, sail the oceans, have a love in every port, etc, etc, etc.. it's just a dream... the reality is you need to have a safe boat, get the in deep knowledge about sail from point a to point b and survive in the process, and when you reach the port, a long list of maintenance is waiting for you..
About insurance.. they're basically just 2 world cover insurance for sailing.. Pantaenius and Lloyd..
Good luck with your path.. but again.. get a good boat or you're gonna spend time and money anchored other than sailing..
Old 05-12-2015, 08:36   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrobito View Post
..there are nothing like a "cheap boat"...
Read yesterday about a couple that bought a boat for 2k without a motor, rebuilt a used one (total cost) $580- and sailed for few months with it.. saying there isnt such a thing as a cheap boat seems to counter thousands of users experiences - its all relative, but there is no rule - so i disagree with you, politely of course.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:55   #20

Yes, yours is the basic plan. Make sure the boat you buy is worth keeping up. Hull, rudder, engine, tanks, sails, rigging, is the important stuff.
Anchoring and navigation must be learned. Reefing and boat handling. It's easy to learn, and most who have learned are still learning or get surprised anyway.
Plenty of places to anchor for free, but many countries require a fee when you check in.
There are no requirements for "being a sailor" from the countries you visit.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:16   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yes, yours is the basic plan. Make sure the boat you buy is worth keeping up. Hull, rudder, engine, tanks, sails, rigging, is the important stuff.
Anchoring and navigation must be learned. Reefing and boat handling. It's easy to learn, and most who have learned are still learning or get surprised anyway.
Plenty of places to anchor for free, but many countries require a fee when you check in.
There are no requirements for "being a sailor" from the countries you visit.
perfect answer - exactly what i was curious about! tx for summing it up perfectly..
Old 05-12-2015, 09:21   #22

Boat: Prout

Three years in the Caribbean. Buying a cheap yacht doesn't mean it will be cheap to maintain. Few live aboard go into Marinas but most islands/countries find ingenious ways of extracting cash from you even to anchor. Till you get to Curaceo and Colombia food is expensive, at least compared to the UK. Apart from St Maartens parts are silly money and far more expensive than the more competitive market of the UK and presumably the USA
inchcailloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:03   #23

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
a cheap one generally (no, let me rephrase here..) always need a tons of money, time and effort.
ALL boats require maintenance, which costs money. That's a given.

But I bought my boat for a song, and because I'm a KISS gal, as in Keep It Simple & Stupid, she doesn't need "tons of money".
It really depends on what a person feels they 'need' to be comfy and happy.
Turns out, I need very little.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:54   #24

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Brother, with all the professional talent you have everything in your plan in going to be a walk in the park. Keep going, its all gonna happen and you'll just love it, picking up work along the way.
One thing....assume that you'll be aboard forever so choose the boat size & blue water suitability wisely.
Your skills = 'the whole world is your oyster'.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:23   #25

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstarocka View Post
Read yesterday about a couple that bought a boat for 2k without a motor, rebuilt a used one (total cost) $580- and sailed for few months with it.. saying there isnt such a thing as a cheap boat seems to counter thousands of users experiences - its all relative, but there is no rule - so i disagree with you, politely of course.

..one thing is get lucky with a boat, a different one is the hard reality... But well.. everybody have a different experience... live to learn..
Old 05-12-2015, 13:11   #26

Quote:
..there are nothing like a "cheap boat".. a cheap one generally (no, let me rephrase here..) always need a tons of money, time and effort.
The whole idea about get a cheap boat, sail the oceans, have a love in every port, etc, etc, etc.. it's just a dream... the reality is you need to have a safe boat, get the in deep knowledge about sail from point a to point b and survive in the process, and when you reach the port, a long list of maintenance is waiting for you..
About insurance.. they're basically just 2 world cover insurance for sailing.. Pantaenius and Lloyd..
Good luck with your path.. but again.. get a good boat or you're gonna spend time and money anchored other than sailing..
What ?

I have a $2,000.00 Bristol 27.

I wasted $1500 on a second old diesel engine which I installed that failed then bought a 2012 5HP 4 stroke outboard.

So I have maybe $6,000 in mine (which includes my new mainsail, new jib sheets, and bottom paint, the outboard, etc) before I started adding solar, AC inverter

My boat is strong also it appears. I've had it out in winds to 30 mph. I was in 25-30 for 4 hours with absolutely no problem. (downwind)

I'm quite sure I could cruise the Caribbean with my boat without problem. Also, the weather is much different up here than down there and my boat has no problems in this weather

I bought this boat in 2011. Btw, I just came back from sailing it out into the Chesapeake Bay. It was a cold but a very nice day

When I first got it, I would take it out in windy conditions to see how it held up (in protected waters)

It did well. I checked my mast last week ,and it is still centered from when I adjusted the rigging 3 years ago. This is weird for a racer though because I used to adjust the rigging between races (buoy).
Old 05-12-2015, 22:52   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
What ?

I have a $2,000.00 Bristol 27.

I wasted $1500 on a second old diesel engine which I installed that failed then bought a 2012 5HP 4 stroke outboard.

So I have maybe $6,000 in mine (which includes my new mainsail, new jib sheets, and bottom paint, the outboard, etc) before I started adding solar, AC inverter
not bad for 6k (ex solar) - there plenty of good deals laying around every week or two - one just has to know how to REALLY scour the net - and I do
Old 06-12-2015, 06:14   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstarocka View Post
not bad for 6k (ex solar) - there plenty of good deals laying around every week or two - one just has to know how to REALLY scour the net - and I do
I can't find deals like my boat on the net.

Mine was at a boatyard 8 miles out in the boonies from a town of 1500 people. It didn't have a for sale sign on it but looked as if it had been there for quite a while.

Turns out it had been there 5 years and was for sale for $2,000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2000 bucks.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	114405   Click image for larger version

Name:	2000 1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	114406  

Old 06-12-2015, 06:34   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

boat deals arenopt publicized.
i bought my formosa for a grand total of 4650 usdollars. yeah i was most fortunate to get a decent and even impressively awesome boat for 5000 usd. rare find.
when you arre on water itis easier to find good deals than onland..landlubbers donot get the fine and good deals. oops.
so.. might wanna start out with opb for a year or two then as you learn from the others, save for what you WANT not what ye can get.
i am different, a si learned to ssail loong ago since age 7 and was fortunate enough to have learneed from an old nmaster and on a sturdy old wood raceabout, gaff rigged, with no amenities whatsoever. even had a leaky old rowboat to get to the mooring she was using.
so... find someone to sail with who has a boat.
then another with a different kind of boat and so on until you find what turns your head and makes your heart beat, then see about finding one of those for best price around.
good luck.
ps. this takes more than year to accomplish.....i first moved onto boat in 1990, not this one--i was looking ... i found this one in 2004, talked him into selling by 2008 and got it for me in 2008 or 2009. papers say 2009 but my memory says 2008. june.
took me while to wear him down, and the birth of a grandkid.(his) for me to get this boat....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 13:00   #30

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Communications when down island gets more rudimentary. Plan on more expense and slower more spotty connections. U r light years ahead of me in knowledge base.

Another thing to consider are the fees for entrance into many islands as a gov't tax so to speak. Lots written.

The last thing is the most important. Big winds in shallow waters can be more than a tempest in a cup. Get caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.... Holy Mother of God experience. Study weather a lot, know how to get grif files, how to interpret them and how to get to a safe spot. The last hurricane that ripped through the Bahamas was only forecast as storm. Then it turned real nasty in a hurry. A full size cargo ship was lost with all hands on board east of the Bahamas and they will never know why the experienced skipper took the route he did. It is serious business dealing with major weather. Get caught out and u get a chance to visit Davey Jones and his grandfather Neptune. Most of all enjoy the experiences and keep us informed.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, liveaboard, sail, sailing